Help Please 1200 calories and still hungry

Options
I set up my account probably two weeks ago, I got sick in the mean time, but I am ready to get started now that I am done with medicine.

The issue is that I am allowed 1200 calories a day and I am still starving. Anybody have any suggestions?

Replies

• sally414
    Options
    Increase your calorie intake by 300, and make sure those 300 are healthy nutrient dense foods that will fill you up, not processed foods that will not keep you full. Add on a salad with a meal or a piece of fruit here and there, or some healthy fat that is satiating like cheese, lean meat, etc.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Without more information, I am only speculating....but 1200 calories is not enough calories for many of us. I am 5'7" and was STARVING at 1200 and eventually plateaued because I wasn't eating enough. I lose weight more consistently and wasn't starving when I was eating 1400+ calories.

Also, many of us make the mistake in the beginning of setting MFP for a 2 lb/week weight loss because we want to lose the weight FAST and NOW! Set it at 1 lb week and see where that brings you.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a little more. I was at 1200 but felt like I was fatigued alot (2200 down to 1200 is quite a jump) so I gave myself 1350 and didn't freak about going over a little bit. It has been a good setting for me so far!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I set up my account probably two weeks ago, I got sick in the mean time, but I am ready to get started now that I am done with medicine.

The issue is that I am allowed 1200 calories a day and I am still starving. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Let me guess, you're trying to lose 2lbs a week, but are under 200lbs?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your calories are too low. Set a reasonable expectation of weight loss. Not everyone can lose 2 pounds a week. Also eat back your exercise calories. The comfort you feel from doing that will see you through and not cause weight GAIN. You'll stop the works if your calories are too low.

The best food advice I got early on was to make sure I had plenty of fiber in my food. The current fiber recommendation is 35 gms per day. That means eating lots of whole veggies and fruits. Lots of cooked dried beans, whole grains like brown rice instead of white rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, whole grain breads and whole grain crackers and cereals. I also learned that cravings were caused by eating sugar and white flours and refined grains. Read your labels to check for these things. I was a slave to my appetite until I got rid of the white things(refined grains such as pasta, bread, crackers, cereal, rice, sugars). For the first time in my life I could decide if I wanted that cookie or not. Many people eat so much processed food that they get under 10 grams a day. It really makes a difference in how you feel, plus it is good for you!

Also loading up on large salads, homemade veggie soups is a great thing and homemade smoothies for lots of fruits that you can hide an awful lot of veggies in.

In the past year I have switched to EAT TO LIVE. It isn't vegan but it can be. I've never felt so full in my life. EVER. I have even stopped watching the clock to see when my next piddly snack could be. When I am doing the program successfully I am never hungry and sometimes cannot eat all of my allotted calories. check out www.drfuhrman if this idea interests you.

I fell off of the wagon at Thanksgiving and have been fighting my way back to my goal. I refuse to let my success slip through my fingers AGAIN!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Raise your calorie limit. I was on 1200 for less than one day when I told my nutritionist that wasn't going to work. I lost 61 pounds eating 1400-1600 calories a day. You don't have to starve.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Some things in life shall remain a mystery
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds. I heard on Dr. Oz they help with the hunger.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat and protein and less carbs. Or increase your calories and see if you still lose.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It is possible that your calories are set too low and you could increase them. Before doing that though, what are you eating?

If you are eating primarily fruits and vegetables you may need to add in a little more protien and essential fats. Both take longer to digest and help you feel full longer.

On the other hand, if you are eating a lot of really calorie dense items like nuts, peanut butter, etc, then you may want to reduce those items just a little and add in some salads, You can eat a TON of salad (not dressing) for next to no calories. Salad is practically free and you feel like you're eating. If you can't get through your meal in 5 minutes flat, you're more likely to feel more satisfied.

