What foods are you cutting out to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I haven't officially cut anything out, but I tend to veer away from:

- cheese (never was a big cheese person though)
    - pasta (especially with creamy sauces)
    - pizza (of the fast food variety, homemade is okay)
    - McDonalds' (it makes me feel sick now)
    - high calorie beverages (switched to whole fruit instead of fruit juice)
    - white potato (which I never really liked much anyway)
    - full cream milk (switched to skim/soy)
    - sugary yogurt (switched to Greek and am never going back!)

So nothing was really taboo, so long as it fit into my calorie limits. But eventually I found that 400 calories worth of chocolate was nowhere near as filling as 400 calories of chicken and vegetables.

But now that I've reached my goal, I've set a new goal: to clean up my diet. Which means I'm trying to cut down on:

- white rice/bread/pasta (trying to switch to the brown stuff)
    - diet soda (seriously, the amount I drank last year was ridiculous)
    - junk/highly processed food in general

While also working on...

- cooking properly (I was on catered accomodation for the whole of last year)
    - learning how to stop a binge before it gets too bad (so no family blocks of chocolate in one sitting)
    - improving my relationship with food (and not relying so much on calorie counting)
    - lowering my body fat % and add muscle (I have the weight I want, now time to get the body I want!)

So I still have a long way to go...but hey - it's a marathon, not a sprint, right?
  • rebeccaker
    rebeccaker Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all! I even give myself a FREE day every 2 weeks of no tracking at all. I eat what I want and it really helps me not want to eat all the junk the rest of the time!
  • marine71
    Options
    Anything with gluten due to gluten intolerance and garlic (my fears of allergy have been confirmed).
  • cheshire29
    Options
    Did not completely cut out anything, just eat much less. Tracking has been the key to my success. I eat much less of the following:

Soda (went from everyday to probably every other day, sometimes less)
    Dessert
    Fast food (have not had in many many months)
    Bread
    Dairy
    Fancy coffee
    Juice and sugary beverages

It is shocking how much less I eat. Took a while to not feel "hungry". I realized I was just bored and found things to fill my time and stop being so lazy.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Cutting stuff that doesn't taste good.
    Reducing some other things, but don't have to cut anything I really enjoy.
  • madzdad
    madzdad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All soda, with and without sugar. I've been reading about the studies in JAMA that show that most artificial sweeteners can still cause an insulin reaction that can have the body store fat anyway.
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I quit pop the first part of November because of the amount of swelling I had in my feet and ankles. The swelling, and 14 pounds, as gone in a week. Other than that, nothing is eliminated. It is all about making it fit in the calorie goals for the day.
  • Angiemo3
    Angiemo3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I recently watched a documentary about processed food and I am now trying to go clean. I am slowly changing all my grains to 100% whole grain and trying to eat less pre-made (processed) food with preservatives and eat more fresh and natural foods. This also helps me cut down on the sodium I take in and that will also help with my blood pressure.
  • PipBnz
    PipBnz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i cut out fast food completely.

other treats, chocolate etc in moderation :)
  • AncientLullaby_
    Options
    Oily foods, high sodium and high fat and the obvious high calorie foods !
    I always have my wine and chocolate and they seem to actually boost my weight loss when I use them in moderation
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    not cutting anything... The only thing I avoid as much as I can is pizza tho.

2-3 weeks ago I ate 2 slices of pepperoni pizza for the first time in like 6 months. Tasted like heaven! lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    All soda, with and without sugar. I've been reading about the studies in JAMA that show that most artificial sweeteners can still cause an insulin reaction that can have the body store fat anyway.

Could you link the studies that show a net fat storage in a caloric deficit?
  • twentytwelve12
    twentytwelve12 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I cut out fast food, other things like chocolate and pasta I only eat in moderation
  • jessjayjenk
    jessjayjenk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting out all junk food, ex: pop, chips, fried food, sweets?
    Or do you allow yourself certain things from time to time?

You shouldn't really be cutting anything out of your diet because your body needs nutrients that you get from all food groups. However you should be cutting out refined sugars and bad fats - your body still needs healthy sugars and healthy fats. If you really like junk food, eat it once in a while because if you cut it out entirely you lose motivation and miss those foods and then are more likely to cheat. Don't cut out - make healthier choices.
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Have i made some modifications to my diet to bring in what i consider to be heathier choices? Yes i have. But i have not cut anything out of diet completly. I consider that to be a very unwise choice if you want to sustain your weight loss for long term.
  • unnur16
    unnur16 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i cut out regular soda and eat verrrrry little candy and also i dont eat any mayones, other then that i eat what ever i feel like, if it´s unhealthy i just eat it not as often and little of it and enjoy every bite =)
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm on the eatwell plate , program the dietician gave me , eat what I want but limited quantites , 1500 calories
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eatwell-plate.aspx
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am eating junky food less often, and less of it when I do.

I am not cutting anything out entirely.

This. :)
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Alcohol
    Carbs
    Sugar
    Coffee
    Tea
    Fruit
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Cut out the empty calories mostly, and most processed foods.