Am I crazy? MFP & stopping smoking?

Options

Replies

• leaffan12
    leaffan12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump (will read later) interesting topic for me as I would like to do the same.
  • ajwolters
    Options
    I tried to do both, but started smoking again. I decided to get the diet under control first, and then go back to my e-cigs to quit smoking. I might be ready to try again in a few weeks. This week I succeeded in getting off coffee and sugar/sweeteners. Once I'm used to that, and keep eating good foods, I think the quitting smoking will come easier.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    No you're not crazy - I quit a while ago, but you do need something to replace the ciggies - however good luck with it - I find that keeping your hands busy helps, but stay away from the refrigerator!
    You'll make it - everyone onsite is rooting for you!!
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I think it can work. Might even be the best thing you do, because monitoring your calories can prevent you from -putting- on weight when you quit. That said, if you feel that you will struggle, focus on smoking first. It's a. a quicker fix, and b. more important, imo. Once you've got that down pat, mfp will still be here.

this! you can do it! you are strong! you are awesome! you are capable! and you are worthy the time and struggle!
  • Kellbellftw
    Kellbellftw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck on your journey. I am officially cigarette free for a little over a year. I've quit many times in the past, but I only did it because I felt I should not because I wanted to. 6 months clean here, 2 months there. Then, I woke up one day and the firs thing I thought is I WANT TO QUIT SMOKING. I threw the last of my cigarettes away and never looked back. It's all a mental thing, much like a diet, you have to be strong willed and patient. Sure, I had cravings (cold turkey probably didn't help) but I just learned to resist them. Now, I look at cigarettes as such vile, stinky, money wasting things that make me sick to my stomach and give me headaches.
  • ObiRenKenobi
    Options
    I decided to get healthy.. Joined a gym, joined MFP, and last month I quit smoking.. I feel so much better!
  • WelshMaid
    Options
    I did both this year on Jan 8th.I've lost a pound and had around 5 cigarettes.Not exactly perfect but heading in the right direction.Good luck x
  • ejay90
    ejay90 Posts: 42
    Options
    I've been using e cigarettes.... they are really good... i tend to eat if i want a cig... so its a good change and they go down in strength... 5 of my friends have quit with these... also keep yourself busy as not to think about smoking or eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! I'm not technologically-gifted, so bear with me! I just downloaded My Fitness Pal to my smartphone & will start using it tomorrow to help me reach my goal of losing 42 lbs.! I'm excited & think the accountability will be a good thing! I also want to stop smoking. I smoke about ten cigarettes a day. I'm really tired of feeling unhealthy, but maybe trying to do both of those things at once isn't a good idea. Any thoughts? Best wishes to all!

Check out my profile...add me if you like. I quit smoking on Sept 25, 2012; I was a 2 PAD smoker. I started watching my diet in late October and found MFP after Thanksgiving. I'm still smoke free and have lost 16 pounds overall since October 28th and 11 since joining MFP. It can be done.
  • katiecairns125
    katiecairns125 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Speaking as an ex smoker who put on a ton of weight and still trying to lose it 3 years later, i think doing both together is a great idea! Dont put too much pressure on yourself though. Giving up is enough of a challenge. Good luck :-)
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's too much. That's a lot of stress to put on yourself. I quit smoking 30 years ago cold turkey and it's hard. If you can do it, you're my hero! For your oral fix - I suggest always having a bowl of air-popped popcorn next to you. If you decide to do one at a time, do the diet first because smoking may actually help you out. Nicotine burns calories I understand. If you quit smoking first, you'll probably gain weight back when you quit. It's really a catch-22.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I've been using e cigarettes.... they are really good... i tend to eat if i want a cig... so its a good change and they go down in strength... 5 of my friends have quit with these... also keep yourself busy as not to think about smoking or eating.

This too...I also use an e-cig; harm reduction is excellent.
  • lizjjam
    lizjjam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi. I´m probably going to booed off stage here but I am in a similar position.

I have been trying to quit smoking for around 9 years now. I quit at the beginning of this year for :( 5 days.

I´d been counting calories and exercising lightly since August and I thought that getting a good head start on the weight loss before quitting. Which I did, then within 3 days of quitting, all the weight came back on. Seriously upsetting when you´re already fragile.

I am planning to quit on 5th Feb but this time with patches because I am unbearable and people around me do not deserve that. I would prefer to do it cold turkey as that seems to work better in the long run but I teach and I can´t lose my rag with the kids.

You might find it easier to cut down first and start exercising (if you don´t already) I noticed that cardio is really painful and it makes you think twice before lighting up for a good while after a workout. That´s what I´m doing. Forcing myself to experience the pain in my chest and lungs whilst exercising is really helping to see the damage and giving me more motivation to quit.

If you feel you can do it all in one go then kudos for you!!
  • caroljanel
    caroljanel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! It's not easy but so worth it! I smoked 23 years and have been free of the habit for almost 2 years. Keep sugar free gum and Candy with you it helps.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a year and a half ago, i put on some weight then i worked on my weight loss thing
  • adaisyandarose
    Options
    I quit recently cold turkey well with the help of a book called The Easyway to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr (Look around if you are interested you can find free ebooks of the floating around the net. I highly recommend it. I literally do not have cravings or withdrawl symptoms and I was a pack a day smoker.)

I am going on 2 weeks smoke free, doing great. I do have to admit that my weight loss has slowed down a bit but that could be normal as well. I am finding that I can exercise more easily now since I stopped smoking.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are crazy.

What is wrong with crazy?
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's crazy. I did it. Once you start feeling good again, which will take a little while, you will be amazed at awful bad eating habbits and smoking make you feel. Just have a plan for those times when you have stress like meditation, working out, etc. Go easy on yourself if you overeat a little. Get right back on track the next meal. You can do it. It's worth it!!!
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    YOUR inner self is telling you its time for a complete overall so TRUST YOURSELF. You can do it!! Perhaps in addition to MFP support, you can join a quit smoking support group. Anytime you're giving up an addiction - let alone two of them - the feelings you've been shutting down with the addictions are going to come up and demand your attention. So have lots of support (maybe even counselling?) in place to get a handle on it.

You can do it!

Best wishes!
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    About in the same boat as several others here. I'm in the process of quitting smoking, and have made some tremendous strides in that direction. I don't dare go cold turkey because my nic fits are ugly (with a capital U) even though they don't typically last that long. The longest I've made it without any type of nicotine is about 1 day before someone around me threatened to force feed me some type of nicotine.

I've been serious with MFP for a little over 4 months, and have made some good gains in getting to my goal, and I'm back to adding the smoking cessation back into the mix. Using e-cigs to keep the fits to a minimum, and so far it is working. From at least a half pack a day, I'm down to a maximum of 4 (and an average of 2.5), and haven't BOUGHT a pack in over a week. But, as I live with a smoker, it is too easy to "bum" a few from them.

That said, however, the DESIRE for "real" cigarettes is dying off, and I'm even easing off of the e-cig as I become healthier. I don't have the push of exercise to help with the motivation yet, but that is on the way. One thing at a time, and one baby achievement at a time.

Good luck with your journey in loosing the weight AND the cigs.