Only Children ?

Options

Replies

• tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I didn't read anybody else's responses so I dont know if I am in the majority or not, but I am an only child. I would not trade it for the world. I think that children grow up well rounded/happy in both scenarios, siblings or not and the presence of actual siblings has little to do with it. As a child i wanted a sibling, begged for one, and even made up a story to my teachers that my parents were adopting a baby. At about age 12 I stopped wanting that, as a matter of fact at about 14 my parents discussed adopting a baby and i was against it entirely. I do not feel like i was let down in any way, i do not feel like I missed out on any bonds. I have very close friends that are like sisters to me, except i only have the good parts of them, not the fighting and sibling rivalry. I also have cousins that I am very close to.
    As an adult, some of the benefits I see are that my kids are the only grandchildren and my parents adore them (not that all grandparents dont, but there is no competition-there is no so and so kids got this, my kids got that). When it comes to holidays, its only me, our holidays are mellow, my parents are able to work with my schedule for other family meetings because its just me, its not well tara can come at this time but susy can only come at this time and bobby cant come at either time, there is no picking and choosing because its just me.
    Additionally, as an adult i have now experienced friends losing parents. While i know it will be hard for all decisions to lay on my shoulders, i also see the nastiness between siblings (again not all), about last wishes, funerals, caretaking when ill, and then "getting the goods" and I am thankful I will never have to deal with that, I have seen it happen in even the best closest families i know. But it wont happen to me.
    I did see a mention about being an uncle when i was skimming, my husband has a brother and i am newly an aunt, that baby is just as much my nephew as he is my husbands and both my brother in law and sister in law agree. The fact that i dont have "true" siblings doesnt change that, i have many dear clsoe friends that call me aunt as do my kids to them and i feel every bit as much an aunt to them as my husband does to his True nephew. I have more godchildren than anybody I know that has True siblings. to me that argument is irrelevant.
    anyway, jsut saying i love being an only child and i wouldnt trade it for the world.
    As a side note, i do have two children, however they are 8 years apart and will each have a significant portion of their childhood where they are raised as only children, my first from birth to age 8 and my second from 10 forward. I did that intentionally.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful for all the positive words you guys took the time to post, you really made my day! Thanks to all of you:flowerforyou:
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    I'm an only child. I'm 35, and am well adjusted. I grew up figuring out how to play and entertain myself on my own. Both my parents worked, and from the age of 9, I was a latchkey kid, and stayed by myself in the summertime. Teachers loved me because I read books constantly. I preferred to read books rather than interact with my peers, who, even at that time seemed very immature. I knew how to deal with other kids, knew how to share, knew all of that, but preferred (and still do) to be by myself. I'm autonomous and I like it that way. That's kind of they way I grew up. I got the benefit of figuring things out and and doing things on my own..I did not need adult input.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    My husband was the only child of divorced parents, and his dad moved out of state. His mom loved him but was very protective and controlling. I know he wishes he had had siblings since he couldn't go out often to play with friends and he had the full brunt of his mom's personality without a dad or other signifcant person to mitigate it.

Now...I had siblings, one of whom was an abusive bully. I spent a lot of my childhood locked in the bathroom reading or wandering alone in the woods around our home instead of hanging around with my family just to avoid the brother who beat me up and called me names. I would very much have liked to have been an only child!

As long as your child is happy and has friends, I think it's all good. There are tradeoffs to every kind of upbringing. All any of us can do is our best. Sounds like you are thinking of the best for your child; I'm sure he'll be fine!
  • Mandy_Jerseygirl
    Mandy_Jerseygirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm an only child, and also the mother of an only child. I'm intelligent, well adjusted, successful and never felt like I'd missed out on a thing being an only child. Our daughter (now 21 yrs old) is a senior in college, exceptionally bright (received a full four-year academic scholarship), and probably one of the most well adjusted kids I've ever met (of course I could be a bit biased on that hahaha).

My mother gave me plenty of love, attention and guidance, and I've done the same with my daughter. Whether you have 1 child or 20, I believe you get out what you put in! :)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm an only child, and also the mother of an only child. I'm intelligent, well adjusted, successful and never felt like I'd missed out on a thing being an only child.

My mother gave me plenty of love, attention and guidance, and I've done the same with my daughter. Whether you have 1 child or 20, I believe you get out what you put in! :)

I totally agree. I'm an only and my son (2.5) is and will remain an only. I loved it.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My significant other is an only child and he said he sometimes was lonely as a child and that he developed more selfish traits, my cousin (only child as well) has said that too before. That being said, like the second post stated, a lot of only children are more successful in life than children from large families. I think he'll be fine though.

I forgot to add, they say they both really enjoy being only children.
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I am a 30 year old woman, and an only child. I have to honestly say, that I wouldn't consider myself lonely, AT ALL! Actually, I feel extremely independent! I am single, and have no children. And I'm okay with that! I enjoy my 'me' time, and I know that if it's meant to happen - it will. I have learned to rely on myself a lot and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am also successful and well-adjusted. I'm a school psychologist. :)
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I am a 30 year old woman, and an only child. I have to honestly say, that I wouldn't consider myself lonely, AT ALL! Actually, I feel extremely independent! I am single, and have no children. And I'm okay with that! I enjoy my 'me' time, and I know that if it's meant to happen - it will. I have learned to rely on myself a lot and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am also successful and well-adjusted. I'm a school psychologist. :)

Can I also add that I have the BEST relationship with my parents?!? And I always did!! Never went through that teenage stage where I didn't want to be around my parents. I love and respect them more than ever the older I get! Not saying people that aren't only children don't respect and love their parents - please don't hear me wrong! But when you are an only child - you have a special bond with your parents and extended family :)
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I sort of am like an only child - because - there were 16 and 17 years between my sister and brother and myself.

