Bad breath from low carb diet

I have been limiting my carbs for a while now to try to burn fat, but recently a coworker had to tell me I had bad breath. I just looked it up and a low carb diet causes your body to burn fat (yay), but in the process it produces ketones, which cause bad breath. Has anyone else experienced this and did you find a solution?

Replies

• Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Gum and/or mints.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Eat some bread or pasta. That should do it.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Some get it, some dont. Mints or pasta I guess?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Limiting carbs is not the same as going into ketosis, simple solution is up your intake of carbs like fruits and veggies, those in nuts, seeds and dairy even if you don't want to eat more wholegrains, beans and lentils. Your body needs plenty of fibre and mineral rich foods not just protein and fat. If you are eating few enough to stay in ketosis I'd question how balanced, varied and nutritious your diet really is.
  • @ Firefox: Awesome advice. Thanks!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Are you doing ketosis diets or low carb?
  • Definitely not doing ketosis diet. Didn't even know there was such a thing. Anyways, I've been following the last poster's advice trying to get plenty of carbs from whole foods while still not eating bread and pasta and stuff, and I think the problem is resolving. :0)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Great news! Hope your weight loss is slow and steady.
  • 3% hydrogen peroxide/water combo works.
    I have had bad breath, lost my job due to it. Tried to find a new job but it's very hard once you stink up the office. I had tonsil stones and awful bad breath. My friend told me to check Oraltech Labs as it got rid of his bad breath and his post nasal drip. I've been following Oraltech Labs bad breath cure program for about 2 weeks now and I feel much better, also people are not avoiding me anymore so it seems to have cured my bad breath as well:-)
  • "3% hydrogen peroxide/water combo works."
    What do you do? Drink it? Swish with it and spit it out? How often?
  • fihealth
    fihealth Posts: 165 Member
    "3% hydrogen peroxide/water combo works."
    What do you do? Drink it? Swish with it and spit it out? How often?

do not drink it!!!!!!! you can use it like mouthwash. over time it can have a slight whitening effect on teeth too but can also thin your tooth enamel, and cause sloughing off of the interior mouth lining.

regular mouthwash used regularly should be fine. and sugarfree gum might be more useful than mints (effect lasts longer).

getting out of ketosis is great because there are dangerous side effects of remaining in ketosis for too long.
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    If you are at the bad breath stage you are burning FAT. Make sure you are taking potassium to protect yourself. Good luck... Hope you are having great success.

I started the low carb diet a couple of weeks ago and I have not noticed my breath issue. Did you notice it on yourself at all? Or were you unaware until a co-worker brought it to your attention?
  • 08kat
    08kat Posts: 51
    Drink lots of water and chew shameless gum. Also on low carb and once I started this combo my breath is fine.
  • 08kat
    08kat Posts: 51
    I hate auto correct, sugarless gum, not shameless.
  • Thanks for all the tips everyone. My breath problem did seem to resolve once I started including more carbs from whole foods as the one poster suggested. And I know everyone keeps telling me to do sugarless gum, but I can't stand the taste of aspartame or any artificial sweeteners. Not a lot of people notice it, but it tastes chemically to me, so I don't consume anything with artificial sweetener in it. What I did wind up doing was getting those little Listerine breath strips, and whenever I have to be talking closely with someone I pop one of those in my mouth first and now I'm confident I have minty fresh breath! :0)
    And I am trying my best to drink plenty of water too - hard habit for me to get into.
  • I am on day 2 and have noticed. I'll stock up on gum and mints. Thanks for posting!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I have been limiting my carbs for a while now to try to burn fat, but recently a coworker had to tell me I had bad breath. I just looked it up and a low carb diet causes your body to burn fat (yay), but in the process it produces ketones, which cause bad breath. Has anyone else experienced this and did you find a solution?

Want to lose body fat? Create a caloric deficit, low carbing not required
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Bad breath is a side effect of eating animal products. Eat a whole foods, plant based diet, and your bad breath will go away.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Bad breath is a side effect of eating animal products. Eat a whole foods, plant based diet, and your bad breath will go away.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    NO