skipping breakfast

Options

Replies

• kculpepper07
    Options
    I usually do not eat breakfast either but I drink a EAS AdvantEDGE carb controling chocolate fudge drink. It gets protein in my system.
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    Do what's right for you. If you are hungry - eat. If you are not hungry - don't eat. Appetites and habits wax and wane. You are very focussed on fulfilling your New Year resolution to lose weight and this may have inhibited your desire to eat at the moment. This might change in a few weeks. Good luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Skipping breakfast is a No No! It kick starts your metabolism and let's your brain know your body's ready for action.
    Try and eat carbs at the end of the working day as this tells your body it's time to slow down and rest.
    This was what I was told by a nutritionist.
    I hope this helps????

I would question the nutritionists qualifications if they told you it kick starts your metabolism.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Just EAT.

Edit to say: Don't worry about the time. Even if it's something small throughout the day. You should be worried about upping your total intake than worrying about the timing of your intake.

^^this
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I used to skip breakfast and was able to function just fine. But then I started working out in the mornings and my body was telling me that it needed food so....hold onto your hats....I started eating breakfast.

Do whatever works.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You can skip breakfast. It does not jump start anything contrary to the often spread rumors.
    As long as you feel and function fine, AND as long as your end of day nutritional needs are being met, then do whatever you enjoy as far as meal timing.

Agree

I hardly ever eat breakfast, I'm just not hungry until lunch most days.
  • AinE_75
    AinE_75 Posts: 38
    Options
    Wow, I did not expect so many replies, thank you all! It looks like there is no right answer - you guys split pretty much half and half. The reason I am asking is that I usually ate breakfast and never lacked appetite. I thought that once I start exercising the appetite will grow, but what I see is opposite. And I am not just walking on the treadmill reading a magazine, I work hard - running, weightlifting and going to cardio classes with my heart rate about 150-160 per minute.
    My food has always been healthy - I am allergic to corn (and corn syrup) and I cook everything myself, eat a lot of vegetables, meat and fish, kefir and yogurt, eggs, some grains. Make crepes often and cookies sometimes. Bake my own rye bread. I just started to eat much less than before and not sure if I should boost my calories or wait till my appetite comes back... For example yesterday I had no breakfast. Had to have lunch with colleagues - we went to bagel place and I got a bagel with turkey, cheese and veggies. Dry, toasted, no cream-cheese or mayo. Ate everything but the bagel itself and drank tea (500 cal?). 5 pm - run 5 miles. 7pm - cook for the whole family and smells wake up my appetite. 8pm - Had some kofta with fresh vegetables, much less than usual, (500 cal) and feel sooo full...
    I drink a lot of water and tea. Hate soda, like vegetable juice, but do not drink it often. Last week I bought a bottle of wine and some cheese that I like a lot and it's still unopened... I suspect I do not get all the nutrients I need, but feel good, active, not tired in the mornings, sometimes sore though... My work requires a lot of focus, concentration and thinking (i am a professor) and I do not notice any difference.
    Would you wait for your appetite to self-regulate? Or try to eat more?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Yer, I dunno. The science may suggest breakfast doesn't matter, and it might not. I just know from personal experience that the less I eat (period) the less I want to eat. I think you're not eating enough, 1000 cals is literally for the birds.

I find that the less I eat the less I tend to eat over the course of the day, which is a good thing. When I eat breakfast and many small meals or snacks, per the old conventional wisdom, I'm likely to overeat.

I do like to have a cup of coffee in the morning, but I don't eat breakfast.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    To the OP: A sudden, dramatic, lack of appetite could indicate illness. See a doctor if you are concerned. But now you know that many healthy people skip breakfast. Do what works, so long as you get adequate nutrients.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go slightly against the grain here and suggest the OP should eat breakfast. Not because of any of the metabolism kickstart theories but because she's clearly not eating enough. Easiest way to eat more is to add another meal.

