Budget Dieting

Options
Well I am back and ready to start eating better and feeling better again. I just recently stopped smoking (11/4/12) and gained 12 pounds as a result. This was after logging and dieting for 2 months and losing 10 pounds.
Now those cravings to smoke are gone and I want to lose this extra weight.
The motivation is there. What I lack is the money.
I have a cabinet full of Lipton Pasta mixes and Spaghettios. I did well all day yesterday but when I got home from work, all I had to make was smoked sausage and fried potatoes. The other alternative was not eating at all.
I don't have to money to go out and buy all new healthy foods. I wish I could.
Any suggestions on how to eat healthy on a budget? I'm really stuggling here.

Replies

• Latona38
    Latona38 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi? They have affordable prices and lots of healthy choices. I'm on a budget too but I can shop for a family of 4 on about $150 and get lots of healthy food
  • BrianBarrett79
    BrianBarrett79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cans of Tuna with Lemon Pepper, and Sandwiches when you are sick of the tuna! =)
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions sizes of the unhealthy stuff and add some healthy stuff to it (veggies and fruits, etc.). When you shop again just start buying healthier alternatives. I understand being on a budget and not being able to toss everything out and start fresh.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try a costco/bottom dollar foods/ BJ's/Walmart, etc They all have better food prices than a regular store (assuming you're in the US)
  • albatrosssherpa
    albatrosssherpa Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    this is my problem too. i do the coupon thing but all that stuff you can get is so calorie dense. As far as fresh veggies and such- farmers markets are good in the spring and summer but food is just so expensive. But i do agree with the Aldis for fresh fruit and veggies.
  • sataylor24
    sataylor24 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am a "coupon and only buy on sale" person. I scour the ads with my coupon organizer and try to only buy what is on sale and try to match a coupon with it. I can also earn fuel points and that helps too.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Keep your eye out for sales and coupons. Eating fruits/veggies that are in season and local will be cheaper also. If you have somewhere you can buy items in bulk like beans, nuts, grains, it will save you money.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    we are also super tight w/ our money too. I do buy the bag of frozen chicken tenders, its alot in there because they are so small for around 6.00 last me about 3 meals w/ a family of 5. grilled chicken tenders and potato. i make chicken tacos w/ onion rotel and a little bit of taco seasning. I eat boiled eggs for breakfast alot. super cheap. and i get a few banana's and apples whatevers on sale. you can buy a pack of flour tortillas and and make roll up w/ just about anything eggs, chicken, peanut butter & banana is my fav.
  • slincoln2007
    Options
    there are always specials at the local grocery stores on frozen healthy meals like lean cuizine, etc. usually they do a "3 for $5" or something like that. What I have learned is that I cant have ANY JUNK IN THE HOUSE (or I will find an excuse to eat it). If your ONLY options are healthy...then you have to do it..or take the "drive of shame" to a fast food place. I like having healthy soups on hand with a loaf of whole wheat bread..so I can at least make toast and soup. I also "pre" prepare for the week the best I can..I bake chicken breasts and sweet potatoes ahead of time (on the weekend) for a quick warm up during the week.
    So bottom line is KEEP THAT JUNK OUT OF THE HOUSE! and plan your meals ahead of the time for the week (you cant eat sausage and potatoes if you don't buy them)
    Oh yea and eggs are great and cheap. Make an egg casserole with turkey bacon and lots of veggies (buy a prepackaged stir fry mix or a can of mixed veggies to dump into the casserole mix)...that will last you all week too! great for breakfast!
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Also you'd be surprised how many bulk foods you can find online for cheaper (not fresh foods obviously). Amazon has good prices on tofu for instance.
  • Shelialouise66
    Options
    To stretch what you already have, add some veggies to the meal. I understand that you can't throw out what you have, but to eat less of it, add veggies. Canned or frozen, whichever you can afford, but it will add some substance to your pasta meals. Do don't state whether you are cooking for a family or not. I know Aldi's is available, but you can get things at Dolllar Tree, Family Dollar and Dollar General. You just have to shop around.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi? They have affordable prices and lots of healthy choices. I'm on a budget too but I can shop for a family of 4 on about $150 and get lots of healthy food
    My wife and I do this. If you have an aldi around, you're doing yourself a disservice by not going.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has a ton of ideas, here's one I saw recently
    http://www.aturtleslifeforme.com/2011/06/freezer-meals-on-cheap.html
  • babymamahowell
    Options

is that 150 a month?
  • AleshaRae82
    AleshaRae82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find that buying fresh fruits/veggies is actually CHEAPER than buying processed foods.
    Once a week we stock up on the fresh stuff at a local 'green market' and then just buy a little protein (chicken, lean pork) from the grocery store.

Never realized how much we spent on junk - mac n cheese, hot dogs, bags of chips, cans of soup (sodium overload!)
    I dont have any children (yet) so my bf and I have plenty of time to plan our meals for the week.
    Everyones situation is different, but even a quick dinner can be healthy if you put some thought into it.
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Aldi. I'm ALL about the produce there. I've never EVER been disappointed in it. Their eggs are SUPER cheap, too (usually run around $.69 a DOZEN here). You won't be disappointed.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    Smaller portions sizes of the unhealthy stuff and add some healthy stuff to it (veggies and fruits, etc.). When you shop again just start buying healthier alternatives. I understand being on a budget and not being able to toss everything out and start fresh.

This!

Also, learn to use coupons! I'm not sure where you are but there are a lot of websites that do all the coupon matchups for you so all you have to do is make lists of what you need track down the coupons and shop! Even saving on toiletries and cleaning aids will help to spend that money on lean meats and veggies that you may not have coupons for! (google what ever store you shop at + coupon match up)

I stock up on things when they are on sale and on regular weekly shopping trips only need to buy milk yogurt and fresh veggies. Takes practice but it's so very worth it!!

Congrats on quitting smoking from one ex-smoker to another!!!!
  • workinprogress1533
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I plan on starting to buy healthier foods as I go. Next time I go grocery shopping, I will buy good foods, I just can't right now. I will make due with what I have and just eat less of the bad stuff. I do have lots of eggs, so the boiled egg idea is something I will use. I could also go get some bananas and apples and some soup for now!
    There is an Aldi's about 30 minutes from me. I've never been but I think I will give it a try! :)
    Thanks again!
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    frozen frozen frozen. don't bother with fresh veggies, frozen veggies are just as (if not more) nutrient dense than fresh and it's much much cheaper. frozen fruit on the other hand is WAY more expensive.

buy frozen chicken - unseasoned, unprepared, just raw frozen chicken. once you add seasonings/preparation then the price/lb goes way up.

also canned beans, particularly kidney and black beans. they are high in protein but also high in carbs. you can eat 1/2 c. cooked and feel quite full. if you're savvy enough to soak beans the night before, then bagged, dry beans are practically pennies.
  • FREEZER BAGS + LEAN PROTEIN ON SALE IN BULK !! Actually anything healthy you can freeze in bulk :)