Banana's friend or foe ?

Options
Please help me out a bit here people, I have no hatred of the simple yellow fruit, however I am confused as to it's merits, LOTS of advise from some saying, fill up on them they are good for you, full of potassium etc....................BUT......................my thinking is, thats a hell of a lot of calories, I have one in the morning in my green monster smoothie ( yum) and possibly a couple more through the day...................trying to cut down to 2 a day....................I know I sound like an addict lol, just wondered what your thoughts are, good or bad ?

(UK) Love Lyn x

Replies

• deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Bananas are great for you. They are higher in calories and most people count 1 medium banana as 2 fruit servings. I love them though. I tend to eat 1/2 at one meal and the other 1/2 later in the day. If you love them then keep them in your diet
  • lyndaglass1
    Options
    Half is a good idea, thanks Hunni x
  • expatInsurance
    Options
    Indeed banana is extremely delicious but also full of calories, you either have it in a limited manner or indulge in some sporting activity to have your fill in the break.
  • lenjaw
    lenjaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this the other day, I was genuinely quite surprised when I saw how many calories were in them! I'd tend to stick to eating them only before exercising, but that's just me =) other than that I think they're a perfectly healthy snack which really do fill you up and probably stop you eating rubbish afterwards.

Jen

PS a green monster smoothie sounds amazing!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I eat a medium banana every day. 1/3 gets sliced over a peanut butter and honey thin in the morning, 1/3 goes into my protein shake and 1/3 goes in half a mountain bread wrap with more PB.
    It's filling, tasty and hasn't hurt my eating at all
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    i'd say one a day, if you are trying to get your 5, vegetables are superior!!

although you sound like you are doing well with the smoothie.

:D
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? MFP says a medium banana is 105 calories. That doesn't seem like a lot of calories to me. I eat 2-3 a day and find them to be a great filling snack. Maybe I'm doing it wrong! LOL
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? MFP says a medium banana is 105 calories. That doesn't seem like a lot of calories to me. I eat 2-3 a day and find them to be a great filling snack. Maybe I'm doing it wrong! LOL

No, I think everyone else is doing it wrong.
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I eat a medium banana every day. 1/3 gets sliced over a peanut butter and honey thin in the morning, 1/3 goes into my protein shake and 1/3 goes in half a mountain bread wrap with more PB.
    It's filling, tasty and hasn't hurt my eating at all

that sounds like a good way to split it up!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    High calorie? How is 110-120 considered high calories? Thats a perfect sized snack.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    bananas are good!!! I mean which is better??? snickers candy bar or a banana??? yes they are "sugar" and calorie dense to some degree but it is the better choice than a lot of 'crud' out there. There is always gonna be these kind of choices when you switch to a better eating.
  • mistakenidentity
    mistakenidentity Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Love bananas...in moderation!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love bananas. They are *very* low calorie when compared to cake.
  • caseyg9888
    Options
    Unnecessary apostrophe's, friend or foe?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Compared to other fruits they're higER calorie. And for weight watchers type people who dont count fruit and veg, 100 calories here and there soon mounts up. As well, the carb and sugar counts is higher than many other fruits. Doesn't make bananas a bad choice, but this information is useful.
  • mistakenidentity
    mistakenidentity Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone who's lost 105 lbs is doing anything wrong...silly girl! BTW...love your progress pictures! So encouraging!
  • _CiaoParis
    Options
    bestfriend :smile:
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    ^^ OMG, Cutest puppy ever CiaoParis.

I eat bananas with PB2 and Nutella and am not worried about it...
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Bananas are fine and even nutrient rich.. in moderation. They are also a high glycemic fruit though. I don't have them every day but sometimes I'll have a half or a whole medium banana as a snack. Generally I tend to stick to low glycemic fruits like apples and berries though which are also nutrient dense without the sugars.
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I enjoy bananas, especially frozen, they're like ice cream to me. I love buying the little bunches of baby bananas, and freezing them for a yummy treat especially drizzled with a little dark chocolate. I like that they are a good source of potassium, but a whole big banana is too much for me at once.