Carrots are Icky

Options

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Me neither. I'll eat them if they are grated up into small bits and cooked in a soup or other dish, but larger chunks... Actually, you can make a decent salad with raw carrots--grate them, then add some Greek yogurt and honey if you want a sweet version, or some garlic and Greek yogurt or mayo if you want a savory version.
    Greek yogurt, on salad?
    any suggestions??

Yeah, all you do is mix up a bunch of grated carrots with a creamy dressing and a flavoring. Then it's not as much of a punishment to eat them, and you get a lot of fiber and vitamins in one dish.

Carrots, by the way, should be eaten with something fatty, like oil or mayo or yogurt (not fat-free). Vitamin A cannot be absorbed by the body otherwise.
  • rissaloses
    rissaloses Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try blending them into a soup. My favorite is split pea soup. Once it is pureed, you can't even tell there are carrots in it. Personally, I love carrots, especially chunks of them in soup.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Try blending them into a soup. My favorite is split pea soup. Once it is pureed, you can't even tell there are carrots in it. Personally, I love carrots, especially chunks of them in soup.

how does one go about making soup?
    I'm so new to cooking and what not
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't like carrots. There is only one way I'll eat carrots and that's when it's in my chicken chili.
    Other than that, I pick them out and make my boyfriend eat them.
    I don't know why I don't like them.

I want to know, is there anything similar to them that I can eat that I won't pick out? :laugh:

Carrots are REALLY good in Carrot Cake.. ]:laugh: just sayin'..
  • krissielynn87
    Options

Carrots are REALLY good in Carrot Cake.. ]:laugh: just sayin'..
    hahahaha :laugh:
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Give them to me!

But honestly, no one likes everything so there is no need to force yourself as long as there are other veggies you like. Tastes change so who knows, after a year of not eating them and trying them again might help. Do you like other sweet root vegetables?

I'm not sure, I tend to eat the same things, so I'm trying to fix that.
    I want to eat more veggies and what not, but I'm nervous to try.

I just started eating avocado, so I'm slowly moving into new things lol

I REFUSE to eat stuff I don't like, whether it's good for me or not. I say don't eat carrots, but do try some new stuff. What's the worst that will happen? You won't like it? Oh well! Buy one veggie you've never tried every time you go shopping and try it! I did this over the summer and am now in love with butternut squash and eggplant, and I plan on doing this with fruit once the Farmers' Markets start up again.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Parsnips.
  • krissielynn87
    Options
    Give them to me!

But honestly, no one likes everything so there is no need to force yourself as long as there are other veggies you like. Tastes change so who knows, after a year of not eating them and trying them again might help. Do you like other sweet root vegetables?

I'm not sure, I tend to eat the same things, so I'm trying to fix that.
    I want to eat more veggies and what not, but I'm nervous to try.

I just started eating avocado, so I'm slowly moving into new things lol

I REFUSE to eat stuff I don't like, whether it's good for me or not. I say don't eat carrots, but do try some new stuff. What's the worst that will happen? You won't like it? Oh well! Buy one veggie you've never tried every time you go shopping and try it! I did this over the summer and am now in love with butternut squash and eggplant, and I plan on doing this with fruit once the Farmers' Markets start up again.

that is a great idea. I'm going to have to try that. only thing is, boyfriend is picky and he eats with me at home 3x a week -_-
  • krissielynn87
    Options
    Parsnips.
    maybe
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The idea about pureeing in a soup is a great one. Soups are one of the easiest things to make since you don't need to be exact in measurements or be particularly concerned with cooking time. Like chili, it's mostly dumping in a pot and letting it simmer for a while. There are a lot of good chicken stock-based recipes out there; pureeing a few vegetables will thicken the consistency and give the broth a bit more flavor.

As far as replacements go, another colorful vegetable family to consider are sweet bell peppers. Yellow, orange and red can be commonly found. They are another good snacking item and the amount of color typically correlates to their nutrition (the more the better)...red are my favorite.
  • krissielynn87
    Options
    The idea about pureeing in a soup is a great one. Soups are one of the easiest things to make since you don't need to be exact in measurements or be particularly concerned with cooking time. Like chili, it's mostly dumping in a pot and letting it simmer for a while. There are a lot of good chicken stock-based recipes out there; pureeing a few vegetables will thicken the consistency and give the broth a bit more flavor.

As far as replacements go, another colorful vegetable family to consider are sweet bell peppers. Yellow, orange and red can be commonly found. They are another good snacking item and the amount of color typically correlates to their nutrition (the more the better)...red are my favorite.
    I'm a fan of peppers. Especially sauteeing them in a little bit of oil and lemon pepper seasoning. yummmm
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Wrap them in bacon. Bacon makes everything better!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Have you tried them mashed into mashed potatoes?

My dad used to put rutabaga and carrots into our mashed potatoes with lots of salt and pepper when we were kids and it was SOOO good. Or you can cook them in the juices of chicken or beef until caramelized and it's ridiculously good!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just eat a variety of vegetables and include some that are orange (sweet potatoes, winter squashes, pumpkin, etc.)
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Parsnips? Texture is similar to carrots though if that's what you don't like then probably not a good substitute. Flavor is sweeter, if you can imagine that. Oh nevermind. if you dl carrots idt you'll like parsnips.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Celery is icky. I feel like I'm eating hair with the weird little strands when you bite into it.
  • krissielynn87
    Options
    Celery is icky. I feel like I'm eating hair with the weird little strands when you bite into it.
    I eat them with peanut butter
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

I've tried that... I just can't get over the little strings. It's a little better in soup when it's squishy
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Raw with hummus isn't too bad. But I have never met a roasted or grilled veggie I didn't like. I roast my carrots with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder (maybe some chili powder too for a small kick) in the oven at 400 for 20 - 25 minutes with 1 flip between then and enjoy! That's my go to recipe (with adjust times) for most veggies, carrots, parsnips, green beans, broccoli, asparagus, etc.
  • krissielynn87
    Options

I've tried that... I just can't get over the little strings. It's a little better in soup when it's squishy

oh, that makes sense!