Advice wanted: How do you cope with STRESS!?

Options

Replies

• halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Running
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    There is stress like-I just need to rest and relax with a cup of tea. but then there is stress like-I'm overwhelmed and unhappy and need a way to break out of this rut I'm stuck in that is making me so stressed and unhappy. For the former-yoga, tea, restful things.

For the latter-more intense cardio activity
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Bath and Body Works Eucalyptus and Spearmint Bubble Bath after the kidlets go to bed. No kidding. :drinker:
  • bambi5014
    Options
    I agree and will try both ways. THANKS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    Try a yoga class if you can. Beginner's yoga. I have had terrible anxiety for years and I've developed a dizzy condition because of it (according to my neurologist). I've been dizzy non-stop with no breaks for the last 8 months with no end sight. When it comes to something like this, all those things I stressed about in the past (money, drama, friends, family, etc.) don't seem so important now. Walking, as someone else mentioned, is wonderful. I love being outside but living in Michigan puts a damper on that. Reading is good to if you like that. Lets you "escape" for a little bit.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    honestly getting away from the stressors helps me. I have an 18 yo and 23 yo and both have given me a tremendous amount of "issues" in the last 4 years. Just being able to get away to walk in a bookstore and browse around, having a cup of coffee & being alone or sometimes talking to a good friend & just unloading. Exercise usually helps me too. Just getting away for a short time though helps me a lot and last but not least PRAYER!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also have health problems from post traumatic stress and need to be diligent about managing my stress and not getting triggered into a bad downward spiral. And I do really well with it. I thought it was not a problem and I could just be stressed and keep going about my life, but it turns out that chronic stress can cause a number of actual health problems.

So, I just try to eliminate any unnecessary stress. I work on putting the really big stressful things aside and doing my best to not worry or think about it until I absolutely have to. I dance, exercise, walk in fresh air, play with my children, do yoga, meditate, drink tea, have good nutrition, I try my best to get good sleep (but don't always sleep well), read, spend time with my husband. I also avoid caffeine because for me it can really make it worse causing jittery anxiety. But, different people respond differently to caffeine. I can see for a lot of people it gives them energy.

It's always good to have a passion or passions in life to be productive, focused and enjoy.

p.s. I don't understand the stress generating type of people. The type of people that get all angry and stressed about completely unimportant things (maybe they are just dramatic). I am actually a very chill and calm person. I just have post traumatic stress disorder and can handle high levels of underlying stress, but it actually started causing health problems so I have no choice but to manage it better (and I am glad that I am).
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The reality is that stress is your reaction to things you don't like, but cannot control. May-be you have some influence, but there are things we dislike that we all have to tolerate. For me right now I work in a team of three. My two peers want to advance and are willing to do anything they think will make them look good. It's tough, and I don't want to leave my job, so I have tto deal.

Here's how I cope. First, I give myself half an hour as soon as I come home to decompress. I get on the computer, read personal e-mails, play on Facebook, anything that suits me. Next, I go out with the dogs and get them their exercise. The run, chase their frisbees, and love every second. I find it engrossing enough that I stop thinking about work. I'm not sure what would be engrossing enough for you to help your mind move in a different direction, but I hope you find it.

At this point, I'm settled mentally and do my exercise, usually Just Dance. All of my exercise is xbox kinect games. I have so much fun that it feels less like exercise and more like playing. Then I'll prepare a nice healthy dinner. I find eating foods that I love which are also healthy makes a huge difference is simply feeling good.

Good luck. I was having some impulse control problems and decided to check in here and was so pleased to see your thread. Thinking about constructive solutions got my head back out of the icky place it was in.
  • alourdes_J
    alourdes_J Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Spinning classes and walking around the mall helps me this time of the year because of the cold and snowy weather up here. Motivation can be hard sometimes especially this time of the year.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Bag of Doritos and a bottle of wine
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness: shots, sex and running, and not necessarily in that order but they all have their place. Work hard. Play hard.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i pick things up and put them down
    i run away for 6-8 miles
    I ramble and talk nonsense and made up words and get all flustered cause I cant communicate why im so stuck until someone stops and listens to me

You shove it down and you let it come out in spurts of violence and alcoholism
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I've got "anti-kill people pills." They're working, so far.

Gym 90 minutes a day with regular visits to the heavy bag.
  • bambi5014
    Options

Can you share some with me? lol What are you on? I'm thinking it might be time to consider getting on some Lexapro or similar anti-depressant.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Stressed or blue/sad? I find both to be completely different for me. But anyway, what helps me...

1. RANT about your stressor. Get it out of your system & to a friend/family member that will listen or say things to comfort you (Whether that's advice, sympathy, "I know how you feel," or jokes, that's up to you). If you can't talk to them upfront, texting or messaging online works well too.

2. Go see a movie. This helped me a lot when I was depressed or stressed. I would get sucked into the movie & forget about my stress for a good 1.5-2hrs. Plus the idea of getting out of the house & with a friend makes you feel more productive compared to laying around the house lethargically.

3. Bike ride, rollerblade or walk. I live in southern Canada, so I know that's hard to do in the winter. Try cruising around in your car to some uplifting or dancy songs (I suppose some ppl mayblike sad/angry songs but personally that makes me more stressed/sad). Make sure you pick a calm area to drive in (No traffic, slow speed limits, scenic). That calms me.

4. Take a nap! Sometimes laying on the couch curled up with a blanket feels better than eating loads of snacks in front of the tv (Which leads to diet guilt or that gross overstuffed feeling).

5. Hold your cat! Hug your dog! Pet or play with a little animal :)
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the light, the future is
  • missliss4763
    missliss4763 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I exercise, Take some me time outside and get some fresh air, hot bath, paint my toes, read a magazine, pretty much anything that involves ONLY ME!!!
  • missliss4763
    missliss4763 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    P.S...you can add me also and my friends!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Can you share some with me? lol What are you on? I'm thinking it might be time to consider getting on some Lexapro or similar anti-depressant.

Just the garden variety anti-depressant. Helps me keep the lid on the angry monster.
  • Bambers14
    Bambers14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a hot yoga class? NOT BIKRAM but a foundations or restorative hot yoga works wonders (I go just once a week and it's fantastic). Also yes to exercise - best way is with a gym buddy to get you there. I hired a trainer but that's expensive so will soon be going alone. After a year of regular gym and hot yoga I just got off my anti-depressant I've been on for 6 years!