800 Calorie Diet Recommended by Doctor

Options
12346»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to find out is what type of Thyroid issue you are doing with. Roughly 90% of low thyroid issues are as a result of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and this is an autoimmune issue. There is a large correlation between Hashimoto's and Celiac Sprue or Gluten intolerances. It might be worth it to have this checked out as well. If you have this type of thyroid issue you will definitely need to compose your diet different than you would if it were just low thyroid. As far as 800 calories a day, you could subsist on that for some time. There have been plenty of studies conducted at that level of caloric intake. As for an N=1 trial on myself, I had to put myself on an autoimmune protocol to help regulate my thyroid and lose weight. Grains, dairy, and legume can cause stomach irritation which lead to "leaky gut" and autoimmune disorders. An emphasis should be placed on saturated fat and protein with leafy greens and some other cruciferous type vegetables rounding out your calories. This is a relatively Low Carbohydrate diet and your body will shift for carbohydrate burning to fat burning as it will need to get it's energy for your brain from the protein intake. In reality you don't need carbohydrates to live and there is no such thing as an "essential carbohydrate". Your body can produce carbohydrates (glucose) from protein and fat through the process of gluconeogenesis. You also want to make sure that you stay away from iodine during this time as that can flare thyroid symptoms.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Your doctor sounds like an unknowledgeable idiot, advising someone to eat that low, and to walk for an hour. I am hypothyroid and have never needed to go low on calories to maintain my weight or lose weight and I am significantly hypo. Get a second opinion, from someone trained in nutrition, as imo, anyone who advises a diet that low in calories knows nothing about nutrition and you would be doing yourself a disservice to follow that advice.
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    First off: get a second opinion AND see a nutritionist/dietitian. Use your gut to decide between what they are saying.

I have had hyperthyroid and am now low thyroid (not medicated as it would likely trigger me far the other way,apparently....) but anyway my point is this: they MAY be right (or not! that is awfully low...).

Second: TRACK RELIGIOUSLY HERE. After a few months of tracking your intake, exercise and weight change, you will be able to figure out your true metabolic rate. Your BMR won't take into consideration those thyroid issues, so work with the numbers YOU can have for yourself through proper tracking. I personally am GAINING weight on 1700-1800 calories so I am lowering my calories. I know that I will eventually have to give up more calories or burn way more (it's a tough choice lol) but at least I am basing it on my bodies REAL trends and not just someone else's opinions.

Whatever you do, do it under a competent doctor's notice so they know what you are up to. And get more than one opinion (and even source of opinion) when in doubt. Educating yourself never goes wrong =) Best wishes.
  • BethKMMA
    BethKMMA Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am a primary care doctor, and have followed research on weight loss for over 10 years due, in part, to my own struggles with weight.

As a rule, 800 calories a day is too little for most people. There are medically supervised diets that have only 800 calories, but also include monitoring of lab tests, etc. In addition, if you lose weight too quickly, you put yourself at risk for various medical conditions, such as gall stones.

I have never recommended 800 cal diet for any of my patients.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think the recommendation to walk every day is a good one, although to start with an hour probably isn't that realistic unless you're already in the habit.

