Want to run my first 5 K

Options
2»

Replies

• pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I am not going to repeat the obvious choice of C25K but I will add - find a local running club too. The best motivation is company!
  • devastation77
    Options
    2. Before you start c25k, go to a local running store (not a big box sporting goods store but a specialty running store) and get fitted for shoes. If you don't, you risk injury.

This this this!
  • amymina
    amymina Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of the responses! I actually already get fitted for shoes at a speciality shoe due to problems with my feet, and just had them done as well as inserts replaced a few months ago! About to to look for the couch to 5k program on my iPhone:-) my husband and 12 yr old said they would like to run it with me, and I have about 3.5 months, going to start my next time at the gym. Thanks guys!
  • devastation77
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of the responses! I actually already get fitted for shoes at a speciality shoe due to problems with my feet, and just had them done as well as inserts replaced a few months ago! About to to look for the couch to 5k program on my iPhone:-) my husband and 12 yr old said they would like to run it with me, and I have about 3.5 months, going to start my next time at the gym. Thanks guys!

Tear it up Amy!
  • devastation77
    Options
    I was fitted for running shoes before starting c25k. Best thing. The sales guy recommended some socks to prevent blisters etc....so I picked those up as well. I keep those runners and socks only for running. Never had a problem. I added hat and sunnies as time went by. Now I'm thinking about an armband for my phone but I don't think I'd like the feel of it.

I think I may do the same with my phone, for use of the running app. I think the arm band would be something you would just get used to. Some of the materials they use are pretty good for not irritating your skin when you sweat a lot.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What do umean when u say running? I would reallyyyyyyyy love to run. Right now I go an average of 6.4kmp, am not running but jogging, am hoping to up my speed to a run soon but does it matter. I did 4.74km in 44.23mins, is that good enough?
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I flunked out on C25K because I got bored. There is now a 5k trainer with a story line. If you like The Walking Dead, try Zombies, RUN! 5k trainer by Six to Start. It cost like $4 but is TOTALLY worth it! It sets the scene in a zombie infested post-apocalyptic township of Abel, where you are Runner 5, training to collect supplies and carry information.

I hated having to take rest days! I couldn't wait to hear more of the story! I graduate Tuesday. I will be doing the full 5k for the first time.

Good luck and have fun!
  • katykatyg
    katykatyg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
  • amymina
    amymina Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    OMG - love the idea of the zombies run - maybe I will try that next, just want to make sure that I can start something and stick to it! did the first two days of the couch to 5k, and honestly, running is more like jogging or most people, but it is faster than I am normally able to move and I am oober proud of myself! Thanks for all of the tips guys!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! Find what works best for you. Some people prefer a group situation.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25K. If you stall on a day, it's ok to repeat it. It took my buddy and I at least two tries to get past Week 5, Day 3. We finally did it though and Week 6 was a breeze. :)

Some devices will let you listen to your music and use the C25K app at the same time.
  • Yep, C25K is the program recommended to me and helped me to run 5k without stopping! I am still pretty slow but I can run all three miles of it without stopping =D