Jazzercise!

Options

Replies

• msmollygp
    msmollygp Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Love Jazzercise! I finally bought a month-long pass.
  • DargoMack
    DargoMack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just moved to my new neighborhood and a new session starts tonight. I'm pumped! I haven't been a regular at Jazzercise in about a year and I'm excited!
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    <---I built this with jazzercise....it totally works.

LMAO! :laugh:
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My mom is an instructor! It's great :)
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    when ever i think of looking into these classes i still can't help thinking that is all old ladies in leatards,head bands and leg warmers! do young people really takes these classes? No i'm not bashing or hating just old school infomerchials in my head!!

PLEASE do yourself a favor and go to class! Check out the Web site first....you can see a list of our most current music, look at the clothes we wear, and even see the moves. The name harkens back to the day, but it is totally modern, and unlike Zumba, we Instructors go through extensive training and certification, are fully CPR certified and have to pass a physiology test to become instructors, so it is one of the most comprehensive and safest workouts you can do.

Go for it. It is the only thing that ever got me to LOVE and look forward to working out, and I have been teaching for 7.5 years now!!
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I love Jazzercise! I just started Oct 1st but I've been to 6 classes already. :) Friend me!
  • jlsoules
    jlsoules Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    when ever i think of looking into these classes i still can't help thinking that is all old ladies in leatards,head bands and leg warmers! do young people really takes these classes? No i'm not bashing or hating just old school infomerchials in my head!!

PLEASE do yourself a favor and go to class! Check out the Web site first....you can see a list of our most current music, look at the clothes we wear, and even see the moves. The name harkens back to the day, but it is totally modern, and unlike Zumba, we Instructors go through extensive training and certification, are fully CPR certified and have to pass a physiology test to become instructors, so it is one of the most comprehensive and safest workouts you can do.

Go for it. It is the only thing that ever got me to LOVE and look forward to working out, and I have been teaching for 7.5 years now!!

I totally agree with EVERYTHING she says!! I was going 7-8 years ago and it was awesome and fun! Kids got the best of me and I quit. I started back on July 22nd this year. In a little over 10 weeks I'm down 10 lbs and 11" total!! It's so worth it! The women where I go range from 22 (an instructor) to 76 yrs old. No one is there judging you, you're working out for the same reason and it's very supportive. The instructors are great at making sure you're doing the moves correctly so as not to hurt yourself. You really should try it out! I wear a HRM too and depending on which instructor I have, I'm burning 430-580 calories in an hour.

Go for it!! Try it out!! :heart: me some Jazzercise!!!
  • clairecandoit11
    clairecandoit11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't realize so many people had responded to this e-mail!

I have been doing jazzercise for 10 years and I always go back to it because it is fun and it is a GREAT work out!

We should start a thread like someone said earlier, how do we go about doing that???

ANY JAZZERCISERS PLEASE ADD ME :)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Now that's old school............
  • thr33martins
    Options
    Now that's old school............

I challenge you to go take a class, tough guy.... :wink:
  • AbbyAdelaide
    Options
    I am 25 and will have been a Jazzercise instructor for 5 years this february and for everyone asking on here, Jazzercise is not old school, it is not just for 'old people' and we definitely don't wear leotards and headbands anymore, i promise!!

It's thought of as old school by some because it has been around for over 40 years but that doesn't mean it hasn't changed with the times i assure you! Our music is current, when i have the radio on it's nearly always playing a jazzercise song, and the workouts are HARD!! Just in my classes i have people ranging from 17-60 and i know it's the same in pretty much every class so don't feel put off, whatever your age :happy:

if anyone wants to ask questions about it, please feel free!
  • VP72
    VP72 Posts: 89
    Options
    Hi,
    I went to my first class tonight! Am going again on Thursday & will continue 2 days a week, until I get the hang of it, then will up it to 3 days a week.
    Really enjoyed it, even if I was the most un-coordinated person there!
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Not sure how I feel about the "old lady" post. :(. I am one of those old ladies, but I promise, no leotards, headband, and legwarmers. I am a total addict - 13 years. I have already surpassed 200 classes for this year. When someone says find an exercise you love. That is just what I did.

