What gets you through your workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• ginessa
    ginessa Posts: 3
    Options
    Drinking a cup or so of coffee before my workout and my IPOD are what gets me through!
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Heh, These are all good 'motivations' to get through a workout, but I think th OP was talking about actual energy.

once you get past about 40 minutes of aerobic exercise, that's when the real action starts happening with respect to fat burning, etc. If you find yourself starting to conk out, a little bit of sports drink or a commercial energy gel can give you a little burst of blood sugar to get your second wind going.

I myself am starting to do some research into what it takes me to do >1 hour workouts (bike rides), what I'll have to eat on the road to keep me going.

But the basic answer to your question is simple carbs are best for fast energy. Glucose.

I follow the general guideline of any aerobic exercise longer than 30 consecutive minutes needs to have a sports drink or goo as part of the exercise. Whether its making sure the gatorade is at the water stop or carrying a goo pack, you have to plan for it, and in my experience it has been a huge help in increasing stamina and performance for long distances (half and full marathons, for example).
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    As long as I don't feel physical hunger, I can usually make it through a workout. If it's about an hour or so before I workout, I'll eat a small snack with a good mix of carbs/fat/protein to refuel. One of my favorites: Stacy's baked pita chips with hummus or PB.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a good question. I would just look forward to feeling better after each work out every day. I was, ahem, will be working out again 5 days a week and just the feeling of being stronger, taller, and more motivated to keep going keeps me going. Good luck. :wink: Oh and I chew ALOT of gum!!! LOL
  • earlie
    earlie Posts: 22
    Options
    I usually have a snack about an hour before my workout (yogart or a piece of fruit) and during I listen to music....music that is upbeat I have a great mix on my ipod.
  • Kiiradee
    Kiiradee Posts: 12
    Options
    MUSIC!!! by far music music music ... when i start to slack i start thinking gah im only letting myself down and the workout doesnt go on forever so i might as well make the most of it... the feeling that im in control of my life and my body makes me feel good and spurs me on and on...
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I take a caffeine pill (instead of drinking coffee) before hand and I either hit the pavement and run or I hit the gym and lift weights and do cardio! I get through it by know that I will feel great afterward! I know that if I'm sweaty and feel beat up I had a great workout! I love that feeling! Plus... my goal body type is tucked in the back of my brain and when I feel lazy I remind myself I will never look like that by doing half *kitten* workouts.

And the music I listen to has to be upbeat! I definitely recommend an iPod and an upbeat playlist!
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    This will sound silly, I know.

My workout's go much quicker when I'm air drumming or air guitar-ing. It works better when my hair is a little long-ish and I can whip it around.

I've played in a few bands in my day, always guitar, wishing I could play drums. It's been a while since I played in front of people, but doing that while I ride the bike tricks my mind into thinking the sweat is from rocking out and not from working out. Before I know it, the 30 minutes is over and I say....THANK YOU CHICAGO, GOOD NIGHT.

I get some weird looks at the Y.

This ^^^^..........is awesome. I do the same thing on the elliptical. I am a drummer so whatever is on my iphone(music!) I am drumming right along with it. Do I get funny looks? Sure. Do I care? Nay. It's all about what drives YOU. And if air guitaring or drumming gets you going and motivated then go for it.

Music is my main motivation while I'm on the elliptical. Also, I watch Sports Center in the mornings at the gym and watching all of those athletes doing their thing makes me want to train harder.
  • hawkeye01
    hawkeye01 Posts: 162
    Options
    Here are a few things that get me through my work-outs. Some have already been mentioned, but this works for me.

1 - A banana about 30mins. to 1 hour before
    2 - My IPOD. I can't workout without it now.
    3 - The results I am getting from working out motivates me more and more
    4 - Sadly, the extra food I know I will get to eat because of the calories burned

Good luck and go with whatever works best for you!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, whatever is on the TV at the gym keeps me going. I'm distracted by having to read the subtitles that I'm not constantly watching the time on the machine. I do periodically look down to make sure I'm still at 10 cal per minute (this is my goal on the elliptical) or to see how much time I have left or how many calories total I've burned - to know whether to go faster or stay at the same speed. I love working out on Thursdays because the Office is on... I don't have cable at home so the only TV I see is at the gym!! lol
  • corndog05
    corndog05 Posts: 53
    Options
    My Ipod and my Amazon Kindle full of books. When I'm doing hour-long classes, quite honestly the clock gets me through. I watch it and know when I hit the top of the hour, it's all downhill for the last 30 minutes of the class.