Alternative to peanut butter

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Looking for a lower fat alternative to peanut butter for breakfast protein. Any suggestions?

Huh?

Peanut butter is not exactly a good source of protein. Why not have something protein rich. Eggs, lean meats, cottage cheese, protein powder. That sort of thing.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Also, try mixing chopped nuts, bananas, and olive oil together - it works really well for me!

Perfect for fat and carbs- almost no protein.
  • crdr94
    crdr94 Posts: 5
    Options
    Egg whites, almond butter
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, of course
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Nutella? I've never used it though so I'm not sure how many calories are in it.

High is sugar! If you make your own, you can increase the protein, and decrease the fat. Just blitz your desired quantity of nuts, drinking chocolate/cocoa and margarine in the kitchen whizz. Kids love it more than Nutella.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sugar free pumpkin butter. It is so good and only 5 calories a tablespoon. It is fat free too!:bigsmile:

Pumpkin butter is delicious, but not a protein source.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    A favourite of mine is avocado and tin tuna on whole grain toast.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Lite cream cheese on toast with fresh strawberries, or a little little bit of berry jam!
  • jodilo88
    Options
    I second PB2. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Looking for a lower fat alternative to peanut butter for breakfast protein. Any suggestions?

Just quoting the OP again because evidently most people missed that she is looking for PROTEIN.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    How about a protein shake?
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Does almond butter count?
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    How much peanut butter do you consume that you are worried about? Peanut butter is awesome! A tablespoon a day won't kill you. PB is high in protein but PB2 is not bad.
  • Michellelmt
    Michellelmt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    PB2...it's AMAZING!!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    6 ounce ribeye. Lower in fat higher in protein and tastes better.:smile:

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!
  • byeachmoment
    Options
    Whey protein is a great way to add protein to your diet. You can blend it into shakes, bake it in cookies, mix it in pancake batter. Eggs are also a good source of protein and you could use just the egg whites for lower fat if you'd like. You can also have Greek yogurt which is very high in protein and there are low fat options. There are also high protein cereals that you try, if you don't mind the carbs.
  • lindan70
    lindan70 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    PB2, is awesome, the also have chocolate PB2!
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound uninformed but, what is PB2? Is that a brand??
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound uninformed but, what is PB2? Is that a brand??
    It where they take a perfectly good peanut butter then suck the life out of it and call it diet food so people don't feel guilty eating peanut butter, or for the people that have fat phobia's. J/K.:wink:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How about peanut butter? It's the best substitute for peanut butter out there. It's healthy, filling and nutritious. The fat doesn't make you fat. As a matter of fact, it used to be a staple bodybuilding food for adding a ton of lean mass without getting fat.

I suggest you replace your peanut butter with regular old peanut butter. If you're tight on calories, I'd still rather skimp on something that I don't really need than replace something with the benefits and taste of peanut butter.