Budget Dieting

Options
13»

Replies

• My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    oh, and the dollar stores for your toiletries, paper towels, etc. i just discovered this little bit of knowledge and save tons on my cleaning supplies - this coming from a die hard Target shopper. i've just had to rethink where i shop. oh, and meals like stuffed peppers - green peppers aren't expensive. use brown rice. some hamburger. onion. tomato sauce. season the heck out of it. and a little cheese on top. pretty healthy, cheap meal.

On the cleaning supplies.... :-) .... I'm kinda on an all natural kick and trying to have a baby and don't want the chemicals in the house in case future child would get into them or one of my furbabies.... Soooo.... You can do ALL cleaning with Vinegar (under $2 a gallon), Baking Soda ($0.49 a box at aldi), Borax (around $4 abox I believe), and Dish Soap ($1 a bottle).

I use a 50/50 mix of borax and baking soda in my dishwasher with vinegar as the rinse agent and my dishes have never been cleaner! A cup of Vinegar, 2 gallons of water, a squirt of dish soap, and a little baking soda will clean your floors like you wouldn't believe! A 50/50 Vinegar/Dish Soap solution powers through soap scum. Baking Soda in the toilet and voila! sparkling clear!

Only thing I buy "name brand" is paper towels because I have furbabies and use a lot of paper towels. If I buy the cheapos, I find I have to use more than double the paper towels to clean up the mess and I'm not paying twice the price for the good ones....

Oh, and have you tried Sante Fe Stuffed Peppers? I use Reds, but they could be made in greens. Use ground turkey, beef or pork, some diced tomatoes or salsa, corn, and black beans. Top with a little monterey jack... Mmmmm!!!!!
  • A_nori
    A_nori Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use this blog a ton for cheap, easy meals. My husband and I both love them and with a little bit of meal planning I have brought down our grocery budget substantially. http://budgetbytes.blogspot.ca/
  • workinprogress1533
    Options
    Well I am back and ready to start eating better and feeling better again. I just recently stopped smoking (11/4/12) and gained 12 pounds as a result. This was after logging and dieting for 2 months and losing 10 pounds.
    Now those cravings to smoke are gone and I want to lose this extra weight.
    The motivation is there. What I lack is the money.
    I have a cabinet full of Lipton Pasta mixes and Spaghettios. I did well all day yesterday but when I got home from work, all I had to make was smoked sausage and fried potatoes. The other alternative was not eating at all.
    I don't have to money to go out and buy all new healthy foods. I wish I could.
    Any suggestions on how to eat healthy on a budget? I'm really stuggling here.

this is probably harsh, but what about all the money you were spending on cigarettes?

By the time I quit, I was down to 2-3 cigarettes a day. So a pack would last me about a week. That's $5 a week, so it's really not that much! Plus I am now paying my own tuition at school so I actually have less money than I did before.
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well I am back and ready to start eating better and feeling better again. I just recently stopped smoking (11/4/12) and gained 12 pounds as a result. This was after logging and dieting for 2 months and losing 10 pounds.
    I have a cabinet full of Lipton Pasta mixes and Spaghettios. I did well all day yesterday but when I got home from work, all I had to make was smoked sausage and fried potatoes. The other alternative was not eating at all.

this is probably harsh, but what about all the money you were spending on cigarettes?

By the time I quit, I was down to 2-3 cigarettes a day. So a pack would last me about a week. That's $5 a week, so it's really not that much! Plus I am now paying my own tuition at school so I actually have less money than I did before.

If finances are really really tight (have to choose between rent and food), have you considered getting student loans?
  • workinprogress1533
    Options

If finances are really really tight (have to choose between rent and food), have you considered getting student loans?

Oh yes. Definitely. I had 2 semesters left before I graduate in May of this year and they told me I am not eligible to receive anymore financial aid. No loans or grants of any sort. You only get financial aid for so many credit hours and I have used all those credit hours. I fought it and lost so now I am paying my own tuition and it leaves me with almost nothing. I am a single mother, trying to work my way (and now pay my way) through school and it's tough. But I'll make it! Almost there! :)
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    hillbilly housewife has some cheap meal ideas though not necessarily the healthiest. I buy a lot of dried beans/peas/lentils and bulk rice from costco. Also frozen boneless skinless chicken breast. I find I am much less hungry with plenty of protein. Eggs are another staple. With this and a large frozen bag of mixed veggies, I can make baked lemon pepper chicken with rice and vegies...baked garlic chicken with rice and vegies...baked taco chicken with rice and vegies...chicken fried rice...chicken stir fry with vegies over rice...ETC. This can also be over noodles or no rice if you want to cut carbs more. Any leftover chicken can be used for on salad for lunch the next day. (bulk at costco/walmart...I have to check aldi's). Taco chicken I often do in the crock pot (chicken breasts and taco seasoning (bulk at costco)). No added oils or anything, then it can be shredded and served on taco shells or tortillas. Leftovers I turn into white chicken chili with great northern beans. (I buy dry and soak overnight, rinse and drain and throw in crock pot with all other ingredients on high all day.) Lenitls can be made with chili, or with cumin, or with curry...or anything else to give variety. Again, you can put in the vegies, or grate carrots and cubed potatoes and onion. (carrots, onion, potato all cheap)

My kids also like "shipwreck" which is ground beef, potatoes, carrots, onion (and whatever else you find cheap) in the crock with only salt and pepper for seasoning.

