Bikram Yoga

Options
Has anyone tried Bikram Yoga? I am really interested in giving this a shot. I'm not usually a yoga fan, but I read that you could burn up to 1000 calories in one session. Yay or nay? How did the class go? What did you wear? Thanks!

Replies

• Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Bikram yoga is amazing.
    It isn't to be relied on as a sole weight loss plan but it is a great addition for your 'rest days'

Wear something that is light and your willing to soak with sweat.
    Go with an open mind. I've done a few different classes at different studios and NEVER is any class the same as the other.
    hope this helps!
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I recently tried bikram yoga with a groupon. I love it! It is very challenging (and hot). Normally the less you can wear the better. I usually wear shorts and a sports bra. I wasn't much of a yoga fan before I tried this. Excellent workout.
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    Options
    I love it! Not sure about a thousand calories per session, but I do know that you sweat a lot and you actually feel pretty good after.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I did it at 305 lbs. I doubt you burn 1000 calories. Class went well, some of the moves were hard, but you just do what you can, and most instructors are very good about telling you how to modify for your body type.

I wore spandex shorts under my standard workout shorts, and a T-shirt.

Advice: HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE!
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    love love love love love love love bikram yoga.

I wear synthetic materials to try and control my sweat. it doesn't help. DON"T WEAR A COTTON SHIRT!!!! You will hate it. Also, if it's your first time, don't be afraid to leave the room or sit down for a moment. It's pretty intense.

I would also say, don't do it just for the calorie burn. Yes, that is a huge bonus. But yoga is about focusing on your body and how it's moving and where your head is at. It sounds soooo cheesy. but it's really true. If you go to a class really unfocused about where you physically you won't get as much out of it. That being said, keeping in tune whether your left side feels different from your right side etc etc etc. you probably will burn upwards of 700-1000 calories.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    My wife has been looking for a reasonably priced bikram class here since she moved from San Antonio. She misses the class dearly.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses! I just have to find someone to go with me and a class that is close enough. I love trying out new things!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It's great! The first couple times you feel like you're going to pass out. But you get over it and it's fine. I recommend a YogiToes towel to prevent you from slipping on your mat. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn claims for Bikram or any other "hot" yoga classes are wildly overstated. You should take the class for the other benefits or for personal preference.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I tried it thanks to a Groupon but only did one class. It was just too much for me. They say it's normal to feel like you're going to get sick but sorry, that just isn't for me. Plus I think my teacher was a little judgy, sorry I had to stop to drink water before I passed out! Maybe I just need to find a better place/teacher but I don't see going back any time soon :laugh:
  • starjumper12
    Options
    bikram is fabulous... try it - you'll either love it or hate it. as for what to wear: as little as possible, you will be laying in a puddle by the time you're done.

any kind of hot yoga is awesome for losing weight if you push yourself - i was doing hot yoga 5 days a week from october-december and lost 50lbs.

no one actually knows how many cals you burn in a hot yoga session... it's like a magical unicorn that you can never catch. the conditions are not right for most HRM's, but most people will say between 500 and 1000.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I second the YogiToes, but I'd try it with just a large beach towel on your mat the first few times to see if you like it. YogiToes towels are around $60 each

Edit: I'd try regular hot yoga first if you haven't, It's hot but not 105-115F hot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried Bikram Yoga? I am really interested in giving this a shot. I'm not usually a yoga fan, but I read that you could burn up to 1000 calories in one session. Yay or nay? How did the class go? What did you wear? Thanks!
    Nay on the 1000.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

I do it regularly. It's great. And it's extremely challenging. As far as the calories burned per session I'm not sure but I will tell you this.

My heart rate gets pretty up there. My next seesion I'll wear my HRM as I'm curious myself.

And just a little tip. DON'T sit directly under the heater on your first session as it get's a little intense.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Bikram has a high rate of injury compared to other styles of yoga. Keep in mind that the heat allows your muscles to stretch beyond what is a true stretch for them. People like this because it makes them feel more flexible than they might really be, but make sure you take care not to over do it.
  • legnarevocrednu
    Options
    I tried it thanks to a Groupon but only did one class. It was just too much for me. They say it's normal to feel like you're going to get sick but sorry, that just isn't for me. Plus I think my teacher was a little judgy, sorry I had to stop to drink water before I passed out! Maybe I just need to find a better place/teacher but I don't see going back any time soon :laugh:
    Guess I need to keep my eyes peeled for a groupon deal! Yeah, I think the instructor makes a huge difference.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That being said, keeping in tune whether your left side feels different from your right side etc etc etc. you probably will burn upwards of 700-1000 calories.
    Average burn of yoga is in the 350-500 range at best. You don't burn a lot of calories from isometrics.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My heart rate gets pretty up there. My next seesion I'll wear my HRM as I'm curious myself.
    HRM's aren't accurate at reading strength exercise.

IDEA Fitness member
  • legnarevocrednu
    Options
    I second the YogiToes, but I'd try it with just a large beach towel on your mat the first few times to see if you like it. YogiToes towels are around $60 each

Edit: I'd try regular hot yoga first if you haven't, It's hot but not 105-115F hot.
    I didn't know there was a regular hot yoga! I will do a search for that as well. And thanks for the tip on the beach towel!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I do it regularly. It's great. And it's extremely challenging. As far as the calories burned per session I'm not sure but I will tell you this.

And just a little tip. DON'T sit directly under the heater on your first session as it get's a little intense.

HRMs cannot be used for accurately estimating calories in yoga classes in general, but esp in "hot" yoga. The thermal stress results in an exaggerated HR response that is NOT accompanied by an increase in VO2 or calories burned. So, you'll get a big number on the HRM, but it will be, as I said before, wildly exaggerated, and it is not accurate.