Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    42% across the board.
    That's 126% of good clean nutrition

That's the answer to everything Taso.
  • NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Mine are set at 70/15/15 but some days I am under on protein. I'm pretty new to watching my macros while dieting, so I'm still getting the hang of fitting my diet around them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. Mine are based on 1g protein per lb of LBM and 0.35g of fats per lb of body weight - as minimums, the variable is the carbs. This sets my protein target at about 120g which I make sure I hit or go over.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I rock the 80/10/10 diet

Yes, yes you do!
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I rock the 80/10/10 diet

and you seem to have plenty of lean muscle mass to me :)
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian & 25% Protein, about 65g/day
  • KetsyBaby
    KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    From all I have read, typical healthy female Protein requirements in a vegan diet are somewhere between 30-80g depending on how active you are. This is from the Skinny B**** book and a few others I have looked at. Not sure what that is as a percentage.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I started out doing a 60/20/20 (C/F/P). After too many episodes of carb overloads (i.e. sleepiness, hunger pangs after finishing a meal, etc.), and my doctor finding genetic markers, I switched my plan around.

Now, I have been following a 50/25/25 (sometimes a 50/20/30) for a few weeks with great success. No more carb overloads and I am still able to run 10ks. A win-win scenario for moi.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I started eating whole foods/plant based Jan 1. I've cut out oils also. I saw T. Colin Campbell recommended 80/10/10. The latest USDA guidelines for adults are 45-65 carbs, 10-35 protein, and 20-35 fat.

My goals are 70/15/15, but in practice I've been seeing 67/16/17.

My main fat sources are ground flax seed and other grains, avocado and olives. My primary proteins are legumes.

Yikes! No thanks, I'll keep my lean tissue!

I'm not sure what you mean, are you talking about your muscles when you say "lean tissue"? And what are you saying Yikes about? The low protein levels, or something else? What are you eating to get your protein levels up to 30%?
    Yeah, I'm talking about muscle tissue. I use a lot of protein powder and high protein bread to get up to 30%. I would feel like complete *kitten* if I was only allowed to get 10% of my calories from protein.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Don't go low on fat: consider your intake of short chain omega-3s and the conversion rate to the useable long chain format, or take a high strength DHA/ EPA marine algae supplement.
  • Wade406
    Options
    Don't go low on fat: consider your intake of short chain omega-3s and the conversion rate to the useable long chain format, or take a high strength DHA/ EPA marine algae supplement.

flax seed meal with my oatmeal and almond milk for breakfast.
  • luciejay
    Options
    That's fine. If you want to measure your macros, it's better you use net carbs, since fruits and vegetables are carb-heavy but they're GOOD carbs and very high in fiber. I eat 1500-1800 cals a day and around 200-250g carbs a day, and I only eat whole grain and fresh produce. Make sure you keep your protein at around 15% though!
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Protein Protein Protein.....There are some GREAT Vegan Protein Supplements out there....a few of my favorites:
    PlantFusion
    LifeBasics
    Garden of Life - Raw Protein
    Nutiva Hemp Protein

Most have 15g or better (PlantFusion has 20+g)

Good way to make sure you are meeting your protein needs.
  • Wade406
    Options
    Many people focus on protein. There is however a large body of evidence presented by very credible sources that the average person needs about 10-15% of his/her total dietary intake from protein, assuming the person is consuming adequate calories. In fact, many MD's and PhD's believe that any more or less will increase the risk of chronic disease.

It depends of course on your goals. If you are trying to increase your muscle and bone mass, you will need more protein, calories, and resistance training to achieve those goals.

On the other hand, if your goal is to retain your existing muscle and bone mass, minimize or reduce any unwanted body mass (fat), and prevent chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and reduce your risk of certain types of cancer, a whole foods, plant-based diet that contains 10-15% protein and 10-15% fat may be for you.

http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/publications/trs916/en/gsfao_overall.pdf
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Many people focus on protein. There is however a large body of evidence presented by very credible sources that the average person needs about 10-15% of his/her total dietary intake from protein, assuming the person is consuming adequate calories. In fact, many MD's and PhD's believe that any more or less will increase the risk of chronic disease.

It depends of course on your goals. If you are trying to increase your muscle and bone mass, you will need more protein, calories, and resistance training to achieve those goals.

On the other hand, if your goal is to retain your existing muscle and bone mass, minimize or reduce any unwanted body mass (fat), and prevent chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and reduce your risk of certain types of cancer, a whole foods, plant-based diet that contains 10-15% protein and 10-15% fat may be for you.

http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/publications/trs916/en/gsfao_overall.pdf

Care to share these sources that show that maintaining LBM on a deficit is optimized at 10%, especially as half the people here are on a 1,200 calorie diet which = 30g of protein?
  • Wade406
    Options

Care to share these sources that show that maintaining LBM on a deficit is optimized at 10%, especially as half the people here are on a 1,200 calorie diet which = 30g of protein?

The suggested range should be seen in the light of the Joint WHO/FAO/UNUExpert Consultation on Protein
    and Amino Acid Requirements in Human Nutrition, held in Geneva from 9 to 16 April 2002

I didn't say anything about a deficit, I assume you mean a caloric deficit. And I didn't say anything about "optimized at 10%". I said 10-15% of total calories ASSUMING ADEQUATE CALORIC INTAKE. What I meant by "adequate" is to maintain present body weight. Not everyone here is maintaining a caloric deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

The suggested range should be seen in the light of the Joint WHO/FAO/UNUExpert Consultation on Protein
    and Amino Acid Requirements in Human Nutrition, held in Geneva from 9 to 16 April 2002

I didn't say anything about a deficit, I assume you mean a caloric deficit. And I didn't say anything about "optimized at 10%". I said 10-15% of total calories ASSUMING ADEQUATE CALORIC INTAKE. What I meant by "adequate" is to maintain present body weight. Not everyone here is maintaining a caloric deficit.

There are many studies showing that the WHO recommendation (I think it is about 44g for women off the top of my head) is not optimal - it also does not take account of activity level. The more active you are the more protein is going to be optimal (even the WHO indicates that but does not go as far as to give recommendations) . As most people on here are on a caloric deficit, then it pays to be clear.
  • Wade406
    Options
    "Optimal" is a nebulous word/concept. It really depends on one's goals, don't you agree?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    "Optimal" is a nebulous word/concept. It really depends on one's goals, don't you agree?

If your goals are not to maintain as much LBM as possible on a deficit, then yes, I would.
  • Wade406
    Options

If your goals are not to maintain as much LBM as possible on a deficit, then yes, I would.

So a man recovering from a heart attack trying to avoid quadruple bypass may not care about how much LBM he maintains, he might just be trying to reverse his heart disease eating a whole foods plant based diet like the one I'm trying to encourage my father to get on. Whole foods plant based diets by their nature achieve 10-15% protein. A protein supplement is not a whole food btw. Legumes are.

You relaize this topic is Vegan Ratios. One of the main reasons people become Vegans, hold it, the only reason I became a Vegan is because the data is clear and indisputable that animal based diets lead to heart disease, certain cancers, autoimmune diseases, and other ancillary health risks. I've got another 40 years to live and I don't want to cut that short.