Why do I find it so hard to drink 8 glasses of water a day?

Options
I honestly can't remember the last time I drank 8 glasses of water a day. I allow myself a glass of juice a day at breakfast, and even after exercise I can't gulp down water like some people do - I drink really slowly by taking tiny sips.
Any suggestions on how to increase my water consumption without making me feel physically sick and bloated?

I've tried adding squash to my water for taste, but I don't want to drink 8 glasses of this a day! And I really don't think that taste is the problem.

I would really appreciate it if I could get some help :-) Thank you very much Abbie xo

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It doesn't actually have to be water, just count your liquids, and food actually counts for about 20% of that value. Your going to hear shortly that only water counts, which would mean all the other liquid is transferred to a holding tank then drained into a septic somewhere, no I don't think so.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It doesn't actually have to be water, just count your liquids, and food actually counts for about 20% of that value. Your going to hear shortly that only water counts, which would mean all the other liquid is transferred to a holding tank then drained into a septic somewhere, no I don't think so.

this
  • nsondy
    nsondy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Small water bottles sometimes help me. I go through phases of just not wanting to drink water, during those times I use my smallest water bottles so I feel like I am accomplishing something when I finish it, rather than using my liter bottles and feeling ovewhelmed by how much water I have to drink.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a bottle of water with me all the time. Find if its there Ill drink more of it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's not really good to guzzle your water down anyway. Something I find that helps is to have a nice big container that I can drink off of all day. I get 2 cups from my tea in the morning, 4 cups from my water container, 2 more cups from my water bottle at the gym and then at least 2 more cups at night with dinner, if not more.

It's hard to "count" liquids from foods but if you know you're eating a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, you're probably getting enough hydration. One good way to judge is the color of your urine. If it's very pale yellow and odorless, you're fine. If it's a bit stronger yellow, you probably need to drink more. Some foods and meds can alter the color of urine though so keep that in mind...
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, lots of people cannot drink that much water including my father and my husband. :noway: I drink about a gallon a day if not more. It is so easy for me to drink that much water, it is just me...My husband is getting better at it because he knows how important it is. He normally carries a bottle with him and drinks throughout the day. With my dad, he prefers it at room temperature and I also add some crystal light to it for flavoring. That helps him drink more. He was in the hospital recently and the Drs said he was very dehydrated. :noway: :grumble: Of course...

Water IS the most important nutrient for your body. More important than food. As someone said eating foods with a lot of water content can help with your overall intake but how much watermelon, etc can you eat? Just make a conscious effort to drink it. Minimum is 8 cups of water, have you measured that? It is actually not that much. Once you get used to it you will be drinking that and more. Your body will be asking for it. Also monitor it by the way your urine looks. Is it dark? You are dehydrated. You want your urine to be completely clear. Are you thirsty? You are dehydrated. Coffee, sodas and tea don't count because they are diuretics.

Best advice: JUST DO IT!!! CHEERS :drinker:
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much water either, and yet, I pee at least12 times a day. My theory is that these is a wormhole somewhere in a lake that is feeding water directly into my stomach. That, or I just eat a lot of high water foods - plants, etc.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You don't need to drink that much it's a myth with no scientific backing. I could post links but I suggest you google it and come to your own conclusion.
  • kmmuellr
    Options
    I can slam water like its nothing. My wife on the other hand can't. She's taken to carrying around a large cup with a straw. She claims that she drinks WAY more through a straw than she does if she's just drinking.

K
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Coffee, sodas and tea don't count because they are diuretics.
    Absolutely not true.
  • pugsley5
    pugsley5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am with you,water actually gives me terrible heartburn;-((( Diet Coke does not..so strange...lol.. I try to use little plastic cups to try to get through the day....I don't beat myself up if I don't drink 8 glasses and neither should you..We are trying..good luck,your not alone.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used to be you.....I never drank water. But I have a bottle that the gym where I go gave me and I need to drink two of them for my water intake. The first couple of months I would add 1 packet of crystal light to it and get it down....the second bottle of water I would not add anything to it. After about 2 wks. I found that while I was at the gym....I was drinking 3 bottles of water as I was working out. So the secret is.....get a bottle and then make yourself realize I should drink x amount. then set out to accomplish that. What I realize now ....when I want something to drink...while hubby is drinking diet soda....I go get a glass of water and put a lemon wedge in it and I 'm good. Wishing you luck....if I can do it.........trust me..........YOU can do it.
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i just get a 1.5 litre bottle of water which is equivelant to six glasses of water and carry that with me or have it at my desk. I also always drink through a straw, I find that I am drinking more water that way.

It works for me hopefully either one with work for you.

The other option is to put some lemon, lime, frozen strawberries or crystal light in your water. I dont like a whole lot of sweetness so I tend to use one of the single serving ones in a 1.5 l bottle of water.

Most of the time I find the big bottle and the glass with the straw do it for me without any flavouring!

Hope this helps
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I can't drink nowhere near as much in winter as I can in summer. In the warmer months I happily drink loads, in winter I have to pretty much force myself, I prefer tea when it's cold!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    As others have said there is no need to drink 8 glasses of water a day and other liquids count towards your fluid intake.

Basically, if your urine runs clear / very pale then drink less, if it runs dark then drink more.
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    I have a bottle of water with me all the time. Find if its there Ill drink more of it.

I do this too, if its in my face I'll drink it.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Cold water is what makes me able to drink it. Room temperature just makes me feel bloated and nauseous. It also just takes time to get used to it. Overall, I now prefer water. I didn't feel that way three months ago!
  • Northwest_Bob
    Northwest_Bob Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The thing about water for me is that it helps curtail hunger. I try to drink a glass each time before I eat. I also try to wait 10 minutes after I drink it to eat. Sometimes I think I am hungry, when I am really thirsty.

I agree with the large container idea. I keep a 1 liter sports water bottle at my desk and sip from it all day. There is no magic in changing your eating life style. But, if there is any magic in any diet program, it is filling up on water. If you are able to lose weight and keep it off without drinking lots of water, then more power to you.
  • Tann33
    Tann33 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I do this too, if its in my face I'll drink it.

Me too.
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    For me, it is a habit. Gradually work up to 8 glasses per day. When I first started keeping track of my water intake, it was impossible to drink 8 glasses. Now, it is easy as my body has adjusted to the amount. My mother was recently injured in an accident and they have pushed water at the rehab facility because of dehydration of her muscles. It is an important part of your overall health.