Stick Butter substitute?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Kerry Gold makes a grass-fed butter. It is all natural of course and has a better healthy fat profile than conventional brands. It still has the same calories but I think that real, pemium butter will satisfy you more than the fake stuff.
  • biogirl2011
    biogirl2011 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do you have any recipe examples? Is it a 1:1 substitution?
  • biogirl2011
    biogirl2011 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In my experience, most things that I bake call for oil or butter. You can use mashed bananas or applesauce in place of butter & oil with baking. I'd recommend going one of these routes because then you know what you're putting in your body. Not some chemically processed junk that's been made to taste like butter. I've baked with bananas and applesauce and I really don't notice a difference in taste or texture over using oil or butter.

Maybe you'll find this helpful:

http://greatist.com/health/healthy-baking-fat-swaps/

Do you have any recipes? Is it a 1:1 substitution?
  • melt2svelte
    Options
    Just eat real butter. No "butter substitutes".

I also use unrefined coconut oil and olive oil as well.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I use land o lakes butter with canola oil, just what i was brought up on. i think it has half the calories as stick butter
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with real butter unless you have issues with cassein. Saturated fat is not bad for you. so unless you have some underlying dairy allergy - butter is healthy for you.

I'm not sure if you actually know the OP and their medical history and speaking only to them, but as a general statement there are a lot of nutrition scientists and doctors who would disagree with this.

Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with saturated fat. The whole saturated fat MYTH has been debunked time and time again. Holes poked all through that theory..........

That is not a general statement, that is fact. Saturated fat nor cholesterol causes Cardiovascular Disease. Inflammation causes disease and that inflammation DOES NOT come from Saturated fats or cholesterol.

People really need to get out of that 1980's thinking. It is OLD and OUTDATED.

I don't know what MYTH you refer to, but currently (2013) most nutrition scientists and doctors recommend limiting saturated fat especially from beef/dairy sources.

"Most" nutrition scientists and doctors?? Not true. At least not the up to date/well informed ones. I am a Licensed/Reg. Dietitian and have been working in the field of clinical nutrition with many, many MD's for the past 20 yrs and I can tell you that "we" have not been recommending low saturated fat diets for quite some time and I always recommend using real butter over margarine or other "spreads" as part of a healthy, whole foods type diet.

Can you provide information from an authoritative source of nutrition scientists that does not suggest limiting saturated fats? I mean, something other than a person blog or open internet forum post?

In case you are interested, here is the url to a Men's Health published article - http://www.menshealth.com/health/saturated-fat
    While Men's Health is no way a 'scientific' journal, I think it may help explain part of the reason why some people are second guessing the saturated fat guidelines. If nothing else, it outlines some data that might be interesting to you as a dietitian.