I'm 63, but there is a lady who comes who is 76. She is a former ballet dancer and is amazing. I hope to still be going to Jazzercise at 76 in spite of people who may make fun.

I encourage anyone who will listen to give it a try.

^ This.....Like I was telling someone who wrote me......Even if you can't make it to a class in your area you can find good songs/routines on-line. This is one of my favorite ones and makes me feel like I am part of the globetrotters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3zvZimryao&amp;feature=related

Ooooh thanks, I also don't have a class in my area but will give that a try :-)
  • kcusnem
    kcusnem Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I did it for about 2 years, then moved. Tried it in my new town, still loved it. Moved back and the franchise was gone :( I miss it so much!!!! I love having it broken down, warm up, aerobics, cool down, strength and stretching. LOVE it! You get everything in one! AND you can customize the moves (and are encouraged to if need be).

I've tried Zumba, all but one instructor is on the floor facing the wall and we get NO feedback.

Try it!!!! Someday I would love to be an instructor, but as of now it's just a dream :)
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love Jazzercise. I do Zumba also and do not enjoy as much as Jazzercise. There is a difference in certification also.

Jazzercize vs Zumba

Jazzercise instructors must pass a rigorous training over two to three days. Every certified instructor holds a franchise, but substitute instructors may also be trained to work for franchisees. Training includes information on health and fitness and CPR, as well as the jazzercise routines. Zumba certification can be accomplished in one day by attending one of the many regularly scheduled trainings held around the world each month. You need to be enthusiastic, coordinated, creative and outgoing to pass. Zumba instructors can give classes in any venue with appropriate facilities.

Some nice free Jazzercise videos produced by Judi Sheppard Missett, the founder and CEO of Jazzercise.

http://lockerz.com/u/20650519/decalz/7250150/scvtv_com_jazzercise_workout_video_21 ( search there are more on lockerz.com)
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am 25 and will have been a Jazzercise instructor for 5 years this february and for everyone asking on here, Jazzercise is not old school, it is not just for 'old people' and we definitely don't wear leotards and headbands anymore, i promise!!

It's thought of as old school by some because it has been around for over 40 years but that doesn't mean it hasn't changed with the times i assure you! Our music is current, when i have the radio on it's nearly always playing a jazzercise song, and the workouts are HARD!! Just in my classes i have people ranging from 17-60 and i know it's the same in pretty much every class so don't feel put off, whatever your age :happy:

if anyone wants to ask questions about it, please feel free!

i have done both zumba and jazzercise - I think jazzercise is a tougher workout.
  • catio23
    catio23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am a Jazzercise convert! I still love Zumba, but the Jazzercise routines are easier to learn (not easier to do, just easier to learn since they all repeat themselves!) And I like the strength training at each class, and the Body Sculpt classes for extra strength. I need something that makes me want to get up at 5:30am and exercise, and going to a gym or running on a treadmill just wasn't doing it...
  • manidoro
    manidoro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How can you tell how many calories you burn with jazzercise - the classes tout that you burn 600 calories in the hour of jazzercise.
  • thr33martins
    Options
    How can you tell how many calories you burn with jazzercise - the classes tout that you burn 600 calories in the hour of jazzercise.

I used to wear a HRM, and I averaged about 640 in a regular class, about 725 in a circuit class. I am an instructor, so I talk through the whole thing....but I think that the 600 is about typical for someone who really puts the intensity into it. The best way to know is to use a HRM. :)
  • Missmaggieann
    Missmaggieann Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM, I purchased it through my instructor. I burn up to 670-675, on average I would say 600 it really depends on the type of class and the songs in the set.