What to eat for breakfast and will fill you up

Options
As the subject says.

When i eat breakfast about an hour later i start to feel hungry again.

what is the best food to eat to keep me full longer

any ideas.

Replies

• initforlife_clc
    Options
    Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! I usually try to have protein and grains in the morning...complex carbs. My faves are peanut butter oatmeal with milk, and fruit....or eggs with toast and fruit...stuff like that. I find they hold me over really well until snack time.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Steak
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I usually have porridge - double portion if I'm running. But it's normal to feel hungry mid-morning - have a healthy snack with some protein ready.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I usually have porridge - double portion if I'm running. But it's normal to feel hungry mid-morning - have a healthy snack with some protein ready.

^^^ This. Lots and lots of it. I have a babybel and some fruit mid morning.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I usually have eggs/egg whites, whole grain toast, and skim milk. All my meals/snacks are spaced every 2-3 hours to help prevent hunger.
  • janetkennedymerritt
    Options
    I find a package of instant oatmeal and 2 scoops of visalus shake power mixed in keep me going pretty well.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    my favorite is oatmeal and a banana. load up on coffee and water too.
  • caseyg9888
    Options
    Oatmeal is so filling for me. I cook old fashioned oats on the stove (they take 5 minutes).. with 4 minutes left, I add 3-4 tablespoons of egg whites. The protein gives it staying power, and it makes it like a custard. Sometimes I mash in banana and add nut butter on top. This kind of breakfast keeps me full for 6 hours. =)
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A bottle of water. A cup of coffee with one TBS creamer 35. 1 cup greek nonfat plain yogurt 120-140. A piece of fruit 50-100. Raw veggies
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    As the subject says.

When i eat breakfast about an hour later i start to feel hungry again.

what is the best food to eat to keep me full longer

any ideas.

I eat 2 eggs scrambled in butter, 3 slices of soy bacon ( I have issues with the grease in regular bacon), and either cottage cheese or greek yogurt. it usually comes in around 400 calories and holds me quite well.

I was just having a breakfast discussion yesterday with the trainer at the gym. One day this week he had eggs and broccoli, yesterday he said he had eggs with oatmeal.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    grains do not keep you full for long,if you want a good breakfast that stays with you,look at a protein breakfast.
    I just had a small steak and roasted carrots for breakfast.I follow the primal way of eating and I can go 5-6 hours(sometimes more)between meals
  • Zampa13
    Zampa13 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I usually eat this when I know im working on Labour ward/Delivery Suite. Often on a busy labour ward its difficult to get a lunch or even a tea break!! So I find it very important for a good breakfast to keep me going for at least upto 6-8 hours.

Fruit I like to mix it up but normally go for a little of each of these..

Banana
    Strawberries
    Grapes
    Apple
    Pear
    Sultanas

Natural yoghurt on top with a sprinkling of mixed nuts and a drizzle of honey and I would also have a slice of whole grain toast with low fat spread.

The first day I had it on a previous diet I was surprised how absolutely stuffed all day I was...
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this! I eat breakfast at 5.50am and lunch isn't until 12.30 - often only time to grab an apple halfway between.

I've been making smoothies the night before with oats, yoghurt, fruit (berries, a banana) and spinach (can't taste it!) and that seems to keep me going until mid morning. Alternatively add PB and a little cocoa powder for a yummy chocolate shake, quite high in protein. (Weigh/measure everything and account for the calories!!)

Some mornings (usually on days I know I won't get chance to grab a snack mid-morning) I also make Banana-blueberry pancakes (1 mashed banana, 3x egg whites, handful blueberries - mix and fry on high heat with a few sprays of 1-calorie spray.) serve with PB if you haven't had any in a shake and honey to taste. Keeps me going until lunch!

You could also grab some nuts for breakfast or as a very easy mid-morning snack too :)
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Proats and eggs
  • philhalsey
    Options
    What exactly is "porridge"?
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Thick Green Smoothie.

A jam packed cup of Spinach or Kale, throw in some mixed berries so it turns purple, banana, and mango, Pineapple Juice.

Keeps me full for hours.
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    A couple of teaspoons of Chia seeds to whatever you normally have for breakfast (they are tasteless) will help keep you feeling fuller for longer and they are full of omega 3 goodness

Porridge is a breakfast made from oats and water (sometimes milk) cooked for 5 minutes ish (unless done the origional sottish way which was I believe, to cook them all night long) Porridge is filling and yummy
  • katie__pillar
    Options
    Porridge = oatmeal.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Two poached eggs with a few slices of nice, leg ham (briefly heated in the post-egg pan). That with some Greek yoghurt, fruit and coffee should keep you going for quite a while. I try to follow the mid-morning snack up within about 3 hours and usually include some carbs as well. I also find that a big glass of water before you start eating in the morning helps curb hunger pangs later in the day.

If breakfast isn't filling you up it could be something simple like an over-stretched stomach which should revert if you eat smaller meals more frequently. That or you're having so little for dinner that you wake up ravenous and can't get satisfied!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Protein and grains, plus a piece of fruit if desired. I alternate somewhat erratically between a microwaved poached egg on wholemeal toast (two eggs if I have a big day ahead), other egg variants with whatever toast/bread/bread variants I have on hand, grilled back bacon and half an avocado with a sprinkle of dried mixed herbs on toast or in a wholemeal pitta, porridge, plus a piece of cheese, or rolled-oat pancakes with seeds and nuts added (this one will keep you going beyond what you thought possible!). Peanut butter or 30-odd grams of cheese on toast, if I'm in a hurry, or a couple of slices of ham, a piece of cheese and a few oatcakes (and a banana) if I'm really pushed for time! In the summer, I might have greek yoghurt, with a bit of muesli/granola and fruit, if it's too hot for something warm. I rarely need a mid-morning snack after this sort of breakfast, but nuts/fruit or a pot of yoghurt usually does the trick if I do, and it's really not the end of the world!