I can also make a whole pot of 15 bean CHILI with the $2.00 dried 15 bean Cajun mix. soak beans overnight, rinse and drain, place in crock (I LOVE my crock) with a can of organic stewed tomatoes (less than $1.00), onion ($3.00 a BAG at costco), (I throw in grated carrot to get more veggies in),garlic and a splash of lemon juice with the seasoning packet. High all day will have a great flavor that is even better if you freeze and reheat!

Hope some of these help!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Oh yes. Definitely. I had 2 semesters left before I graduate in May of this year and they told me I am not eligible to receive anymore financial aid. No loans or grants of any sort. You only get financial aid for so many credit hours and I have used all those credit hours. I fought it and lost so now I am paying my own tuition and it leaves me with almost nothing. I am a single mother, trying to work my way (and now pay my way) through school and it's tough. But I'll make it! Almost there! :)

When I was putting myself through school, I got as much grant money as possible and applied for scholarships! Being a single mom and non traditional student made a WORLD of difference for me so I was able to get out of school DEBT FREE! (amen!) Look into scholarships!
  • MeaghanAnderson
    MeaghanAnderson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ramen is obviously not the healthiest, but as long as you are aware of you portion sizes, my family cooks up a pretty cheap meal with it. We cook ramen and drain the water out (don't use the seasoning packet at all) Than we cook a bag of walmart frozen stir fry mix and put that in with the ramen with some low/no sodium soy sauce or stir fry sauce. It comes out to about $4-5 dollars and fills me up.
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    whey protein powder is actually pretty cheap, when you compare servings vs price.

frozen vegetables/fruit are as good as fresh

shop at "ethnic" (I hate that term) markets

buy the least processed stuff you can, without paying extra for marketing terms like "natural" or whatever.

cook everything from scratch
  • daniellescsu
    daniellescsu Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Buy bulk. Bulk bags of dried beans instead of cans, bulk rice, bulk grains, bulk popcorn, whatever it is and it is cheaper. I buy bags of beans for $1 and it makes an entire crock pot full of food. I will make black beans for burritos, just adding some onion and seasonings. Making your own tortillas and stuff saves money too. Tortillas are already cheap, but it costs like .50 to make an entire batch and they taste better and are healthier. It is hard because it isn't quick and easy, but I have a busy busy schedule and just take time when I am not busy, make a bunch of stuff, and freeze it in individual meal sizes.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi? They have affordable prices and lots of healthy choices. I'm on a budget too but I can shop for a family of 4 on about $150 and get lots of healthy food

Absolutely this!! And they've just added lots of organic stuff in the last month. Great cheese too. Everything you could ever need and less than half the price!
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi How are you. Congratulations on quitting, I am 11 days smoke free. Yay me
    What is your weekly budget?

I feed a family of 4 on $50-$100 a week depending on finances. Before you go to the store make sure to have a small list of what you want. Your staples, like oatmeal, its so cheap but you can have a few times a week or more, add raisins or nuts and its very filling. Eggs, cheap and nutritious. Buy vegetables on sale. I bought 3 lbs of sweet potatoes for $1.50 the other day, on sale at Walmart. You can make a very nutritious "fried" rice with brown rice and tons of veggies. The possibilities are endless.

It will take time but you can do it. When I make dinner, Its for two meals, dinner and lunch the next day. Make your own chicken broth or stock when you boil chicken. Soups are healthy. Do not buy any snacks, sodas, juice, chips, or cookies, etc...
    Make your own desserts at home, healthier and cheaper.
    You can do it, just stick to it.
  • duckymoo
    Options
    I'm on a budget too, and I just found it's cheaper (and you don't feel like you're dieting as much) if you cook as much as you can yourself. Even low fat convenience foods are expensive and have some weird additives in them. I make a lot of soup with root vegetables (swede, carrot, parsnip, sweet potato etc), usually costs about £1-£2 in vegetables but makes 5 or 6 adult portions and a few portions for baby food.

Stuff like bolognese, lasagna, pasta bake, use a little lean mince (or even cheap mince) and pasta, then bulk with lentils, mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots, leeks etc. Salad is pretty good on a budget too, just try and get reduced price vegetables and eat ASAP. Frozen veg is great (as a lot of people have said here) works out cheaper, lasts ages and if you're maiking soup/sauce you can just throw it straight in.

We also eat vegetarian about 3 or 4 nights a week as meat is expensive here and we were probably eating too much. Buy spices in bulk as they can be cheaper at some shops and make cheap foot taste a lot better
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you genuinely can't afford it, have you looked into food pantries in your area? Just donate any unhealthy food back to them.