Ladies who started around 280 please come in =)

Options

Replies

• shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I am 5'5" and started at 280lbs last March 2012 and have since lost 120ish pounds and currently weigh 160ish. I was a tight size 24 and now wear a 10/12 depending on the brand and or fit. My tummy is the last place I am losing but nothng some control tights and a good fittting skirt won't cover. I am still about 30lbs from my goal weight of 130lbs and am sooooo excited to be almost in a normal weight because when I started I was morbidly obese. The last 30 pounds are coming off more slowly but I am just tweaking my nurtition and trying to switch up my exercise routine. I eat a mainly clean vegetatian diet and don't track my calories but instead use the pie method of eating (1/2 vegetables, 1/4 carb (grains), 1/4 protien). And I run at least 5 days a week and am just starting to add some cross training (paddleboarding, swimming, biking).

You can do this, for me it was more about getting past my mental obstacles and thinking I could do it first and feeling better about myself...then my actions followed. The "fake it until you make it" approach.

Here is a recent picture (280ish on the left and 160ish on the right)

ScreenShot2013-01-03at91338PM_zpse0475bac-1_zps80d2a6c4.jpg
  • carrisaalejandre
    carrisaalejandre Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started at 295 in a size 24 I am 265 now and wear 22 I went down a size when I lost 15pounds. I felt like I would never drop a size It will happen. Good luck on your journey=)
  • carrisaalejandre
    carrisaalejandre Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    wow you look great! what was your form of exercise when you first started??
  • Jennawants2000
    Jennawants2000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am just like you! I am loosing but it seems to be in my legs and butt...but my belly isn't budging. Let's fine something to work off our gut! IDK what it is but I'm going to try changing up my workouts and see what happens. Big bellies, run in my family.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump to read about all my similar-sized ladies later!!
  • AmberLynn801
    AmberLynn801 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started 257 at 5'7".. I am now down to 228! Its hard work but we can do it for sure!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Heres a pic i just took today. I was 277 lbs, size tight 22. Now a size 10. Good luck ladies. Its so daunting in the beginning. Take it small goal by small goal :)

F77BFD7D-3D4F-41A0-BFF9-DCBEBE1629DE-651-0000005792C67BCD.jpg
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    wow you look great! what was your form of exercise when you first started??

I started out by just walking every day and making sure there we some hills on my route, which isn't hard because I live at the water's edge so it is straight up from my house. I aimed to walk 3 miles every day and as the weight came off, my pace quickened but the distance stayed the same.
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 286 and a size 24. I started MFP at 257 and a size 22. I honestly don't remember how long it took me to drop sizes. Try not to get too frustrated. As someone else stated, I think it takes losing quite a bit to go down in sizes when you have more to lose.. I've been bouncing between 165 and 170 for a few months and I'm a size 10 in most things. Just keep going and you'll get there :) Maybe go ahead and buy a pair of pants in the next size down and just keep trying them on until they fit? That would be good motivation to keep going on those days that you feel frustrated.
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I started at 260, and found that my jeans started getting loose around 225. I think I was wearing wicked tight pants by the time I was up to 260, so it took longer to go down in size.

But I'm now in a tight 14, down from a 24. Still got 30 lbs I'd like to lose, would love to see 10. Will settle for 12
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I started at 275 in a tight 20. I'm down 30 pounds (was down 40 before Christmas). And even at 40 pounds lost I was still in an 18. They were all too big, but 16's were just still a little too tight. I'm hoping to drop some sizes soon...it's very frustrating.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Im wearing a size 7 juniors right now by the way :) so I went from a 22 to a 7.
  • lynus85
    lynus85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    hey girl its a common issue
    i started at 289 in a size 24- wore the same size for quite a while.. id say after i lost about 30 pounds i started buying smaller clothing but i also ran into the same problems as you.

Id like to say it gets better, but i still have that problem. Im wearing a size 14 now, often times it fits too big but a 12 is almost always too small. its just a reality we have to deal with.

best of luck with your journey!
  • banks89202
    Options
    I started at 283lbs at 5"9 and was a size 18, I am now down to 245lbs and in a size 16 pants and sometimes a 15 depending on the brand and style. I think everyone is different but I can't wait to get to a 14!!!
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I started at 282 a few years ago and a size 24. I got down to 172 in about 1.2yrs. I was almoooooost in a size 10 M/L I could easily shop at skinny girl stores ( I miss that...so easy) I'm 203 now and back on it, hoping to get to 150-160..160 first goal and fit, fit, fit..lots of liftiing :) oh and I'm 5' 4.75 :)
  • guwisti
    guwisti Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and started at 287 wearing a size 28 in slacks and jeans and a 2x in t-shirts and 22/24 in tops. I'm now down to 252 and wear a size 22 in slacks...jeans still in my 24's but can zip up the 22's and XL in t-shirts and 18/20 in tops.

Even when I was in high school and weight 135 i was still a size 12, so i don't expect to go down too much, too big of hips here and I like them that way! Over the years I have "appled" out and while I have a normally hourglass figure with a tiny waist (used to be a 26 inch waist in those size 12's) I've always had a "gut". It is my gut area that is not giving up the ghost. legs and butt are shrinking and making my pants baggy, now if my stomach would just get with the program.

Everyone that is posted here is doing a fantastic job! We got this! :D
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Sadly I have since gained everything back over the holidays. :( But I am 5'9" with a starting weight of 292. I lost 26 lbs and got down to 266

I was (am now that I gained it back) also wearing an 18 or 20 depeding on the type of jeans. 20 is almost always a bit baggy, 18 gives me a bit of a muffin top. With the 26lbs I lost the 18's fit comfortably and I could manage to squeeze into a 16 sized dress but not 16 jeans yet. I agree, another 10lbs and I bet you will be down a size! Good luck!
  • afmom2013
    Options
    My highest weight was 287.5 at which point I had to buy size 24 jeans, that was my wake up call! When I got to 275, I was comfortably back in my 22s. I am now 261 and am wearing 18s. I had got down to 247 and the 18s were very loose and I was hoping to start buying 16s but I messed up and gained some weight back. At 261 my 18s are snug and I am wearing 20s comfortably. Ugh! I'm so ready to NOT shop in Plus size clothing shops. My motivation right now is to get down to 16s. I haven't worn size 16s since I was in my twenties. I would love to get back to 8/10s again but that is long time away. I think to keep focused I will buy a pair of killer size 16 jeans and hang them in full view in my bedroom as a reminder. This is where I want to be!!! Good luck to everyone striving to get out of the Plus sizes!
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I went down in sizes every 30lbs, I am an apple shape gal so I too have to wash my jeans often to have them fit well lol Good luck doll!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!