Calling all formerly/currently obese runners!

Options
Kitship
Kitship Posts: 579 Member
I have been wanting to try running/jogging as a main source of cardio activity. Anyone start running in the 250's or 260's? Is it safe to start jogging when you're still considered "obese"?

***Edit: Sorry, this should have gone to the fitness board. :tongue:

Replies

• s_fehr
    s_fehr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how safe it is, i am not really that knowledgable but i did start the couch 2 5K program a while ago and i'm 212 adn 5'3. I do repeat sometimes when i feel i cannot move onto the next week comfortably. I most likely jog slower than most people too. I do 4.0 for jogging on the treadmill on a good day. Bad days 3.5. And i walk at a pace of 2.5
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I started when I was 225 yeeears ago. It wasnt easy and I ran slower than molasses dripping. Eventually the more weight I lost. the faster I got.

I did a modified C25K. I repeated A LOT of weeks, sometimes multiple times.

Good luck!
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I started at 275.. your knees may not like you in the beginning but it gets better
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am slightly concerned about my knees! Thanks for everyone's input. :smile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I did my first Cto5K when I weighed 220~

Go for it!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    go with the Couch to 5K program. It starts you out very slowly, so you can build the strength you need. Your knees will thank you for taking it easy to begin with.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I did C25K for the first time last night. I weight a little over 300 pounds. Surprisingly, no pain in my knees or my bum foot with a heel spur. I spent a bit on really decent shoes though. I'm not the fastest runner, I was jogging betweein 4.2 and 4.5, and walking at 3mph. But I got through the entire program.

Good luck!
  • JustinDoctrinated
    Options
    I did C25K when I was in the mid 300s and made it up to (a slow) 5k without too much difficulty.

A couple of words of advice:

1. Friction's the enemy. I always run with compression shorts now.
    2. Listen to your knees.

I don't run as much anymore, actually, because of my knees.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I started when I was 278!! I love to run. I never had issues.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was 200 when I started.My knees and hips hated me but it was well worth it in the end. Go at your pace and lots of ICE!!! Good luck!
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I started running at 207 and dropped to 177 in 3 months!! I'd say do it but start off slow!! I did c25k and now I can run 5 miles at a pretty good pace. I think using knee braces saved my knees.... they hurt a little in the beginning but now I have almost no pain when I run =) Good luck hun!
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I did C25K for the first time last night. I weight a little over 300 pounds. Surprisingly, no pain in my knees or my bum foot with a heel spur. I spent a bit on really decent shoes though. I'm not the fastest runner, I was jogging betweein 4.2 and 4.5, and walking at 3mph. But I got through the entire program.

Good luck!

Oh yeah... shoes!!! I spent about 150 on a good pair after having my feet and running style analyzed. Do it!!
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MKolek00
    MKolek00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Started at 302. Couch to 5k is the way to go! It teaches you how to run and when to push yourself. I'm running 10k's now and running 3 times a week.

Just do it!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Personally, dont use the treadmill....bad things happen

344Funny_Animated_GIF_Gir.gif
  • gdavidm
    gdavidm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started C25K when I was about 350 and an now training for a 10K. I am at 300 so still very much in the Obese category. Your legs will get stronger bu the hard part is the breathing. Once you get that down it will be easy to keep improving.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I trained for a marathon and completed it at about 260 pounds. I've since gained back the weight and am once again on the way back down. I did have issues with my knees...torn miniscus...which is part of the reason I gained a lot of the weight back initially. If I had it to do over again I'd probably keep it to shorter distances...at least until I got down to a lighter weight.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You do have to be more careful because the extra weight puts alot more stress on your back and joints. However, I would not say it is dangerous nor inadvisable to try. I'm not an expert, but I have learned a few things over the last year or so, through trial and error and personal experience, that have helped me tremendously. My advice:

1. Go to Fleet Feet or another store that specializes in running shoes and/or running gear to get fitted for a good pair of running shoes. It is a little more expensive to go this route, but they take a look at your height, weight, gait, and the shape of your feet. They also take measurements to make sure you have the correct size. I had to learn this lesson the hard way. Last year when I started the C25K program, I started having severe knee pain about two weeks into it. It took several weeks to recover from the patellar tendonitis resulting from using improper running shoes. I didn't have any more problems with knee or hip pain after I bit the bullet and shelled out the extra dough for the right pair of shoes from Fleet Feet. I still have them a year later and they still have alot of wear in them. Well worth the $110-$120 I had to pay.

2. Make sure you have a good training regimen in place. C25K is a good place to start as others suggested. However, I have also discovered that a good strength training routine for your legs and core, performed a couple times/week, also works wonders to improve running form and muscle endurance. A good Tabata routine once or twice per week helps improve your cardiovascular endurance, too. (In case you are unfamiliar with the Tabata method, here is a link to a brief description: http://tabatatraining.org/) Alot of local gyms are now offering Tabata classes.

3. Nutrition and hydration are key. Running expends alot of energy in a very short period of time. Making sure you have proper nutrition before and after your running sessions will go a long way in improving endurance and stamina during your workout, and a small snack after running will help in your recovery. Also, make sure you stay hydrated. During the winter months, I am usually okay just drinking water. However, in warmer weather (because I am losing alot more fluid via increased perspiration), I like to drink a 50/50 mix of gatorade and water before and during my workout.
  • MariatheMunta
    Options
    Hi There

I started running when I was aged 30 and 220pounds (I'm pretty short too - only 5f 3in). I didn't have any previous injuries or joint issues but I do have asthma. I trained solidly for several months, just increasing my distances every week until I could run comfortably for 15 kilometers non-stop. My longest run was 19km. Shortly after I ran most of a half marathon and that was a great milestone for me. I also walked and completed a full marathon. The key is to start off slow, always stick to your own "forever pace" and to focus on "keep going". If I can do it, anyone can!

Good luck with your running!
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I started running at 270 and down to 250 where I stalled because of a neck injury and surgery. I'm slowly starting to get back physically so I can run more consistently. My asthma gives me issues running at the gym and the 10 degree outside now causes issues to my asthma as well. I had no problem starting running at this weight and helped to break my plateau that I was at. No injuries, aches, or pains from it. What questions you have??? :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!