How much does your meat weigh?!

Options

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says weigh before cooking. I weight all of my meats while raw. I can put a plate on my scale and push a button and it goes to zero again. then I put the meat on the plate. Its called the "tare" button.

I do the same thing. It helps keep the scale, and your food cleaner from bacteria as the scale would be hard to wash.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i have been asked how long it is but never what does it wiegh!! LMAO.........I just KILL myself sometimes!!! HAHAHA

I see what you did there....LOL
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Heh. *trying to keep a straight face*

Ok. Now that the urge to troll has passed i can answer.

I had this feeling too.. heheh

If you buy prepacked foods (say a box of seasoned chicken from Wally World), go by the info on the label. If you are unsure whether a piece of chicken is the serving size, just weigh it out. My issue is the seasonings, I'm crazy sensitive to sodium, my fingers and toes swell up before bed and in the morning if I have too much salt. Many people aren't bothered by sodium, and if you're one who isn't, have at 'er!

I always weigh my meats cooked, but I usually have 3oz per serving (fresh chicken, I give myself an extra ounce, well, because it's chicken!!)
  • 1Fizzle
    Options
    I was always told to weigh it after you cook it....now I don't know.

I wondered this also, because the meat shrivels up after its prepared.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME TROLL THIS POST?
  • 1Fizzle
    Options
    I weigh everything and use the nutritional value that I find on MFP. This is the scale we have and I really like it. http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1358603009&sr=1-13

Tha

This looks cool...thanks for sharing.
  • 1Fizzle
    Options

ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE ME TROLL THIS POST?

What'd I do...LOL
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    if-you-know-what-i-mean.png
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's very different. Yes, measuring is the second most important thing in weight loss after logging.

Meat is easy to be accurate on, because when you buy it it is labeled on the package. Then you can just divide up your portions for an accurate weight.

Google portion size guide and click on images (http://www.google.com/search?q=portion+size+guide&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=S6n6UPHpH-O_0AGOqIGADg&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=713)

You'll get visual pictures of portion sizes for when you can't weigh. You can stick it in your pocket.
  • JlenniferL
    JlenniferL Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale and weigh out our cooked meats. If it under the required weight amount then add another veggie.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Thanks Susan..No, I was just talking about some frozen chicken breast from anywhere, and really any type of food that's typically measured..is grams the standard for measuring?

Yes all macro and micro nutrients are per gram for solid foods, nutrition and dietetics are scientific disciplines. Cups are a convenience tool, they aren't used in many countries and they aren't used in pharmacies or laboratories AFAIK.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I weigh meat raw and use the USDA raw values. I think the water content is more consistent in raw meat than in cooked.
    If anything, you over estimate the calories this way. I'd rather do that than under estimate when I'm trying to lose.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've weighed both before, and after. I believe 4 oz of raw chicken came out to about 3 oz of cooked chicken. If you check the MFP database, I think 4 oz of grilled chicken comes out at a higher calorie count than what you get with the raw numbers.
  • 1Fizzle
    Options
    Yes, it's very different. Yes, measuring is the second most important thing in weight loss after logging.

Meat is easy to be accurate on, because when you buy it it is labeled on the package. Then you can just divide up your portions for an accurate weight.

Google portion size guide and click on images (http://www.google.com/search?q=portion+size+guide&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=S6n6UPHpH-O_0AGOqIGADg&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=713)

You'll get visual pictures of portion sizes for when you can't weigh. You can stick it in your pocket.

^^^^This helps a lot!! Great info.
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options

When using the database there are options for raw and cooked, so just make sure you are using the one for method you are using.

Also sometimes I will weigh something and picked the wrong one on how it is listed in the database. 1 oz equals 28 grams (actually 28.349) so you can convert it to meet the database listing.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    if-you-know-what-i-mean.png

Sorry to commit the cardinal sin of "pic quoting" but I laughed so hard at this I just had to...

Also, very good info in the comments. I didn't know you should measure before cooking. I would think after also since it could vary in size after cooking. Does anyone know WHY you should weigh before as opposed to after?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Also, very good info in the comments. I didn't know you should measure before cooking. I would think after also since it could vary in size after cooking. Does anyone know WHY you should weigh before as opposed to after?
    The reason I weigh raw is because "cooked" can mean different things to different people. You know, shoe leather or bloody as hell. The water content of your cooking may be different than the one listed...raw is raw.
    The USDA db has raw values so I think that is more consistant in water/calorie content.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    The title of his thread is highly misleading and I am thoroughly disappointed by the lack of humorous replies about meat size from the guys. ;-))
  • 1Fizzle
    Options
    I've weighed both before, and after. I believe 4 oz of raw chicken came out to about 3 oz of cooked chicken. If you check the MFP database, I think 4 oz of grilled chicken comes out at a higher calorie count than what you get with the raw numbers.
    This makes sense also. Is there anything you guys weigh besides meat? I know measuring cups can cover quite a bit, but I saw one person say condiments, I never thought of that.
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This makes sense also. Is there anything you guys weigh besides meat? I know measuring cups can cover quite a bit, but I saw one person say condiments, I never thought of that.

Everything besides liquids.