I wish our status could have a nutrition grade

Options
At CalorieCount when you put foods in it not only gives you the calories, protein etc. but, it also give you a grade on the different foods depending on what the nutrients they have and how much sugar etc.

I love getting the status report saying that you are under calorie, but I've noticed in my own diary and others that doesn't always mean a good thing. If I drink 100 oz of coke during the day and nothing else I will still be under calorie, but have nothing going for me nutritionally.

I know some people have their diary open to other people, but if you have enough friends it could be a pain to open it up, look through it and comment. Other days I am just proud of people logging when they''e had a rough day. And then for some of you who no longer need to lose weight being under calorie isn't going to be your goal.

So it would be really nice if somehow MFP generated a status of "PattyYung" logged her calories, came under goal and got a B+ in nutrition today. To take it a step further it would be nice for it to show up on your food page and update things as you added them. It would give you an incentive. For example if you breakfast had you had a D and then you ate carrots for a snack you could now raise your overall grade for the day up to a C-. Then for lunch you could raise it further.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Make it easier for others to judge us
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I'd be sending back peer reviewed literature cited criticisms of the grade received all the time...

Basically I would constantly judge the judger...
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I actually LOVE that idea! Not sure how accurate/biased it would be though.. but all in all, It could be another optional tool that we can use and keep us motivated (much like the weight loss tracker) :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I would try to see if I could maintain a 6 pack while getting a D every day for 60 days.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I would try to see if I could maintain a 6 pack while getting a D every day for 60 days.

on a related note I ate 70 WW points (I'm 5'10 220 and sat around all day) on a day where I stayed under my calorie goals for the day...
  • KatsMom50
    KatsMom50 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like that idea too but seeing that so many people would be judging I would keep it private like I do my journal.
  • amberdust
    Options
    thats why i kept going back to calorie count, i like the nutrition grade it gave everything and what it gave me. (plus it made recoommendations based on what i needed for future days. like less sodium, more potassium, etc)

but i hate calorie count because the database is a joke. this place's database is so much better.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You could always use CalorieCount.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    So, which poor *kitten* are you going to make sit at a computer and go through every food in the database to give it a grade?
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    that is definately an excellent idea!

people judge no matter what, so who really cares anyways. no one should care what others think. i think it would be great to help with eating properly. I myself stick within my calories but I know it isnt always the best choices.

Does MFP have a suggestion area? You should definately tell them about it. :)
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    This would be a major deterrent for me. I want this lifestyle change to be a sustainable one, so you bet your *kitten* I'm going to have a serving of ice cream with hot fudge or a cookie every once in a while. If this means I would get a "C" for the day, even though I have eaten tons of fruits and veggies, that's completely ridiculous.

This is not an easy battle for most people. While I believe it's important to eat as healthy as you can, I don't believe in judging people. I have MFP friends who struggle a lot and go way over one day, but I see them coming back every day and not giving up, regardless of how yesterday went. They are rock stars.

For them to get a grade of a "C" or a "D" and have that status posted for all of their MFP friends to see, would be absolutely horrible. Some of them have rough patches that last days. If they were to receive "C's" or "D's" every day for a week, do you really think they would want to come back and keep logging? It would be the equivalent of shaming someone into losing weight, rather than encouraging and supporting them through the ups and downs of this journey. Definitely not for me.
  • liltenji
    liltenji Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    im already pretty messed up with food and what i consider good others consider bad, and visa versa.
    so whilst im trying to sort my head out i dont think i need to be graded on my food! haha
  • PattyRain
    PattyRain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Interesting reactions.

I'm in this for the long hall. I have 100 pounds to lose. My thought is if I have a problem with someone "judging" me then I'm not going to continue to have them as my friend. I really don't want to be told, "great job!" when I've eaten very poorly even though I am under calories. That's not a friend to me.

I know it isn't completely accurate. For example some people consider honey much more healthy than white sugar.

I could go to CalorieCount, but I have the support I want here and that is more important to me.

It could be set up so you could choose the grade private just like everything else so if it didn't work for you then you wouldn't use it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This would be a major deterrent for me. I want this lifestyle change to be a sustainable one, so you bet your *kitten* I'm going to have a serving of ice cream with hot fudge or a cookie every once in a while. If this means I would get a "C" for the day, even though I have eaten tons of fruits and veggies, that's completely ridiculous.

This is not an easy battle for most people. While I believe it's important to eat as healthy as you can, I don't believe in judging people. I have MFP friends who struggle a lot and go way over one day, but I see them coming back every day and not giving up, regardless of how yesterday went. They are rock stars.

For them to get a grade of a "C" or a "D" and have that status posted for all of their MFP friends to see, would be absolutely horrible. Some of them have rough patches that last days. If they were to receive "C's" or "D's" every day for a week, do you really think they would want to come back and keep logging? It would be the equivalent of shaming someone into losing weight, rather than encouraging and supporting them through the ups and downs of this journey. Definitely not for me.

This.

Also there are very few things that people can agree on in regards to a health "grade." Some people here believe that milk and wheat are unhealthy. Others do not. Where would the grade come from?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

This. It takes a long time for many of us to learn (it's taking me a looooong time to learn). I'd hate to have that *****smacked by grades.
  • uiyewiusdfo
    Options
    Hi buddy :

==== ( http://www.fullmalls.com ) =====

The website wholesale for many kinds of

fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada,****, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is

competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship within short time.

free shipping

competitive price

any size available

accept the paypal

jordan shoes $32

nike shox $32

Christan Audigier bikini $23

Ed Hardy Bikini $23

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15

ed hardy short_tank_woman $16

Sandal $32

christian louboutin $80

Sunglass $15

COACH_Necklace $27

handbag $33

AF tank woman $17

puma slipper woman $30

==== ( http://www.fullmalls.com ) =====
    dsgher
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The grades on Calorie Count are useless. The foods that get As versus the foods that get lower grades makes no sense to me. I'm not eating a cookie bar that gets an A instead of lean beef (a C) some veggies (B) and my ice cream (D+).
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    If I get on the Honor Roll, do I earn a Hamachi Roll? MMMM....yellowtail...:smooched:
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I actually do read most of my friends' end of the day diary post. I comment appropriately. If I notice that someone ate a lot of "healthy" food, I will specifically mention that. A grade system would be fun, but I think it should be optional to have it show, just like how you can customize it to say if you have logged in for x days.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I think that would be interesting, but it would be harder to implement as so many people target macros and have different approaches to the calories they eat. Also, what would it be based off of? USDA guidelines, or something similar depending on the country you're from? The food labels, ala Fooducate? Not sure how it would work.