You Shouldn't Report Every Post That Offends You.

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    Maybe there should be another area in the forum menu for easily offended people to go and not feel threatened or have no sense of humor. Maybe they can call it the Rated G chit chat forums.
    Like the kiddie end of the pool...

There is a kiddie end of the pool. .. . go to "Groups" and start your own My Little Pony group where only joy and agreement are allowed. Ta da.
  • chellie47
    chellie47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ditto lol to much to read and I am to tired :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Whether or not other people report posts isn't a user call...it isn't *our* call...that's a message that needs to be communicated from the site PTB. From the various discussions I've had about this, I believe they actually *want* people to report posts. (Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying that *I* want people to report every post that irks them...and I'm also not saying that *I* report every posts that irks me.)

What *I* want is some discernment on the other end of the process. Not every post that's reported should be strikeworthy. Or if it is, then the Community Guidelines (all hail) should be reconsidered. Or perhaps an application of context, or a consideration of the participants. Fine, maybe not for every single post, but if "user-since-Jan-2013: 27 posts" reports a post made by "user-since-Oct-2010: 1847 posts", perhaps they could take a step back and use some discretion.

Meh. I'm all out of damns to give.

PREACH!

Hmm, maybe *I* should change my name to pReachyxoxoxo. :wink:
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Maybe there should be another area in the forum menu for easily offended people to go and not feel threatened or have no sense of humor. Maybe they can call it the Rated G chit chat forums.

There is a kiddie end of the pool. .. . go to "Groups" and start your own My Little Pony group where only joy and agreement are allowed. Ta da.

Complete w/ Strawberry scented sparkles??????? :huh:
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Alternatively, you could just form a group for all the people that want a more raucous forum experience. Call it something rebellious and have at it in a group instead of on the main forums. Just be sure to mark it "mature" first.

:)
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I don't get offended by internet posts, I know that sounds crazy but I just don't. idk. Thanks to MFP I've lost my thick fat and developed thick skin. Has Dr. Oz given any advice on thick skin loss?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    The only people I've ever reported on here are spammers, people trying to con others that don't know better out of their hard earned money or one guy that posted something gross about kids. I think it VERY rare anyone does anything really worth reporting on here and some people need to get over themselves and have a sense of humour. They could consider eating some more too so they aren't so hangry and so easily offended.
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Let me first say that I have never... eva eva eva eva eva.... Reported anyone....

I have never been offended by anything I have seen here... but I do want to point out that some people do not understand that just because you can say something on the internet, doesnt always mean that you should. I think a lot of people say a lot more on the internet than they would ever dare say in person

Also, I agree with you... I think things get blown way out of proportion and some people just need to grow some thicker skin.

Just throwing that out there.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've never reported anyone, even though I have been attacked in bizarre, illogical ways.

However, the thing that I can't understand about online forums is that a large number of people find it acceptable to act in a way that they would not act face to face. For some reason, the anonymity of talking through a computer creates a "free for all" attitude. I don't really understand that, but it's their problem, not mine.

Why do people assume that the way someone is online is not the way they are face-to-face? I'm me regardless. I've always been opinionated, especially if someone asks a question.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Well said OP

Being born and raised in the West Country (UK) sarcasm is my default setting. It is difficult to get across a sarcastic remark on the forums without the visual aid of seeing my body language.*** It is very often mistaken for being "mean" when in actual fact it is humour.

The other thing is that people have forgotten how to debate, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them offensive/reportable.

*** PS. If anyone wishes to see my body language in pics, message me my rates are very reasonable :bigsmile:
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I only report people who are sexier than me.

^ Well I think you have to.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Love this!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I've only reported 'Whyz so smallz'
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I've never reported anyone, even though I have been attacked in bizarre, illogical ways.

However, the thing that I can't understand about online forums is that a large number of people find it acceptable to act in a way that they would not act face to face. For some reason, the anonymity of talking through a computer creates a "free for all" attitude. I don't really understand that, but it's their problem, not mine.

Why do people assume that the way someone is online is not the way they are face-to-face? I'm me regardless. I've always been opinionated, especially if someone asks a question.

Same. In fact, given that I can revise my posts before I post them, and can even edit after posting, I'm pretty sure I'm more opinionated and outspoken in person. But I generally tend to avoid people IRL whose feeling are hurt by someone expressing an opinion that differs from theirs...or who take it personally if the answer I give to their question isn't what they expected to hear. That isn't as easy to do in this venue.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    lol "lowest common denominator"
    I've seen some low common denominators in the threads, but it wasn't people who were supporting forum rules!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been reported for telling a joke that both you and the OP laughed at cause it wasn't even an offensive comment to begin with?

I have.

So, yeah. I totally agree with this OP.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    lol "lowest common denominator"
    I've seen some low common denominators in the threads, but it wasn't people who were supporting forum rules!

To paraphrase a wise old philosopher, "This phrase...I do not think it means what you think it means."
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    OH! Of course...
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I probably agree with you but... no way I'm reading all of that.

Where is the tl;dr version?

This.

Yep
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    cant stand folks that get offended so easily over the dumbest things.
This discussion has been closed.