Bump, this is a great idea!!!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Best idea ever ,saw it on pinterest and been doing it since.. salads stay fresh and it assambles it self when you pour on a bowl.
  • Mrs_Fit
    Mrs_Fit Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! I already use mason jars to store my make-ahead smoothies and now I can do salads too! I love the idea of mixing things up and adding what you want!
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I used to sell the salads in a jar (made to order only). They last about 7 days, just as you said. This is a healthy way to prepare lunch for the week. Additionally, they make great colorful gifts. Thanks for posting.
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between salad in a jar and salad on a plate? Portability?
  • susybon
    susybon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Save for later. Thanks for posting!
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between salad in a jar and salad on a plate? Portability?

Yes. It's alot easier sticking a sealed mason jar in your bag when you're on the go versus making it at the office. You can also make them a few days in advance and the lettuce won't get mushy if you pack it right! :wink:
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do something like this but I just use a tupperware type bowl that I can put the lid on and shake it all up. I assemble, shake and eat it right away sometimes, or make up the salad bits in a tupperware and shake up the dressing in small jar by itself which will keep quite awhile in the fridge. That way you can just add dressing and shake when you're ready to have salad. Lemon juice and toasted sesame oil is my go to dressing for awhile now, putting minced garlic in it and letting it sit awhile gives it a nice flavor.. and it also makes a great marinade for meats.
  • XXbrendaXX
    Options
    bump
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    This is ingenious! Thanks for posting!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the new ideas everyone. I'm going to try to keep posting each week's salad in a jar, and would love more ideas for what you put in yours!

I'm still salivating when I think about this week's salad.

Can I have another one for dinner?

:D

Seriously, though, Salad in a Jar has revolutionized my lunch habits.

Because I work for a mobile outreach team, I never know where I'm going to be at lunch time, and some days when "lunch time" actually is. I used to keep snacks in the car, but ended up eating a lot of things I didn't need to and not enough veggies. On REALLY bad days, I would hit up the drive through for a chicken nuggets kids' meal.

If there was a real-life version of Bachelor Chow (from Futurama), I'd be all for it. I HATE thinking about and deciding what to eat. I'm finding that if I've already decided ahead of time (ie, Salad in a Jar, I also do Steel Cut Oatmeal in a Jar for breakfast), I eat a whole lot healthier than if I leave it to the day of or spur of the moment.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Question: The grains listed in the salads, are they raw or cooked?

I plan on putting some of these together this weekend.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Cooked grains.

Uncooked grains would be way too crunchy and hurt my teeth! ;)

I list them as uncooked because it makes counting the calories in each portion easier.

ETA:
    Sorry if this is confusing... when I put the Salad in a Jar recipe in my recipes to calculate it each week, I calculate the grains uncooked for nutritional info purposes (eg, I know I put 1 c millet in 2c water... which you would think equals 3 cups, but it doesn't exactly)...
    But when I put the recipes on this thread, I list the approximate volume of cooked grains.

Make sense?
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    bump
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it does make sense.
  • thomasdyre
    thomasdyre Posts: 25 Member
    Options