Lance Armstrong's little biker shorts are finally on fire

Options
tsh0ck
tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
They all did it. Fine. But that is really not the point. Because I don't really care how "sorry" he is. And I don't really care that much that he cheated - he did was 90 percent of the sport did. But he lied. He wrapped himself in the flag while wearing the yellow bracelet, all the while bullying and destroying anyone who dared tell the truth. He did this knowing he was protecting a lie.

He has helped many people in the cancer community. True. But how much harm did he do to others along the way? He has also destroyed reputations and very nearly destroyed lives to perpetuate a fraud. He has collected money on his lies. He is so wrapped up in lies that he will never be free of them.

Unless his new goal in life is to help those that he has so wronged, he is still a lying cheat with no real remorse.

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Everyone he took money from to support him is now going to go after him. I'm sure he's tried to get some of those people to sign something saying that they wont do that. In fact, I'm positive of it. But, I heard the US Postal Service is going after him. they want their $30 Million they gave him. Others will follow.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    well, with any luck, he will finally get what he has long had coming to him -- both legally and financially.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    BINGO!!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    After they go after him he will agree on a settlement and then file for bankruptcy and not pay a dime.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I hope they get all the money back that his foundation has spent on cancer research too...
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    After they go after him he will agree on a settlement and then file for bankruptcy and not pay a dime.

he's still worth an estimated $100 million. I think he can handle a few lawsuits.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    I hope they get all the money back that his foundation has spent on cancer research too...

his own board dropped him, you know. and nike, too. they still make livestrong gear, but that will likely change, now.

no one is doubting the good he's done. but how much good do you have to do to make up for decades of bad?

(and worth noting, most of the money from that organization goes to support and keeping that organization running. not much at all to research.)
  • mlondon8509
    mlondon8509 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    (and worth noting, most of the money from that organization goes to support and keeping that organization running. not much at all to research.)

^^^^
    This. Shockingly small amount of the money they raise has gone to actual cancer research. It is a total misnomer.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    WASHINGTON (AP) — An attorney familiar with cyclist Lance Armstrong's legal problems said Tuesday that the Justice Department is highly likely to join a whistleblower lawsuit filed against Armstrong by former teammate Floyd Landis.

The False Claims Act lawsuit could result in Armstrong paying a substantial amount of money to the U.S. government. The deadline for the department to join the case is Thursday, though the department could seek an extension if necessary.

According to the attorney, who works outside the government, the lawsuit alleges that Armstrong defrauded the U.S. government based on his years of denying use of performance-enhancing drugs. The U.S. Postal Service was a longtime sponsor of Armstrong's racing career.

The attorney spoke on condition of anonymity because the source was not authorized to speak on the record about the matter.

The attorney said Armstrong's lawyers have met with the Justice Department to discuss what damages would be paid. However, the attorney said, the two sides have very divergent views of the amount.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    this is from a piece by dan wetzel today. he's an outstanding writer, and this is a really good read.

In the end, Armstrong did far more good for the world – particularly in the cancer wards where inspiration is so desperately needed – than bad. He rides a bicycle. He didn't kill anyone.

He did, however, try to destroy some people – their finances, their businesses, their reputations, their names. These are the victims of Lance Armstrong, and the only hope is that Winfrey didn't just let Lance brush aside the truly aggrieved parties or the obvious questions.

Armstrong isn't necessarily a bad guy for doping. He is a bad guy for the way he used his immense power, fame and fortune to attempt to ruin anyone who dared to speak the truth to his avalanche of lies.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/questions-oprah-should-ask-lance-armstrong-230849439.html
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options

he's still worth an estimated $100 million. I think he can handle a few lawsuits.

I was gonna say the same thing... still tons of money there!

Secondly - he chose his timing wisely... he's not going to be facing as much as he would have even a month ago - because of the Statute of Limitations on at least a couple of areas. No - this doesn't affect any civil lawsuits, but it affects his potential criminal lawsuits. The fact that Oprah's show is going to air on Friday? Not a coincidence... argument could be made about when he "confessed" but that doesn't impact when they have to file...

So, I don't think Lance is worried... clearly? He thinks, more often than not, that he's above reproach anyway!
  • lombrica
    Options

his own board dropped him, you know. and nike, too. they still make livestrong gear, but that will likely change, now.

no one is doubting the good he's done. but how much good do you have to do to make up for decades of bad?

Eh, really?!? I thought that he stepped down - with strong encouragement - to try and seperate his name from the Foundation so that it could hopefully survive. From what I've read and watched... they are actually thinking that this confession might "save" and/or "help" Livestong...

Guess time will tell??
  • lombrica
    Options

^^^^
    This. Shockingly small amount of the money they raise has gone to actual cancer research. It is a total misnomer.

Ha, ha, ha! She said "shockingly"... :) Sorry, personal joke but it made me laugh... Nothing bad intended for the poster, I promise! :)
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    The more I think about it, the more I question how much he really admits to. Wanna come clean? You're sorry? You don't show up to the interview with an entourage that includes managers, lawyers and a crisis consultant.

This, like everything he has ever done, is cold. Calculating. It is why he went to Oprah. She is a power broker. He wants sympathy. He wants his image restored.

The man is insidious. Everything he has done has been for him. Even livestrong, as much good as it has done, was built on a foundation of evil. And it has been used as a shield for him to use as he simultaneously attacks, without mercy or compassion, anyone brazen enough to tell the truth. He tried to destroy lives to protect his lie - and in the process made for himself tens of millions of dollars.

What a joke.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    1. Who cares? Professional athletes dope. Get over it. They have short careers and often end up with their bodies destroyed from injuries. I'd do it if it made me millions.

2. We better not waste money in congress like they are with Roger Clemens.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    You do realize that people aren't all that worked up about the actual doping, right?

And I hope the government spends whatever money needed to make him suffer. He took millions from the government already. And lied under oath.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Why is he coming forth like this at all?

I'm not following closely which makes me ideal in declaring that the common person's attention had long wandered away from him. All he's doing is putting himself back in the spotlight.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    I think that is part of it, AD. Been so used to it for so long, he doesn't know how to deal without it. But he has to try to clean up his name to make it work.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    1. Who cares? Professional athletes dope. Get over it. They have short careers and often end up with their bodies destroyed from injuries. I'd do it if it made me millions.

2. We better not waste money in congress like they are with Roger Clemens.

But why not? I mean the budget is balanced, all wars are over, gun laws are finally agreed upon by everyone, the debt ceiling and fiscal cliff are a thing of the past with this huge surplus we are sitting on, all tax loop holes have been closed, all communities struck down by natural disaster have been rebuilt, we have finally severed all ties with renewable energy and strictly use renewables. What else is there to do other than sit around and chug cups of Lance Armstrong's piss to see if we can taste doping agents?!?!
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You do realize that people aren't all that worked up about the actual doping, right?

And I hope the government spends whatever money needed to make him suffer. He took millions from the government already. And lied under oath.

Stole from the government huh? So if this goes to trial is the Pot the plaintiff or the Kettle ?