Sitting more than 8hrs?

Options

Replies

• 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    1Pretty_Busy_Mom Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm sat all day, 5 days a week too. think its a good idea to try and leave your desk every hour for a walk around/ get a glass of water.... it can help with hunger too!

Okay Thanks
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    Hi i do 12 hour shifts sat behind a desk 5 days a week with no breaks, i tend to try and walk about every hour even if its just to the toilet or for a drink.

Maybe for a drink but I will pass on the public bathroom.
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    I have looked online and they say drinking water doing arm and leg exercises. Things like leg lifts pumping your arms tightening and releasing your abs are all things you can do

it you office allows you can sit on a balance ball. it is also beneficial for you back if you have lower back problems

Balance ball at work..negative..not gone happen. Good idea though
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    Hey there! I too have a desk job too, but one of the tips our wellness person gave us was to stand up off of your chair and sit back down. It's like doing squats at your desk. I'm tucked away in a cubicle so I'm able to do it without anyone giving me funny looks, LOL! Also, I started walking for 30 minutes during lunch. You should try a pedometer and try to improve your step count every day. Good luck! :smile:

Like this idea..even I will bring attention to myself. Lol
  • ulrike1995
    ulrike1995 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am at a desk all day too. I keep a pair of walking shoes at work and instead of taking 2 ten minute breaks each day. I take 2 ten minute walks. I also try to walk a couple days each week during my lunch. At the end of the week it usually ads up to about 2 and a half hours of walking. Not bad for just taking a few minutes here and there throughout the week!
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    I work on the second floor and run up eight flights of steps to use the toilet on the sixth floor.

Nice workout
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    I am at a desk all day too. I keep a pair of walking shoes at work and instead of taking 2 ten minute breaks each day. I take 2 ten minute walks. I also try to walk a couple days each week during my lunch. At the end of the week it usually ads up to about 2 and a half hours of walking. Not bad for just taking a few minutes here and there throughout the week!

Not bad at all
  • dporter1183
    dporter1183 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    At work I sit at a desk and look at a computer screen all day long. Who else has an office job that requires more than 8hrs. of sitting? What do you do throughout the day to get by besides hitting up the vending machine?There are no stairs at work and lunch is a quick 30min. I try not to drink too much because I dread using public restrooms (some kind of phobia) and since I'm like 10min.away from work I go home daily.

I replaced my office chair with a balance ball.
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    I have an office job also, i find myself getting up every 1hr or every1/2 hr. just to improve circulation. I work the front desk, so rather than putting everybody's mail in their mailboxes, i deliver it....i am gonna take the one person's advice with doing squats at my desk...every little bit helps....good luck:smile:

Yeah I like that too..
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    At work I sit at a desk and look at a computer screen all day long. Who else has an office job that requires more than 8hrs. of sitting? What do you do throughout the day to get by besides hitting up the vending machine?There are no stairs at work and lunch is a quick 30min. I try not to drink too much because I dread using public restrooms (some kind of phobia) and since I'm like 10min.away from work I go home daily.

I replaced my office chair with a balance ball.

They wont let me do that..lol but then again I could ask.
  • LeLe628
    Options
    I have a desk job also. But I seldom sit here for lunch. I go outside...sometimes even if it's raining. not only is it important for your stress level but it helps you get more physical activity in.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I work at a computer terminal all day....the bane of my existence, having a back problem :angry:
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    Recently I bought a body cycle. Its like a stationary spin bike but its just the pedal part. I put it under my desk. I use it all day long. It was only about $25 at Walmart. Best decision ever.

You could also start a Zumba Lunch like I did at my office!

I like this!! 25bucks..not bad
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have my calendar set to notify me every hour on the hour so I will take notice and at least stand up.

My wife actually went out and bought me one of those old-fashioned egg timers. I rarely use it anymore, but when I first did, folks couldn't tell where the ticking was coming from :laugh:
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    I work on the 14th floor – so taking the stairs works well :)

I walk around the building or the steps on my lunch break.

I offer to do errands and get up and stretch often.

Good Luck!

Wow! You take 14 flights of stairs?? I would pass out.
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    I work at a computer terminal all day....the bane of my existence, having a back problem :angry:

Sucks..and to think of it this office job is where I gained the most weight..wow
  • CappelleArt
    Options
    I'm gonna try this too eventually. In hopes that it will help with my lower back issues as well. I always thought it would look weird, but who cares right?
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    I work in an office sitting 8 hours a day as well, and because of the environment I'm in, I can't have an exercise ball, or do mini workouts at my desk. I take the stairs up and down throughout the day, I wouldn't walk to the vending machine, as that would be too tempting for me! I'm trying to organize a walking group in my office, and use our breaks to take a 15 minute walk around the office/parking lot, something is always better than nothing!

I think we have similar work environment. You're right though something is always better than nothing.
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    A physical therapist told me to do "sitting marches" in my chair. It actually works your abs a little. Sit in your chair, both feet flat on the floor. Hold in your stomach muscles and sit up straight. Raise up your right foot up about 6" off the floor and hold for 3 seconds, and put it down on the ground. Raise your left foot up about 6" off the floor and hold for 3 seconds, and put it down on the ground. If you do it quietly, no one even has to know you are doing it. Do a set of 20 every half hour.
  • CappelleArt
    Options
    Nice post. I sit at a cube 8 hrs a day as well. I used to be good at getting up on my breaks and taking the stairs all the way up to the top floor and coming back to my desk. 2012 was the laziest year for me ever! starting tomorrow I will start doing this again on my 15 minute breaks. It helped with my focus and circulation. Thank you for this post!!! :-)