Water Consumption and What Qualifies as Water?

Options

Replies

• lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    OP: I like your mug in your profile pic. It's udderly fantastic.

I tend to appreciate the finer things in life.... ceramic mugs with teats are definitely one of them.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Oh waiter! Please, can we have a new topic? This one is old and worn.

Before posting a topic, consider using the search function.

agreed!
  • TamHend
    TamHend Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be water but it is recommended to consume 2litres of fluid. So yes, tea, coffee, squash does count.
    This is from the resident GP on BBC Breakfast News.
    I would add it in for tea, but not for say a can of coke, or sadly alcohol.
    [/quote

So is coke or alcohol not liquid?
  • lucasriggs
    Options

Why not coke?

I agree with alcohol though.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Why not coke?

I agree with alcohol though.

because its a powder and not a liquid
  • sevin2
    sevin2 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm a tea drinker too ... no sugar or cream. I don't count it as water, but I'm not worrying about getting so much water either, since I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough fluids by the end of the day!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options

Before replying to a thread with a snarky remark, consider taking off the douche pants and just answering the question, or even moving on. Or hell, since the topic is clearly stated in the TOPIC title, just don't click it. Seriously. It's that easy.

OP - Yes, it counts, all the more since you don't add sweetener. If it's caffeinated, and you aren't used to constantly consuming caffeine, it may cancel out a bit of the hydration, so top it off with a glass of water just in case. Sometime later, though :P
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Before replying to a thread with a snarky remark, consider taking off the douche pants and just answering the question, or even moving on. Or hell, since the topic is clearly stated in the TOPIC title, just don't click it. Seriously. It's that easy.

OP - Yes, it counts, all the more since you don't add sweetener. If it's caffeinated, and you aren't used to constantly consuming caffeine, it may cancel out a bit of the hydration, so top it off with a glass of water just in case. Sometime later, though :P

You can't search your way out of douche pants :P. And good to know my hydration efforts haven't been in vain.... but clearly my literary efforts are somewhat remiss.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

You can't search your way out of douche pants :P. And good to know my hydration efforts haven't been in vain.... but clearly my literary efforts are somewhat remiss.

Yes. I'm terribly sorry for pointing out the search function. Horrible, horrible. Carry on.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I kinda liked the "oh waiter" snarky comment. It was the most interesting part of the thread for me.
  • pennyns
    pennyns Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I count tea as water - not coffee or cola but pretty much anything else including milk (if i have it)
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    So today I experienced a conundrum of sorts regarding my water consumption. I am a habitual tea drinker, and today managed to consume a requisite 8 glasses, not of water, but of tea. More to the point teabags steeped in hot water, no added sweetener. Water being a large component of the tea that I drink/drank/drunk... whatever. Currently, because I have sipped 64 oz of water in a span of about 8 hours, I feel more than adequately hydrated. In fact, I suspect my kidneys are floating somewhere in body cavity, gently sloshing about in all of the tea. Steeping in the juices, as it were. But, alas, I was wondering if they actually count as water? Should I go to my food diary and gleefully click the upward arrows so that my glass rises above half full to almost brimming? So that I can find acceptance that only a person who has a truly and properly hydrated food diary can?

I am just confused about if my tea counts as water, because if I drink anymore liquid right now, I surely will become intoxicated on.... something. These things happen... right?

If it's caffeinated you shouldn't count it as water.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    I think if we were to count all drinks as "water", it would say "beverages" or "liquids" instead. (just sayin') :wink:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I kinda liked the "oh waiter" snarky comment. It was the most interesting part of the thread for me.

Why thank you. It wasn't meant to be mean, just a tad snarky. Like "hey, there's a search function!"

There are a few standard threads that come up all the time on MFP: (1) is this liquid count as water (answer: yes), (2) is my boyfriend/husband/wife/girlfriend/sister cheating on me? (answer: yes and he/she sucks as do ALL men/women!), (3) Have you tried this cleanse or "magic" pill/shake/whatevs (answer: no and neither should you), and (4) hey look at how much I've lost, aren't I awesome!!! (answer: Yes, yes you are. Awesome! And well done!!).
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    dead-horse.gif
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options

Why thank you. It wasn't meant to be mean, just a tad snarky. Like "hey, there's a search function!"

There are a few standard threads that come up all the time on MFP: (1) is this liquid count as water (answer: yes), (2) is my boyfriend/husband/wife/girlfriend/sister cheating on me? (answer: yes and he/she sucks as do ALL men/women!), (3) Have you tried this cleanse or "magic" pill/shake/whatevs (answer: no and neither should you), and (4) hey look at how much I've lost, aren't I awesome!!! (answer: Yes, yes you are. Awesome! And well done!!).

(5). Is it ok to eat after (insert arbitrary evening time here)? or what if I miss a meal? Won't my metabolism die if I don't eat something every two hours. Or something along those lines.
  • x_pix_x
    x_pix_x Posts: 21
    Options
    I can totally understand why long time posters might get jaded with repeated topics, but lets be honest, this is a weight loss forum there's a limited amount of topics realistically and things will get repeated and you will see the same things get asked alot. Yes you could use the search function but likewise nobody forces anyone to open a thread either, it's not like the OP sneakily hid the water question underneath a misleading header :p. Also, sometimes you kinda want to get involved in the forums as it's exciting when you get started on something that is bettering yourself (or maybe I'm just nerdy), you want to get involved+you have a question so you ask it rather than search for it as though it may give you the answer it doesn't give you the interaction that makes you feel like part of a forum. If that makes any sense and doesn't make me sound like too much of a saddo?
  • babyshekamoo
    babyshekamoo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't click that glass in your diary just yet.

Each glass of tea counts as 0.35 of a glass of water, until you've reached the 4th glass of tea, then it's 0.55. So, do the math on that.

Where does this come from? I have never heard it before.

My brain. Cooked special in the snark region. :laugh:

Not to be taken as real advice.

Lol ohhh okay! In that case I like it :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If it's caffeinated you shouldn't count it as water.
    Wrong.

Read the peer-reviewed scientific studies quoted/linked in this thread, thoroughly debunking this old wives' tale about caffeine which pollutes every MFP thread about water/hydration:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821181-myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Whenever I drink a cup of tea I count it as water, I just make sure it's actually 8oz. worth not a small one ya know?