But 800 calories? I would find another doctor.
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I recently had a not-so-pleasant experience with a doctor who I saw because I'm having some symptoms that seem thyroid related. Turns out I'm in the low end of normal for thyroid activity - so borderline hypothyroid. I'm 43, short and have gained weight after having 3 children. I probably need to lose about 30 pounds. The doctor told me that I need to be walking for an hour a day and consume no more than 800 calories! I know this was NOT a misunderstanding since he told me verbally and also wrote it down. I knew right when he said it, that seemed like a ridiculously low calorie count and now the more I read, the more it's shocking that a Dr. would recommend it to a patient. Has anyone else ever heard of such a low cal diet? I tried it at first to see how that would feel & was shaky & weak. No surpise. MFP says I should be at 1200 (as seems to be the case for many) but I am usually at 1400 since that's how I feel best, especially when exercising & my BMR is just over that. I'm only at the beginning of this journey & havent seen the scale move yet but would love to have some insight from those who are more experienced with such a lifestyle change. That recommendation from him made me question anything else he's told me.
    This is close to the recommended amount for someone who has had gastric bypass! Absolutley not healthy!! Especially if you are working out!! WOW!!! YOU SHOULD NEVER EAT BELOW YOUR BMR!!
    Please go to the group tab and search for the EMTWL..eat more to weigh less...group! Has worked wonders for so many of us!
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents. See a registered dietician. This is not because I think 800 cals is to low, it may or it may not be (the BMR calculations you find on the internet are for an "average" person not someone with your unique circumstances. But 800 is presumably a great cutback from what you have been eating in the past. An RD will be able to help create meal plans that give you the nutrients you need and hopefully help you over the mental obstacles that come with learning how to eat on a restricted diet. Like others have said it has been done, may not be right for you, but an RD will know better than others.

In the meantime. Eat loads of veggies. They are high in nutrients and low in calories. Self Nutrition ( http://nutritiondata.self.com/ ) is has a nutritional database that shows you the relationship between a foods fullness factor and its nutritional value. Foods in the upper right corner will help you feel full, not lethargic or shaky.
  • mariamarchita
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor about all your concerns - tell him how you feel crappy on such a low calorie diet, about your concerns that 800 cals is too low, etc. If he's dismissive or not helpful, I would get a 2nd opinion. Just my $.02
  • BabsPerl
    BabsPerl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree. Get a second opinion and see a nutritionist!!!! I am under the care of a nutritionist who has seen my food log (I printed it out for her from here). Even though I struggle to get past 800, she says I am healthy looking and my logs show I am eating healthy foods. I struggle for medical reasons...not anorexia. I must eat like a gastric by pass patient on a low fiber diet is all. I got the go ahead from my GI doctor to continue eating like this (as long as a nutritionist is following me). I have lost 7 lbs eating like this and now am considered to be underweight (that was not my goal) but I am not losing anymore now. A nutritionist is the way to go!
  • morenikeiheme
    Options
    I'm about to go on an 800calorie diet,im scared,but really excited to try it out. If your body dsnt like what its going through, stop. Thats what I'd do.
  • Thenameseriika
    Options
    just so you guys know, the whole "under 1200 calories your body is thrown into starvation mode" thing is completebull
    the actual MINIMUM CALORIE INTAKE IS 800 calories, its just enough calories for your body to work with, with no harmful side effect or halt in weight loss. it's anything UNDER that that does no good, so you're just as well off eating 30 calories as you are eating 600. there is literally no difference to your body. so 'starvation' is literally pointless, and does more harm than good.
    the trick is to use those calories wisely, make sure you're getting proper nutrients rather than just wasting them on empty calories which is what most people do anyway. the difference between an 800 calorie diet and a 1200? that extra 400 calories is complete fluff.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My roommate does 800 calories, and has to meet like 80grams of protein aday since her gastric bypass.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you're not confident in your doctors recommendation then I would get a second opinion.

^^^^THIS^^^^
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Please get a 2nd opinion.

True story, my great Aunt was told by her DOCTOR several decades ago to douche with LYSOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently it was SOP for doctors to do that once upon a tiime!

https://www.google.com/search?q=douche+with+lysol&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-nightly

Additionally, my grandmother was given SPEED for diet pills back in the day too! Mein gott!

There's all kinds of dr horror stories out there, like how my grandmother died, or my friend's gm died after an operation, etc.

Please see an RD if you have thyroid issues or if you can't afford one google THYROID DIET PLANS for advice. And please see another physician, don't tell #2 that you saw #1 either because they will tend to agree with each other.

Good luck.

Here's the direct google results for THYROID DIET PLANS
    https://www.google.com/search?q=thyroid+diet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-nightly
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're not confident in your doctors recommendation then I would get a second opinion.

This - but from another Doctor - not the internet.