Mice become Obese WITHOUT Consuming Any More Calories

Options

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think it's a very interesting piece of research, and thank you to everyone on this thread who has made it easier to grasp for me. It is fascinating how one tweaked gene changed so much, and how replacing the fats in their diet reversed the effect (correct me if I've misunderstood this).

As for repeating the experiment in humans, obviously we're not about to genetically modify an unborn child, but it would be interesting to know what effects there are if this, or a similar gene, is abnormal in a human.
  • tabbyavalon
    Options
    the mice in these studies are usually looking at epigenetic variation, its about the switching on and off of your genes really something not to worry about
  • missability
    Options
    AMEN!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    what is an unnatural time for a mouse? I'm hungry, I'm gonna nom on something!

Mice, like rats, are primarily nocturnal. So a mouse will naturally eat at night and sleep during the day. The study states that the mice with messed up internal clocks ate during the day, when they should have been sleeping. So there really is an unnatural time for a mouse to eat.
    We metabolize differently

How? Can you give some concrete examples?
    Humans cannot make vitamin C.
    Mice can.
    :tongue:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Oh wait... the mice that ate at night couldn't possibly have been as active as the control mice...

Because mice aren't NOCTURNAL.

You didn't even link to the study itself. The media love to grab on to sensational little tidbits like this and hand-pick what they want to publish about it. They know the headline will get you to read it. Who cares how legitimate the study is?

I agree... Mice aren't nocturnal. If you wake them up to eat, they will likely be less active during the day because they are tired. I worked night shifts for years and it didn't cause me to gain weight. I actually lost a bit (not a lot - about 10lbs) after I started because when I got off at 7am after a 12 hour night shift, I was too tired to cook my "dinner" and would grab whatever was fast (usually a sandwich instead of a big meal - so less calories). I tended to eat very unhealthy during that time. "Lunch" was usually chips and a soda from the vending machine. I didn't eat "breakfast" before going to work at 7pm because I was trying to get stuff done (feed kids, kids homework, dishes, laundry, etc, etc). Sometimes I would pick at whatever I had cooked for the kids, but deffinately not a true meal.

I still don't eat anything until late afternoon (never been a breakfast person) and always have a "bedtime snack" while watching tv in the evening. So in my personal experience, the time I eat has no effect on my weight loss. For me it's all about how many calories I eat vs what I burn.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    That is why they say that you should not eat after 6pm unless you are going to exercise.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If Dr. Jeffrey Friedman is anything like Dr. Oz I would stay away!
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That is why they say that you should not eat after 6pm unless you are going to exercise.

No way... I eat at 10pm most nights then go right to bed! This is just not correct.
  • SvenMagnusson
    Options
    The BODY controls energy balance, not us. We have very limited ability to affect our body weight, especially over the long term. Body weight is overwhelmingly INVOLUNTARILY regulated by neural circuitry.

The BODY fights back. Dr. Liebel has shwon the metabolic consequences to weight loss includes a 25 % DROP in metabolism- far gretaer than what would normally be expected from weight loss itself.

Lastly, stop invoking scientific laws. The laws of thermodynamics do NOT explain how mammalian fact cells are regulatedl. Science does not at all understand the chemical behavior of fat cells receptors.

They EXPLAIN NOTHING about obesity. The question is NOT if they apply, it is IF WE CAN INFER from these laws the behavior of mammalian fat cells- which we cannot.

Learn the SCOP OF APPLICABILITY of various laws.

Realize that BOTH theories and laws could be shown to be wrong at some tinme if there are data to suggest so.There is NO HERIARCHY WHATSOEVER between theories and laws in science.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The BODY controls energy balance, not us. We have very limited ability to affect our body weight, especially over the long term. Body weight is overwhelmingly INVOLUNTARILY regulated by neural circuitry.

The BODY fights back. Dr. Liebel has shwon the metabolic consequences to weight loss includes a 25 % DROP in metabolism- far gretaer than what would normally be expected from weight loss itself.

Lastly, stop invoking scientific laws. The laws of thermodynamics do NOT explain how mammalian fact cells are regulated, you fool. Science does not at all understand the chemical behavior of fat cells receptors.

They EXPLAIN NOTHING about obesity. The question is NOT if they apply, it is IF WE CAN INFER from these laws the behavior of mammalian fat cells- which we cannot.

Learn the SCOP OF APPLICABILITY of various laws.

Realize that BOTH theories and laws could be shown to be wrong at some tinme if there are data to suggest so.There is NO HERIARCHY WHATSOEVER between theories and laws in science.

Funny, my body weight went up when I moved less and ate more and went down when I moved more and ate less....I must be a wizard!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You're not too bright. You idiots on here are just pissed because my study( and 4 more) REFUTE the calories in/calories out DOGMA. The claoric hypothesis BY ITSELF IS FAR TOO SIMPLISTIC to explain obesity.

IT IS FAR MORE COMPLEX THAN THAT.

AGAIN, ALL OF YOU WEE RUDE FIST.

It does not refute the calories out dogma at all. And what are you? 12? The 'you did it first' is such a reasonable debating skill to have. Also, no-one called you a moron or an idiot, so your logic is off.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Who's "they"?

I'd love to see any peer-reviewed scientific studies which correlate weight gain with eating after a certain time. Otherwise, I'll stick with the contention that it's an old wives' tale which has been scientifically disproven many times.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Please keep the following rules in mind when responding to any post in the forums.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Thank You,
    Arewethereyet MFP Moderator
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    So how about you enlighten us with your theory of how weight loss really works? I'd be very interested to hear the explanation.

QFT
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs eating all the way up til bed time (11pm - 12am). The difference is I watched my calories, no matter what time of day it was.

This is idiotic.

this.. times 10
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Here is a study that shows the complexity of obesity. These mice became OBESE WITHOUT consuming any more calories than control mice. They only ate at unnatural times.

There are at least four other studies like this demonstrating that you can fatten mice WITHOUT feeding them any more calories.

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2012/11/fitzgerald/

Phew!! It's a really good thing I am not a mouse. Thank goodness.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    When OP posted over here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/749701-95-of-people-who-lose-weight-put-it-back-on-why that we can't change our inherited body weight by more than 8 lbs, I decided any other topics posted by them would be pretty useless.

Oh snap! This!
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Wait, Are you saying that obesity is caused by eating whatever you want at the wrong time? Hmmmm
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Who's "they"?

I'd love to see any peer-reviewed scientific studies which correlate weight gain with eating after a certain time. Otherwise, I'll stick with the contention that it's an old wives' tale which has been scientifically disproven many times.

READ SCIENCEDAILY. THERE IS PLENTY OF RESEARCH SHOWING THE TIME AT WHICH YOU EAT MATTERS. YOU REFUSE TO ACCEPT IT.

Please cite it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Who's "they"?

READ SCIENCEDAILY, YOU BAFOON. THERE IS PLENTY OF RESEARCH SHOWING THE TIME AT WHICH YOU EAT MATTERS. YOU REFUSE TO ACCEPT IT.

Please cite it.

Also, please do not send me PMs calling me an idiot, a bimbo or an *kitten*.