Post Workout thoughts on carbs?

Options
I keep reading different things on how some things are better for you than others after your workout. Obviously protein is a must, but what about carbs? I keep hearing that its good to have it before and after.. Thoughts?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I keep reading different things on how some things are better for you than others after your workout. Obviously protein is a must, but what about carbs? I keep hearing that its good to have it before and after.. Thoughts?

Carbs pre is personal preference, carbs post would depend if you need to rapidly replenish glycogen for an upcoming event like a few hrs later, otherwise, personal preference again
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've been told that the optimum post-workout nutrition should contain a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein (for reasons that aren't worth going into here). You can pay big buck for these, but oddly enough, chocolate milk is perfect for the job.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    im a firm believer that everything in moderation...unless you are an athlete, or running a marathon then so long as you eat a balanced diet there is really no need to go carb heavy before or after a workout...

i do know that personally, if i have two hard days in a row of both strength training and hit intensity cardio by the time that second day is over my body is craving some serious carbs and protein so i like to make a big stirfry with loads of meat and vegies and serve it on some rice or pasta (whole wheat usually, but im not against white rice)...

you do what is right for you...stay within your macros and you should be good to go!
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I just got back from a crazy intense non-stop kickboxing workout and I feel like I could really use some carbs right now. Always whole wheat.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Nutrient timing is irrelavent unless as stated above you have another event coming that is highly muscle dependant.
  • joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you partake in an intense workout, it is recommended to have fast digesting carbs/electrolytes within 30-45 mins. of finishing that workout in an effort to replenish muscle glycogen and promote muscle recovery. Many studies have been done to validate this notion.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you partake in an intense workout, it is recommended to have fast digesting carbs/electrolytes within 30-45 mins. of finishing that workout in an effort to replenish muscle glycogen and promote muscle recovery. Many studies have been done to validate this notion.
    What is considered intense?
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're going for to determine how the amount of carbs to protein in which you should consume. In order to properly recover from exercise for your muscles, you should eat carbs/protein within one hour. It will help recovery and muscle growth. The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn. And depending upon the length of the exercise and type, you will need to replenish your electrolytes. For example, running for 60 plus minutes means that you need to replenish your carbs but with the right kind. Be sure to read the labels. Fructose should be the second or third carbohydrate listed. Sucrose (dextrose), glucose, and/or maltodextrin (glucose polymers) should be listed above it. Electrolytes are also important after a workout (sodium, chloride, potassium, and magnesium). They are lost in sweat. Continually, you need amino acids - alanine and glutamine - protein. Ideally for long, strenuous exercises, use a sports drink or supplement with these items in it.

From Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You'll hear plenty of different opinions on this, but I believe Carbs are very important. Serious strength training is best followed by a good post workout meal which includes Carbs to replenish glycogen.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    What is considered intense?

This is similar to the question 'how much weight should I lift?/what's considered heavy?'
    It's relative, but your heart rate should be up and the weights should be heavy for you to lift when strength training and you should have a harder time keeping up a conversation when doing cardio.
  • lightlessend
    Options
    I do some weightlifting, and it is just a preference, but while training, I drink a sport drink for that energy when I push myself to the limit, after workout, I drink a chocolate milk: protein with enough carbs to give u back that energy spent
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    you will go insane if you listen to all the different advice. I just listen to my body. I eat something before a workout if I feel i need the fuel. I often eat a balanced meal right after because I often feel like I need it the energy and i'm hungry.
  • TransomBob
    TransomBob Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't touch carbs until 2 hours after a high intensity workout. (by high intensity, I mean bike sprints where you give 100%)
    There is a 2 hour window where your body secretes HGH (human growth hormone) and I stick to protein only. If you were to consume sugar, the HGH stops secreting. Carbs after a workout are great for your recovery, so it really depends on what you're looking to get out of your workout.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I don't touch carbs until 2 hours after a high intensity workout. (by high intensity, I mean bike sprints where you give 100%)
    There is a 2 hour window where your body secretes HGH (human growth hormone) and I stick to protein only. If you were to consume sugar, the HGH stops secreting. Carbs after a workout are great for your recovery, so it really depends on what you're looking to get out of your workout.
    Okay sir.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Carbs are good post workout if you're doing a second workout later in the day (I used to do these). But other than that, it doesn't really matter
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You'll hear plenty of different opinions on this, but I believe Carbs are very important. Serious strength training is best followed by a good post workout meal which includes Carbs to replenish glycogen.

Why? Do you believe you deplete glycogen in a single strength training session? According to Alan Aragon, nutritional timing within a 24 hour window is immaterial.
    "Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you’re an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day."

As someone else stated, unless you have a second workout planned within a couple of hours, meal timing and frequency should be primarily driven by personal preference based on overall performance and well being. So basically, if you eat a balanced diet during the course of the day, there is no need for any "post workout meal" with any special macronutrient compostiion other than that which would hit your overall targets for the day. The nutritional timing myth dies hard.
  • samieloucb
    samieloucb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My PT has a guideline of carbs and protein before; protein for recovery after. As well as the only protein after 6 rule. You need the carbs for energy before you exercise, and you need protein after for muscle recovery. That being said it also depends on the time of the day. If you work out in the morning and then work eight hours you may need another energy boost before work.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Lots of broscience coming out now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Lots of broscience coming out now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You read my mind!! :drinker:
  • alexiaans
    alexiaans Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree that you just have to listen to your body. It also depends on what else you have to do immediately afterwards IMO. I go to work at 9A and hit the gym at 5:30a. I typically have an apple or banana pre-workout, and something small immediately after, primarily protein though (small protein shake with milk) which is usually around 7:30A. I then have breakfast when I get to work at 9A. This works for me as I usually don't have the time to sit down and really have breakfast between the gym and work. This way I follow at the very least, the guidline to eat within an hour of finishing my workout.

There are so many different guidelines given on this I tend to just do what my body wants, and stay within my calories otherwise.

Good luck!