Ladies who started around 280 please come in =)

Options

Replies

• GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I started at 256. I've lost 28.6 lbs.

My shirts are too big. My good bras are too big. I'm wearing sport bras now because they can handle contraction better (I think that my breasts must weight 10 pounds less. They feel so different in size and weight). My dresses are too big. The shoulder seams hang off my shoulders by an inch or more. T-shirts are the same size, but they are noticeably better fitting. (If I could have found bigger T-shirts, I would have bought them. Nice to know that they fit properly now). My caftans (that I wear mornings while I have coffee and write here) are so large that they won't stay on my shoulders.

but you asked about Jeans, and that's a different story.

I have one pair that I won't wear in public any more - but I think that's because they were so stretched out. Same with a pair of capris that I use for exercise. I've found a pair o jeans that I can wear that I haven't worn for two years or more, but my butt is still not shrinking noticeably, so that's a problem. The jeans fit sort-of, but my waist is too small for them, so I wear a belt (that didn't even go around me before I started) and because of my expansive butt, they are tight in the crotch. But they do go up, zip, and button easily.

My inch loss is real. I've seen the measurements. Perhaps not as real as I would like in the context of jeans-size. Because of my obesity, I couldn't find my waist and didn't know where my hips were, so I began measuring neck and just under my breasts (the bra band size). This didn't move around so I got more consistent measurements.

I would prefer to lose weight from the bottom up rather than the top down. It doesn't seem fair this way. I rather liked having larger bust (though not that large. I like what I have now), but that was the first to NOTICEABLY go away. I'm afraid that I'll be almost flat chested again before my butt even starts going away.
  • purpleprose
    Options
    When I started in 2011, I was about 285 pounds and a size 22W/24W depending on how things fit. I don't remember how long it took me to drop a size, though, because I was in grad school and didn't have the money immediately to go buy more. I do know that within 6 months I'd dropped to a regular 18 in pants because my mother took me shopping. She said she couldn't stand to see such baggy, gross pants on me anymore. Teehee!

2.5 years later, I'm down 80+ pounds (I've been down 100 before, but packed some on in the last 2 months), and am comfortably a 12 in pants and a 10 in tops. It depends on the cut of the pants and tops and I'm now not bothered by size as much. I prefer to be a medium in tops over a large, but if something is cute and fits better in a large, I'll buy it in a large! I did, however, recently buy a size small cardigan and while I know it was an anomaly, it felt awesome.

Losing all those sizes got really expensive, so enjoy the fact that you're losing weight but not necessarily dropping a size yet! I'm lucky I had family who wanted to see me in nice clothes. Otherwise, everything I wore was waaaaay too loose.

Edit: feel free to add me! My list shrank recently and I'm looking for new friends. :flowerforyou:
  • Agarcia8587
    Agarcia8587 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi I started 18 at highest 240. 5'6. Now at @220 18 s loose on my legs n would fall a lil so now fit n a snug 16 I want to get out of 200s my goal for now 195 gw...can people tell me how u girls got out of 220s calorie amount. Iv been stuck 220 for more than 2 mths pls help any tips?
  • leaheringlewis
    Options
    I use to be 320 lbs, 5'3'' and had the gastric by pass 4 years ago. I got down to 178. Recently I gained 20 lbs so I am determined to get back down.

The new jeans it seems are made smaller, then they were use too. However when I buy them at Macy's or places like that I always wear a smaller size.
  • purpleprose
    Options
    Hi I started 18 at highest 240. 5'6. Now at @220 18 s loose on my legs n would fall a lil so now fit n a snug 16 I want to get out of 200s my goal for now 195 gw...can people tell me how u girls got out of 220s calorie amount. Iv been stuck 220 for more than 2 mths pls help any tips?

I can't see your diary to take a look at what you're eating. If you friend me, I'll take a look and see if I can help! I plateaud in that range for a little while, too.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it was said already (skimmed through), but I had to lose about 2inches on my waist and hips each before I lost a pants size. For the first drop from 18-16 it took more like 30lbs to drop. Then it was 20lbs from 16-14. I'm also really tall, so it may be a bit less for you, but I think measuring by inches is your best bet for figuring out what your goal should be.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and started at 287- last weigh in was 231 and I weigh in again tomorrow.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Hey doll

I started at 260 and didnt change pants sizes until I got around 220. It turned out it was mostly because those 18-24 sizes have a LOT of stretch fabric in them to help with comfort, etc. The I got a job in fashion and learned tons about fabric and how sizing works. For every inch of cotton you lose, you can give up -up to 3 inches of stretch.

So while many of us were wearing an 18 because we could get into it, we should have been wearing a 22 or a 24.
    So first I actually shrank into the size I was already wearing (when I could have lost two sizes - damn)
    Then I had to shrink out of that size 18. So it was about 40-60 pounds before my pants were getting loose too and I got to complain about having to shrink them in the dryer to get them to fit - which is always a win.

The good news?

there is less poundage difference the smaller your sizes get. At 220 I was a 16, at 210 a 14, at 200 a 12, at 190 a 10 and so on.

Did you know that the difference between a size 6 and a size 4 usually comes out to about 7 pounds? true story.

