Mice become Obese WITHOUT Consuming Any More Calories

Options
Here is a study that shows the complexity of obesity. These mice became OBESE WITHOUT consuming any more calories than control mice. They only ate at unnatural times.

There are at least four other studies like this demonstrating that you can fatten mice WITHOUT feeding them any more calories.

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2012/11/fitzgerald/

Replies

• in_this_generation
    in_this_generation Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sven. :smile:
  • SvenMagnusson
    Options
    You're most welcome. :smile:
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Sucks to be a mouse. No idea what an unnatural time is either.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    What is an unnatural time? I'm so confused...
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    There are at least four other studies like this demonstrating that you can fatten mice WITHOUT feeding them any more calories.

How many are there showing these same results in humans?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    So how about you enlighten us with your theory of how weight loss really works? I'd be very interested to hear the explanation.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I guess it\s a good thing no one on here is a mouse.

Mice and humans will not react the same when given the same circumstances.

Just because mice will gain weight eating at certain times doesn't mean humans will. Don't compare yourself to a mouse.
  • in_this_generation
    in_this_generation Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Many studies show that there is a correlation with obesity related disease and night eating and night shift workers. The mechanism is not really known in humans but scientists think it could be the same as what is observed in these mice.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    What?
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs eating all the way up til bed time (11pm - 12am). The difference is I watched my calories, no matter what time of day it was.

This is idiotic.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Many studies show that there is a correlation with obesity related disease and night eating and night shift workers. The mechanism is not really known in humans but scientists think it could be the same as what is observed in these mice.

This statement doesn't apply to everyone... a lot of people on night shift don't eat properly and therefore gain weight. It's how my mother gained all her weight. She was tired all the time from not getting enough sleep and didn't have the energy to cook so she ate crap foods for years. A lot of people do that. With being tired and strapped for time people don't always make the best choices and tend to exercise less.

While on night shift my mother ended up losing almost 100lbs. She made ways to get more sleep and get more exercise in as well as she prepared proper foods.. healthy foods. With an effort night shift workers can lose weight.

Just because you work the night shift doesn't mean you will gain weight.

Meal timing has no affect on weight loss/weight gain as long as the person makes proper choices.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I guess it\s a good thing no one on here is a mouse.

Mice and humans will not react the same when given the same circumstances.

Just because mice will gain weight eating at certain times doesn't mean humans will. Don't compare yourself to a mouse.

i am a mouse and i take great offense to your post.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Not all calories are created equal.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Crap, I start night shift in March.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Please do elaborate.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Please do elaborate.

Some taste better than others?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Good thing we have studies on humans showing that nocturnal eating habits aren't detrimental:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17909674
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mice don't go to the bathroom when they need to poo.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Could you please cite the studies? Now, I am going on anecdotal evidence here but I have had no problems making gains while working on the night shift.

Whoops SideSteel beat me to it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Please do elaborate.

Some taste better than others?

Oh. You mean wine, right?