Why do I look the same after losing weight?

Options
I lost a fairly significant amount of weight but I don't look any different -- just a smaller version of my chubby self. I eat an extremely healthy diet, do not drink or smoke, do cardio 5x a week and lifting 3x along with a pilates class. I also work as a waitress so I am constantly running around. I have been doing this for six months now! The scale says 114 lbs now but I honestly think it must be broken. I feel closer to 125-130. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    How tall are you that you feel chubby at 114lbs? :huh:
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I would say that you are probably being too hard on yourself. Have you taken pictures of your weight loss? That helps to see the changes that you can miss in the mirror.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How tall are you that you feel chubby at 114lbs? :huh:

^ Agreed. However, I also feel like I don't look any different, but everyone tells me I look very different after losing 54 pounds.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you didn't change your body composition. You are a smaller version of the old you. Congrats on the weight loss but a better goal moving forward would be to focus on body fat %and lean body mass. Also, don't be afraid to hit the weights. Squat, then lunge, then squat s'more. Good luck.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Did you take before pictures? Also, you might need to work on building some strength to see a significant difference in the way you look.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    How hard did you hit the weights? Lifting weights is a broad term, are we talking hello kitty pink 5lb'ers (joking, please take no offense) or did you REALLY lift heavy? Also, how large was your calorie deficit and average daily protein intake?
  • ddance3
    ddance3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Before and after pics help me a lot too!
    I do have the same issue with you, but my friends told me (and its something I have to keep in mind myself), is that you see yourself in the mirror everyday. Therefore the change is (hopefully) more gradual and not really noticable.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Probably a mix of body composition (need to develop muscle) and your mind messing with you. It takes a long *kitten* time for your brain to figure out what you did to your body.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to gain some muscle. Just a thought
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    ... .and by who's perception do you not "look" any different? Your own? Sometimes the mind doesn't catch up to the changes.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    How hard did you hit the weights? Lifting weights is a broad term, are we talking hello kitty pink 5lb'ers (joking, please take no offense) or did you REALLY lift heavy? Also, how large was your calorie deficit and average daily protein intake?

I was thinking the same thing.

HOw hard were you lifting?

And maybe if you switched what you did...weights 5x, cardio 3x..you would see different body recomp? Just a suggestion.

But also what someone else said..

maybe your mind hasn't caught up yet!
  • At0991217
    Options
    I am just under 5-5. I do have before and after pics and will post them as soon as I can! I look nearly identical in them. I do do squats and lunges. I only use ten pound weights for lunges and squats. For lifting, I use machines and lift what I can to fatigue. I average around 1300 calories a day and do not eat calories back. For protein, I am not sure. I guess I would say I follow a Medit. diet and mostly only eat fish for meat and sometimes chicken for my meals along with raw veggies since I hate cooked veggies. I do not think I eat enough protein but I cannot eat other meats! An average day for me would be some fruit and yogurt for breakfast, veggies and rice for lunch with soy milk, and baked fish with a vegetable and some soup for dinner. I will occasionally eat fruit almonds or a granola bar for a snack. I do not drink soda, eat fried food, or junk food. I have no idea if this is considered good eating habits or,not -- I just tend to avoid fried, sugary, etc because it makes me feel sick.

I haven't noticed much change in my body composition but my endurance for running is way up which is encouraging :)
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    get off the machines. ;) Seriously. I never saw any great gains even "lifiting to fatigue" on a machine. Just look at the women who use machines vs. the women in the free weight area who are SERIOUSLY lifting. I bet 9 times out of 10 the woman lifting the free weights look much better.

I am not sure how old you are, but get off, stand up and lift weights. You'll change.

I know you said you are a waitress...and I know how it is to be on one's feet all day(I'm a nurse) and it seems better to sit down...but you'll see better results not using those contraptions.
  • At0991217
    Options
    If I was to just increase my cardio, would the weight I lose from that make me look better? I have quite a bit of muscle in my legs but the rest of me is kind of squishy. People at the gym keep telling me to do cardio because otherwise muscles will form under fat and I will look even bigger. I was always thin naturally when I was younger and only in the last year did I go up to 130s then back to 114.

I am very new to dieting so any advice is helpful. i am especially interested in whether I should follow a more traditional Western diet or stick with what I am doing now.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Adding more cardio will not make you look better. Muscles will not "form under fat making you look bigger" as it is very hard for a woman to gain muscle mass, and virtually impossible on a calorific deficit. If you're worried about looking skinny-fat, lifting weights is the way forward. Or even starting with some body weight strength training like push ups, squats, lunges etc.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    If I was to just increase my cardio, would the weight I lose from that make me look better? I have quite a bit of muscle in my legs but the rest of me is kind of squishy. People at the gym keep telling me to do cardio because otherwise muscles will form under fat and I will look even bigger. I was always thin naturally when I was younger and only in the last year did I go up to 130s then back to 114.

I am very new to dieting so any advice is helpful. i am especially interested in whether I should follow a more traditional Western diet or stick with what I am doing now.

The people at your gym need to STFU!! LOL excuse my language but seriously! Ignore them. If you are at your target weight then more cardio is the last thing you need. Get in the free weights and do some lifting. Squats, Presses, Bench, Deadlift. As heavy as you can and always try to add weight as you get stronger. You will not bulk up. You will lean out. Research weight lifting programmes for beginners that incorporate compound lifts. It's the way ahead :wink:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    You sound very thin to me - I hope to get to 140lb and I'm your height. Even when I got married (23 years age) I was only 130lb. Do you want to look muscly or toned? If toned then try body conditioning classes instead (such as pilates) so you get firm without bulk.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It's called 'skinny fat' which is basically a smaller version of what you were. If you want to look different start lifting heavy. Your weight will go up but you'll start to look more toned and 'healthier'..
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Without pics it's hard to make comments. It could be possible that you've got a little body dysmorphia, (I think most of us have to a certain degree). What are your family and friends telling you? You may be being far to hard on yourself!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Are you still restricting calories? Trainers and such can correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you are still eating at a deficit it is going to be extremely difficult to change your body composition.