Dont give up, realize that you're going up to the top of the highest hill on the rollercoaster before you will start to plummet.

*im sorry if any of this message is offensive.
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think the sizes as we gain weight are pretty subjective. Even though I gained weight I would not buy pants larger than a size 18W, so if I found an 18W and it didn't fit I didn't buy it. Now, that I have lost 52 pounds I realize just how much I had stretched out my 18W pants, some of them are big, some fit just right. Although when I absolutely had to have new pants I broke down and purchased one or two pair of size 20W (which were tight) but they are long gone after the first 30 pounds went.

My sister gave me some of her pants that were too large for them-I can get in one pair of the 14W, and a couple of the 16W ones. I wouldn't venture to say I am a 16W at this point, because I am trying to be true to myself.

By the way I am 5'6.
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hey doll

I started at 260 and didnt change pants sizes until I got around 220. It turned out it was mostly because those 18-24 sizes have a LOT of stretch fabric in them to help with comfort, etc. The I got a job in fashion and learned tons about fabric and how sizing works. For every inch of cotton you lose, you can give up -up to 3 inches of stretch.

So while many of us were wearing an 18 because we could get into it, we should have been wearing a 22 or a 24.
    So first I actually shrank into the size I was already wearing (when I could have lost two sizes - damn)
    Then I had to shrink out of that size 18. So it was about 40-60 pounds before my pants were getting loose too and I got to complain about having to shrink them in the dryer to get them to fit - which is always a win.

The good news?

there is less poundage difference the smaller your sizes get. At 220 I was a 16, at 210 a 14, at 200 a 12, at 190 a 10 and so on.

Did you know that the difference between a size 6 and a size 4 usually comes out to about 7 pounds? true story.

Dont give up, realize that you're going up to the top of the highest hill on the rollercoaster before you will start to plummet.

This is super true. I was deluding myself buying 1X tops and 18W pants. I have lost 52 pounds and can still wear many of those 18W pants, along with the closet full of 18W's with the tags on them that I couldn't fit because I really was a 22!
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'6 started at 275 sz.22 before the holidays i got to 241 now i back at 251 (getting back on track). at 241 i was able to fit tight into a sz. 20.
  • purpleprose
    Options
    The good news?

SO TRUE about smaller sizes - it's amazing how quickly a 10 pound drop can mean a whole different dress size.

Also - have no idea how this post could be offensive! :smile:
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and started out at 280lbs as well. My pant size was a 22/24 and I'm down to an 18/20 too, depending on the brand. Some 18s are way too tight, and others are just right. I currently weight about 235lbs. I've been doing this for a year, and only recently moved down to the size 18. I hope that helps!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Crap forgot to mention jeans-

at 5'9 when I started at 287 I was wearing a 24 but pushin it, now i'm 231 and wearing a 16 they're still pretty tight but a little looser by the day! =]
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I started at 288. I am now 182. I am a size 10 to 12 mostly. I am 5'7. I have about 40 pounds to go or so. Feel free to add me.
    I was a size 18 I now wear small tops from an XXL
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    The good news?

SO TRUE about smaller sizes - it's amazing how quickly a 10 pound drop can mean a whole different dress size.

I was implying that people were wearing clothing too small for them to begin with, that's like... hell-worthy
  • BeyondTrouble
    BeyondTrouble Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The good news?

I was implying that people were wearing clothing too small for them to begin with, that's like... hell-worthy

It's not hell worthy - it's true! I routinely refused to buy bigger sizes so I wore the begezzes out of my stretched out 16's & 18's so I wouldn't have to *gasp* admit I was really more comfortable in a size 20!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who sweated to get those pants on, dealt with that muffin top it always gave and let my jeans go unwashed a few days longer than i should have so they would stay stretched out ...to the point where they looked halfway decent and didn't cut my breath off when I sat down :)

I SWORE I'd never buy larger since I planned on losing weight. I swore the same thing at size 14 too, btw....until I seriously couldn't pull them up over my thighs.

Ps. Im 5'5 and I usually stay a size 16 until I'm around 180. I have a belly and a whole caboose full of fun going on back there! *wiggles*.
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Started at 283, size 20-22; it was 40lbs before my gut would let me get into a new size, even though my legs were swimming in my pants. Cups size went down IMMEDIATELY, arms thinned out, but the booty and the stomach were deciding my sizes.
  • sam0828
    sam0828 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and started at 291 (my highest) and a size 24/26. I am now about 230 and a size 18.I feel like I didn't drop a size for a while and then al of a sudden I was down 2 sizes.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Started at 283, size 20-22; it was 40lbs before my gut would let me get into a new size, even though my legs were swimming in my pants. Cups size went down IMMEDIATELY, arms thinned out, but the booty and the stomach were deciding my sizes.

DITTO!!! same for me.. and now Im down 70 pounds and into size 14 at 204 pounds...I can also now wear a size Medium my boobs were the first to go despite my legs & waist having a LOT of spare room ... I was still needing size 18 pants until weeks ago because my butt & gut ( actually more like my kangaroo pouch) refused to go....my top and bottom half of my body do not match ( but they didnt when I was 125 lbs many years ago) shirt/dress....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!