Protein shakes - what to add to them

helloo
so i use a vanilla protein powder to make a shake for my morning meals. Im not sure what else i can add to it to tide me over, i want to stick to at least one shake a day but just strawberrys and bananas in it dont really fill me up. Its got 18grams of protein per scoop so its not low on the protein. Any suggestions of what i can add into the shake to fill it up to bit, trying to keep it low in calories but high in protein. right now between the scoop of powder, cup of milk and a half banna and half cup of strawberrys im taking in about 260 calories, 28 grams of protein, 33 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber.
any suggestions would be great!!

Replies

• muhl85
    muhl85 Posts: 17
    What calorie target are you looking at? You could throw 0.5-1 tbsp of peanut butter in there; the fat will help with satiety.
  • id like to keep the shake around 300 calories give or take, im just not huge on peanutbutter
  • You can switch to unsweetened almond milk and save a lot of calories. Then you can add peanut butter, as suggested, but not end up with such a caloric drink. Plus, almond milk is delicious.
  • For great, healthy thickening, throw in a handful of kale, you won't taste it.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    I've been enjoying making my shakes with unsweetened coconut milk, vanilla protein powder, Hershey's cocoa powder, a little Stevia sweetener, and a tablespoon of cold-pressed coconut oil.

When I have to cut back on the fat in order to make my numbers for the day, I use the unsweetened coconut milk, vanilla protein powder, Stevia, and cold brewed coffee or instant coffee crystals to taste.

You could also go with the first recipe above, drop the coconut oil and add a touch of peppermint extract for a Thin Mint-tasting shake.

Hope you find success in your endeavors!
  • lnblnb
    lnblnb Posts: 14 Member
    My recent fav is 1/4 to 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin with a dash of pumpkin pie spice.
  • thanks everyone! i will try out the almond milk since it seems to be the majority, and the kale too.
    the taste doesnt bother me much, its more so that im getting hungry sooner rather than later, but i will try anything to keep the shakes going lol
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Chocolate protein and a little truvia is all i need.
  • I add a handfull of frozen strawberries, it makes it thick and tasty like a milkshake!
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    I am really good with this, bc I can't drink it alone. I always use vanilla as my flavor as well, bc it's easy to manipulate. Here's a list of things I add, not necessarily together, but some of them I combine:
    greek yogurt
    jello chocolate mousse (60 cal)
    peanut butter
    coffee (yes, I know... lol)
    chocolate syrup (sugar free is best)
    cocoa powder
    truvia
    frozen berries
    honey
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Add kale or spinach and ground flax seed, the added fiber from them may help
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    ooh, kale is a great idea, gonna try that.
  • natashalh1998
    natashalh1998 Posts: 56 Member
    Dashingdish.com has some great protien shake recipes. I've tried several different one and they are all very filling.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    I've been enjoying making my shakes with unsweetened coconut milk, vanilla protein powder, Hershey's cocoa powder, a little Stevia sweetener, and a tablespoon of cold-pressed coconut oil.

When I have to cut back on the fat in order to make my numbers for the day, I use the unsweetened coconut milk, vanilla protein powder, Stevia, and cold brewed coffee or instant coffee crystals to taste.

You could also go with the first recipe above, drop the coconut oil and add a touch of peppermint extract for a Thin Mint-tasting shake.

Hope you find success in your endeavors!

Get out of my head! lol... Only diff is I don't care for coconut. I was sure no one put coffee I feel bad putting it in, but geez, it's like a frap but much healthier
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    extracts......almond, mint, vanilla, amaretto (flavored - non alcoholic)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Try a scoop of plain Greek yogurt.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Add 1-3 cups of greens or spinach, change to 1/2 a banana b/c it is high glycemic which means it will spike your blood sugar than it'll drop again quickly making you feel hungry again too soon, keep the strawberries, but add another cup of blueberries, pears, or peaches (a low glycemic fruit) + 2 tsp to 1 TBSP of raw almond butter; you can also add flax seed or hemp seed instead of the almond butter or in addition to it.

EDIT: I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk @ 30 calories per 8 oz
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    you can also add 2 TBSP of any kind if instant jello pudding mix and yes I use unsweetened almond milk as well
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Add kale or spinach and ground flax seed, the added fiber from them may help
    I completely agree on this one!
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Try a scoop of plain Greek yogurt.
    I am trying this tomorrow!