Another really good way to feel more satiated is to eat broths and soups. I can't remember where I read it, but I've experimented on my own and found it to be true. Soups can be really low calorie but very filling. I read something about broth making you feel more full. Yes, I know they are high in sodium....either make them yourself or drink more water to offset.

I've also found that I feel much more full when I skip eating "diet food". Anything labeled low fat is almost guaranteed to make you hungry. Normally they remove fat and then add sugar and salt to make it taste better.

Highly processed foods also tend to make you hungrier because your body can digest them so quickly. Think whole grains, and whole foods whenever possible.

Bottom line, eat a variety of foods, fruits, veggies, lean meats, essential fats. Get a good balance of nutrients and a good mix of calorie dense and bulky foods.
  • Susan0279
    Susan0279 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am 5'4" and I am happy to hear that I am not the only one starving. I just got worried, because I was so hungry but I am going to the gym also and feel like I am not eating enough.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Unless you are seriously obese, you probably have your weight loss per week set too high. No shame in that, most of us do exactly that when we sign up - head straight for the two pounds a week option. I know I did. I lost, but it wasn't wasn't sustainable, and probably wasn't healthy either.

Rather than using the generic MFP advice, which isn't tailored particularly closely to your size or activity level, use the advice and tools in the following thread to create something tailored to you, which will give steady weight loss without the hunger. It will be healthier for you, result in more fat loss vs. lean mass loss and will be more sustainable once you reach your goals -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This is such a common and well known phenomenon on MFP, that I actually saw this posted by MrsBully4 on another thread -
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Unless you are seriously obese, you probably have your weight loss per week set to high. No shame in that, most of us do exactly that when we sign up - head straight for the two pounds a week option. I know I did. I lost, but it wasn't wasn't sustainable, and probably wasn't healthy either.

Rather than using the generic MFP advice, which isn't tailored particularly closely to your size or activity level, use the advice and tools in the following thread to create something tailored to you, which will give steady weight loss without the hunger. It will be healthier for you, result in more fat loss vs. lean mass loss and will be more sustainable once you reach your goals -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This is such a common and well known phenomenon on MFP, that I actually saw this posted by MrsBully4 on another thread -
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

:laugh: So True
  • BethanyRTS
    Options
    Unless you are seriously obese, you probably have your weight loss per week set to high. No shame in that, most of us do exactly that when we sign up - head straight for the two pounds a week option. I know I did. I lost, but it wasn't wasn't sustainable, and probably wasn't healthy either.

Lifecycle of an MFPer

:laugh: So True

:drinker:
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Do you have your settings at a 2 lb per week loss? Change them to lose one pound per week.
    Workout and "eat back your exercise calories."
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Let me guess, you're trying to lose 2lbs a week, but are under 200lbs?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

@ ninerbuff-If I am under 200lbs, what should I be shooting for if not 2 per week,. I have mine set up that way....should I be at 1 or 1.5??
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Eat more
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am 5'4" and I am happy to hear that I am not the only one starving. I just got worried, because I was so hungry but I am going to the gym also and feel like I am not eating enough.

It's hard to say without knowing you, but short women do often find that they have to stay around 1200 to see any effect. Search the threads or groups for short women. In addition, most people do get hungry from time to time if they're creating a significant calorie deficit. Their bodies also adapt. But you shouldn't feel ravenous all day long or unable to function.

I would try adding some healthy proteins and fats while keeping most of the carbs in the green vegetable category. Do that for a couple of weeks. If you can't sustain it, raise your calories to 1300.

Also be aware that unless you are scrupulously weighing everything and all your food is a known quantity, you're probably eating more than 1200 right now. By law, the calorie estimates have some wiggle room.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    I eat Broccoli and other fibrous veg to fill me, they are super low calorie but take time to digest and fill you up. Also, there is a product called Skinny B, its Chia, Hemp and Buckwheat, it expands and keep you feeling regular.
  • sarahmartin2013
    Options
    you need to eat the right foods and they will make you feel fuller..