I can skip breakfast because eating 2000 cals in one sitting is easy for me. But if the OP can only muster up the will to eat 500 cals per meal, then she needs to add a third meal. That's just basic math. Time of day that she eats it doesn't matter, but she seems to have space in the morning so I'd do it there.
    Excellent suggestion for a very valid reason, given the OP's situation. Not because of some disproven myth about meal/nutrient timing, but because she could use the calories and apparently has a hard time getting them into her day.
  • AinE_75
    Options
    In normal circumstances I'd agree it might be a sign of illness. However it clearly started when I started to exercise - I do not think it's a coincidence.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Wow, I did not expect so many replies, thank you all! It looks like there is no right answer - you guys split pretty much half and half. The reason I am asking is that I usually ate breakfast and never lacked appetite. I thought that once I start exercising the appetite will grow, but what I see is opposite. And I am not just walking on the treadmill reading a magazine, I work hard - running, weightlifting and going to cardio classes with my heart rate about 150-160 per minute.
    My food has always been healthy - I am allergic to corn (and corn syrup) and I cook everything myself, eat a lot of vegetables, meat and fish, kefir and yogurt, eggs, some grains. Make crepes often and cookies sometimes. Bake my own rye bread. I just started to eat much less than before and not sure if I should boost my calories or wait till my appetite comes back... For example yesterday I had no breakfast. Had to have lunch with colleagues - we went to bagel place and I got a bagel with turkey, cheese and veggies. Dry, toasted, no cream-cheese or mayo. Ate everything but the bagel itself and drank tea (500 cal?). 5 pm - run 5 miles. 7pm - cook for the whole family and smells wake up my appetite. 8pm - Had some kofta with fresh vegetables, much less than usual, (500 cal) and feel sooo full...
    I drink a lot of water and tea. Hate soda, like vegetable juice, but do not drink it often. Last week I bought a bottle of wine and some cheese that I like a lot and it's still unopened... I suspect I do not get all the nutrients I need, but feel good, active, not tired in the mornings, sometimes sore though... My work requires a lot of focus, concentration and thinking (i am a professor) and I do not notice any difference.
    Would you wait for your appetite to self-regulate? Or try to eat more?

Hormones get messed up while at a deficit so your appetite will probably self regulate - so be less, not more. Exercise can be an appetite suppressant. I would just try to fit more calories in during the day as you exercise in the evening. Don't skip the cream cheese on that bagel next time, and eat the bagel. Maybe replace some of your water and tea for a beverage with calories. Start drinking more vegetable juice as you like it, or have a glass of milk. Carry some grab bags of nuts and seeds or trail mix.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You can skip breakfast. It does not jump start anything contrary to the often spread rumors.
    As long as you feel and function fine, AND as long as your end of day nutritional needs are being met, then do whatever you enjoy as far as meal timing.

this.

the only danger with skipping breakfast is that in some people it can make you crave salty/fattty/sugary foods by lunch time, which tend to be higher in calories. If you don't suffer with this, then do what your body feels is right :) if you want to up your cals without forcing yourself, try something like a protein shake or even just glasses of milk
  • Izabera
    Izabera Posts: 28
    Options
    Lets say your last meal of the day is 7 pm then you eat again at 1 pm the following day do the maths, not healthy in my opinion - )
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If you don't have breakfast, you do not wake up your metabolism. This means that you will store whatever you eat later and feel moody because your blood sugar will be too low.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you don't have breakfast, you do not wake up your metabolism. This means that you will store whatever you eat later and feel moody because your blood sugar will be too low.
    No.
  • AinE_75
    Options
    I am not moody. I feel just fine and work as usual.
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I seldom eat bkfst. If I do, it's a piece of toast or something at 10 a.m. ish . If I eat a good bkfst at bkfst time I am 10X hungrier at lunch and have funny blood sugar all day. That jump start your day stuff is hooey. Glad someone else posted they think it is too. Good nutrition is the real key here. Don't force it. My 2 cents.

Same with me , when i eat in the morning, i want to eat all day, and so hungry..
  • SophinMaine
    SophinMaine Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I find that the less I eat the less I tend to eat over the course of the day, which is a good thing. When I eat breakfast and many small meals or snacks, per the old conventional wisdom, I'm likely to overeat.

I do like to have a cup of coffee in the morning, but I don't eat breakfast.

Same here. I get up at 6 and have a a couple (small) cups of coffee, and I'm good 'til lunch time. Sometimes I bring a yogurt or a fruit to work and eat that around 10 am if I'm hungry.
    The only time I can eat some kind of breakfast is when I'm on vacation and fairly active during the day, but then by noon I am STARVING and much more likely to eat a lot more.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    No.

Yes to the no.