The only "discouraging" thing I would say came when I got a bit older say - 15, to their 31 and 32 - was the fact that they could tell stories like, "You remember Joe Bob from back in the neighborhood?" "Ah yeah that crazy guy haha!" - they could kind of share laughs that I would know nothing about.

But otherwise, I grew up with my mom as my bff - she spent a lot of time with me because they were "grown" (or in the case with your only child) - so I already knew how to write my 1st and last name, my numbers 1-100, and my abcs - as well as recite them, before I even went to school.

I was just able to share "remember that crazy guy from the 'hood" stories with my bff's from the neighborhood :) --- and of course my mom :)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    My son is an only child, he was a sweet, bright, good natured, sharing, happy child and he is now a normal, well adjusted, hard working, intelligent, happy, young man, who has never given me a moments trouble. I am very very proud of him.:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 10 and has never wanted siblings. She is wise beyond her years and a very kind and well-adjusted person. I'm sure if I had had another child while she was young, she would still be the same wonderful girl she is now.

She'll have a half-sibling in July and I'm terrified of how it will be for her. More so because of her already detached father and stepmother, but that's a whole different story.
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think whether you miss out on having siblings depends on the effort of the parent. Do you keep them occupied, make sure they have friends their age to play with regularly, spend time with them, act like a kid yourself on occasion?
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm not only an only child, but my grandparents, aunts and uncles all died before I could meet them. I have no cousins either. My mother always felt terrible because she remembered having a huge family and thought I would be raised deprived of security and extra warmth. Holidays were so hard on her. My dad, being much older when he had me (40) had no living relatives either but was just happy as ever to have only me and my mom. I can never remember him wanting anything more than to keep us happy and safe.

Anywho, I too wanted siblings when I was young, but kinda just because everyone else had some. My parents and I traveled and were extremely close. I grew up very independent and very confident; it was easy for me to make friends because I grew up enjoying my own company that I saw no reason anybody else wouldn't either! I'd say it's made me introspective and added a lot of self-value. I am very happy to have grown up an only child and proud of the life I've lived and the choices I've made. I go where I want and do what I want without feeling like I have huge family obligations and because my parents were so much older when they had me, there was a lot in this generation I had to figure out on my own.

Interesting to note: I grew up in Los Angeles and got into the top magnet high school program in the state. Later I went to Pepperdine University. In high school more than half of my friends were only children and in college a little less than that. I had a lot of friends, too. Im not sure it's a coincidence that there are so many only children in career feilds that require independence and high levels of education.

My 2 cents. Your son is going to be great :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Not technically an only child, there's 12 years between myself and older sibling. With that said, I like being a "loner" and wonder if it came from being an "only child". I had no issue making friends, and played 3 sports but wasn't always big on hanging out in big groups all the time.

In college I liked my roommates and hanging out with them, but loved graduating before them, moving to my own apt and living alone. I'd still go out with them, but absolutely loved knowing I had my own personal place to go home to at the end of the night and after work.
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    As an only child, the only thing I miss is that when I am old, I will not have someone in my family to share it with. I do get envious of my friends who have siblings. They have a special bond that I do not have. Does it effect my life as an adult? Not really! The way I look at it is that it was my parents choice. Just like it was my choice not to have any kids of my own. Of course, somehow I ended up with two step boys. I had lots of friends growing up and was never lonely.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I had one sister and had a close bond most of the time. We had everything we needed and mostly everything we wanted.
    My husband is oldest of 4... His parents had a tough time and they never had much. All the boys went into the military because their life would be better. When he left home, he never visited for years...Now that he's 27 he's close to his family and sibs again.

I like having my sister because now i have a nephew and my daughter has a cousin and 2 aunts and 3 uncles.
    Yet she is 4...and we are not really looking into having any more children. I get the whole need a sibling and friend but my husband and I were young when we had her, and we are finally getting ahead and balanced. My husband is still active duty and he was in Iraq during my pregnany and birth of our daughter. I would HATE for that to happen with the 2nd one.

I think it's best to decide what the PARENTS can handle mentally, physically and financially. My daughter asks for a brother/sister alot..but we tell her that mommy and daddy want to give all our love to HER.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    As a mom of an only child, I hear all the time how lonely my son will be as he gets older. I am in a funk after reading some stupid post on a radio station's FaceBook page this morning. I would love to hear from any of you who are only children yourselves, and whether you feel you were lonely growing up. FYI, my son is 8 and has asked in the past for a sibling, but no longer does.

Do any of you who are only children have any words of support?

My wife was an only child and said she felt lonely until she met my siblings and then was happy she was an only child.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I am an only child (adopted) and I have no complaints...my parents wanted to adopt another child but after waiting for 4 yrs. decided they didn't want the age gap to be too big, so they decided to stick with just me! I have, as a result, been afforded the opportunity to experience a world of travel, languages, culture and so much more as a result. I don't think they could have financially been able to provide me with all that I have experienced if I had siblings. I don't feel like I missed much, I cherish friendships a lot more and am a very extroverted person as a result. I made friends wherever we went and that taught me a lot of social skills as an adult.

Don't stress and do what you feel is best for you and your family. Good luck!
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    As a mom of an only child, I hear all the time how lonely my son will be as he gets older. I am in a funk after reading some stupid post on a radio station's FaceBook page this morning. I would love to hear from any of you who are only children yourselves, and whether you feel you were lonely growing up. FYI, my son is 8 and has asked in the past for a sibling, but no longer does.

Do any of you who are only children have any words of support?

I, too, have an 8yr old who is and will be an only child. She has never asked for a sibling, and at times when we have mentioned it she STRONGLY STATES that she doesn't want a sibling. I'd say she's about as rounded of a person as one can be with the parents she was given ;) lol