Options

Replies

• purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    LOL Tracy Anderson.

Ever seen this? Preposterous
    http://www.oprah.com/health/Gwyneth-Paltrows-Workout-Routine

omfg bahahaha i had no idea who Tracy anderson even was. no woman should ever lifter heavier than 3lbs?!?!? pssshhh

The only reason they're sweating so much is cos it's hot as balls in that room.

Gwyneth looks like skeletor :noway:

Why the hell IS the room they're working in so hot?

I've never noticed a difference in my training whether I've worked out in a hot and stuffy room or an air conditioned room.
  • sianll
    sianll Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Fabulous counter with that picture - that woman is my new pin up!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 pound weights because I am training for door opening and laundry folding.

Win!
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    No woman should ever lift more than 3 1b weights..... WHAT THE HELL???? And the celebrities go to this woman? STRANGE!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 pound weights because I am training for door opening and laundry folding.

Win!

ROFLMAO!!!!! And purse lifting and milk can lifting.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting heavy weights my entire life and numerous injuries while doing this which at times keeps from working out for an extended amount of time. Lifting heavy weight has produced the bigger muscles that I wanted when I was younger but the downside of this is the lifelong maintenance for these big muscles don't kid yourself neither if you don't beleive me look at Jean Claude Van Damme in the Expendables 2 and see those Large floppy Biceps. I have switched off the heavy weights and started with many push-up reps and that works well with muscle building and less likely for injuries.

Great first post!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Found this on yahoo (originally from an article in Woman's Day on 10 ways you make yourself look older than you are)

2. Lifting Too Much at the Gym

"No, you shouldn't stop exercising. But overworking large muscles, such as the triceps, quads and biceps, can cause sagging in the long run," says celebrity fitness instructor Tracy Anderson.

“As connective tissues loosen with age, an overworked aging muscle produces an undesirable skin tone,” she explains. "Focus on accessory muscles around the larger thigh and belly muscles, which can give you a more balanced look. For each group of muscles, use weights under three pounds each and do more reps, Anderson adds."

I've never heard this before, and based on what I've heard from women who lift on here, I'm skeptical. What says you?

Hey, Sarah. Ms. Anderson apparently has never studied carnosine, beta-alanine, fibroblasts, the Hayflick limit, or telomeres. If she had, serious people wouldn't be rolling their eyes at her comments.
  • lotusspark
    Options
    That is a scarry article.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting heavy weights my entire life and numerous injuries while doing this which at times keeps from working out for an extended amount of time. Lifting heavy weight has produced the bigger muscles that I wanted when I was younger but the downside of this is the lifelong maintenance for these big muscles don't kid yourself neither if you don't beleive me look at Jean Claude Van Damme in the Expendables 2 and see those Large floppy Biceps. I have switched off the heavy weights and started with many push-up reps and that works well with muscle building and less likely for injuries.

That's a diet issue, not a weightlifting issue...
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Sadly her program is actually pretty sucessful in achieving the look she's going for. You've heard of the warrior diet and the spartan program? Well hers is kinda like what happens when the warriors get captured and put into a POW camp. Really really low cals, hardly any protein or fat and performing a light manual task over and over and over again. Clearly thats going to leave you skinny and weak which is what she's after....
  • DaisyAliceB
    DaisyAliceB Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sadly her program is actually pretty sucessful in achieving the look she's going for. You've heard of the warrior diet and the spartan program? Well hers is kinda like what happens when the warriors get captured and put into a POW camp. Really really low cals, hardly any protein or fat and performing a light manual task over and over and over again. Clearly thats going to leave you skinny and weak which is what she's after....

*giggling*

Don't want to flog a dead horse but THREE lbs?!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds in 10 months. I think the only thing that saved me from sagging IS lifting. ***** is nuts. End of story.

WOW! This is extremely impressive! Most people on here insist that you can't lose more than 1/2 pound a week while lifting, but you sure blow that theory out of the water. Congrats on your hard work and success. You look fantastic! There is nothing sagging on you, dear!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I want to punch this Anderson chick in the face.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    oh wait..
    you wanted women. here's ernestine shepherd. she's in her 80s

Ernestine-Shepherd-Bodybuilder.jpg

man, i've just been out done by an 80 year old.

My new super hero! I have 30 yrs to work on getting this body! I think I will need every one of them.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    "Focus on accessory muscles around the larger thigh and belly muscles, which can give you a more balanced look. "
    I can kinda see the logic. Take a look at Arnold; he overtrained and now he looks horrible.

3 pounds, though? I guess moms shouldn't lift babies, then!

Anyway, I agree that you shouldn't just focus on the big muscles. For health, you should work antagonistic and accessory muscles too, particularly if you want to support your joints. Even development is really important.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The collars on my wife's barbell weigh more than 3 lbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    People like Tracy Anderson leave females, who are unfamiliar with how exercise actually works, with the impression that they should rely on her methods because of the malnourished look of many Hollywood stars that makes them look good on TV. It's a disservice to people like myself who actually studied kineosiology and physiology.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    People like Tracy Anderson leave females, who are unfamiliar with how exercise actually works, with the impression that they should rely on her methods because of the malnourished look of many Hollywood stars that makes them look good on TV. It's a disservice to people like myself who actually studied kineosiology and physiology.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Ah! Maybe you can help me understand how the accessory muscles might be worked without involving the big "abdomen" or "thigh" ones. Because to me it sounds 1) impossible, or freakish, at the least or 2) like a total waste of time.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I especially chuckled when, in the video, Gwynnie said that the arm she uses to carry her 25# kid around with is firmer than the other one so she has to work out the non-kid-carrying arm more. WTF? Is she too dumb to use any logic?

In the swimsuit photo, she is skinny-fat with a droopy behind. The poster child for what-not-to-do.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    As soon as I saw "Tracy Anderson" I stopped reading. Everything she says gets on my nerves, including her opinion on how women shouldn't lift more than 3lbs! :explode: I wouldn't trust her at all if I were you.