Vegan Ratios

Options
What do vegans/vegetarians strive for in the ratio category. I can achieve 15% protein, however my carbs and fat are always skewed towards the carb side. Is it ok to be around 20-24% fat and 60+ on carbs?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I do 55% carbs, 30% protein, 15% fat. It's all about your needs and personal preference. As long as you hit the bare minimum for fat for proper hormone regulation you're fine. Protein is more important.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    how many grams is 15% ?
  • s_wilson84
    s_wilson84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well the 15% is dependent on the amount of calories I consume. Typically I get about 70-80 grams of protein.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm having a vegan month and finding protein macros really hard to stick to. I'm around 100g under my protein every day. Slightly worrying.

I'm on lentils and pulses but what else do you use?
  • DinahCakes
    DinahCakes Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If I were u (and since I'm not I guy for starters, I'm not u), I would go online to body building vegan websites. If those guys don't know protein ratios for vegans, I don't know who would.

Veganly and too sedentarily, Dinahcakes
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I started eating whole foods/plant based Jan 1. I've cut out oils also. I saw T. Colin Campbell recommended 80/10/10. The latest USDA guidelines for adults are 45-65 carbs, 10-35 protein, and 20-35 fat.

My goals are 70/15/15, but in practice I've been seeing 67/16/17.

My main fat sources are ground flax seed and other grains, avocado and olives. My primary proteins are legumes.
  • s_wilson84
    Options
    That's pretty typical of what I've been seeing too. I guess I'm doing something right because since January 1st I'm down 10lbs. I just wanted to know where everyone else is. Once I am to my GW I would like to sustain this way of eating.
  • Wade406
    Options
    This is a good document from the World Health Organization:
    http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/publications/trs916/en/gsfao_overall.pdf

My goal is to eat this way the rest of my life.
  • s_wilson84
    Options
    That is a great article. Thanks for sharing.
  • IrisWalgraeve
    Options
    I've been trying to change the nutrient ratios on myfitnesspal to 80/10/10, but have no idea where of how I can do this. Any help?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I started eating whole foods/plant based Jan 1. I've cut out oils also. I saw T. Colin Campbell recommended 80/10/10. The latest USDA guidelines for adults are 45-65 carbs, 10-35 protein, and 20-35 fat.

My main fat sources are ground flax seed and other grains, avocado and olives. My primary proteins are legumes.

Yikes! No thanks, I'll keep my lean tissue!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I've been trying to change the nutrient ratios on myfitnesspal to 80/10/10, but have no idea where of how I can do this. Any help?

My home > goals > change goals > custom

Or, if you'd like to lose fat and retain lean tissue you can eat a healthy diet. Just sayin'...
  • Wade406
    Options

Yikes! No thanks, I'll keep my lean tissue!

I'm not sure what you mean, are you talking about your muscles when you say "lean tissue"? And what are you saying Yikes about? The low protein levels, or something else? What are you eating to get your protein levels up to 30%?
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and have my ratios set to 40C/30P/30F. However, I am always under on protein and over on the other two. I don't know if I will ever manage to hit my macros, but it helps make me more mindful of trying to get enough protein.
  • ubergerm
    Options
    In his book "Prevent and Reverse Heart Decease", Dr. Esselstyn says that we should not consume more then 10% fat as part of our daily calories. That includes all types of fat. His clinical studies showed that 10% is about maximum amount to preserve healthy cardiovascular system. For people who have any form of cardiovascular decease, he recommends even less.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I rock the 80/10/10 diet
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    42% across the board.
    That's 126% of good clean nutrition
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein but most days it looks like 50% carbs, 35% fat, and 15% protein, which is still fine with me. i'm still getting the protein i need, and because of the extra (good fats! mostly nuts!) i don't feel hungry as often like I used to before i upped my fats.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My ratios come in at 45% carbs (144g)-30% protein (96g)-25% fats(36g) and I come pretty close day to day.

Kinda funny that someone would think vegans have different ratios.. we're still human ya know ;)
  • Wade406
    Options
    In his book "Prevent and Reverse Heart Decease", Dr. Esselstyn says that we should not consume more then 10% fat as part of our daily calories. That includes all types of fat. His clinical studies showed that 10% is about maximum amount to preserve healthy cardiovascular system. For people who have any form of cardiovascular decease, he recommends even less.

I have a hard time hitting the 10% number on a weekly basis. Some days I'm there. But I do like an avocado or 2 per week. And I add olives to my food sometimes. But I never add oil or cooking spray to anything.