Fit Smokers?

Options

Replies

• mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this thread has now devolved into snarky crap. I was actually interested in reading people's answers, since I was pretty sure I am not the only runner around who is still working on quitting smoking.

The original poster, in asking for certain types of people to respond, was trying to avoid all the captain obvious types who just can't seem to resist acting like they have some fantastic new medical revelation to share.....that there are no health benefits to smoking. Well damn. Don't know what I would've done without that knowledge, thank you.........
  • mortyfit
    Options
    I smoke hookah about once every 2 months or so. Sometimes I feel winded the next day, sometimes not. My friend said hookah is equivalent to 50 cigarettes. I dunno, I should probably not do it anymore.
    [/quote

I have a hookah--some brands have much lower content of the nasty stuff than cigarettes do, but they're hard to locate so I haven't used mine as anything but a decoration in quite awhile.
  • mortyfit
    Options
    As a smoker of 30+ years, I do agree that you can be fitter than alot of non-smokers, especially if you train more than them. I do, however, believe that over the years the smoking does catch up on you. I have returned to weight training after an absence of 15yrs, and find my chest / lungs burn like hell when seriously stressed on those last couple of reps. Something that never used to happen when I was younger. This may just be an age thing anyway ... but in my mind I'm convinced its the smokes. Of course I would prefer to be a non-smoker, but after so many attempts over the years, I've given up giving up! lol. So I will continue to smoke and pump (not at same time, you understand) and just have to work that bit harder to overcome the poison I'm inhaling. One day I will stub out my last ciggie ... who knows ... I might even still be alive afterwards! ;o)
    I am a couple of years older than you and I can say it is the smokes. When I started back up running while still smoking it hurt and was nearly impossible. The discomfort went away quickly when I quit smoking.

I smoked on and off from 14 to 51. I quit a few times, several for a year or more, but always restarted. This time I quit using an ecig and was able to stop immediately and have stayed quit for over 2 years. You still get the nicotine without all the other bad stuff. Google "Volcano ecig" if interested.

Now THIS is an actual useful post. Thanks guys!
  • SCsexy1
    SCsexy1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am generally fit, exercise a few times a week, but I do smoke about 1/2 pack-1 pack a day and lately I have noticed that it has made me more short of breath from less activity. I have been smoking for about 14 years now.
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump for later :smokin: :laugh:

:heart: this thread
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My husband is former Army, and had a drill instructor that would chain smoke, including while on 10 mile runs. I suppose it's possible to condition yourself to be fit and be a smoker, but that doesn't make it healthy.

:sick: Woah! Drill instructor sounds like a hardass!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My husband is former Army, and had a drill instructor that would chain smoke, including while on 10 mile runs. I suppose it's possible to condition yourself to be fit and be a smoker, but that doesn't make it healthy.

:sick: Woah! Drill instructor sounds like a hardass!

I remember being in the military, after our runs I would do my traditional "I'll never smoke again" speech, but fire up about 10 minutes later.
    :laugh:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I feel this topic defines the difference between fitness and health.

You can be fit and smoke but in the long run, you can't be healthy.
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    I used to smoke up to 40 a day - I was running then and didn't feel that it impeded my performance at all - until I quit... All I can say is what a revelation! After I had been quit for a couple of weeks I realised that I was breathing so much deeper than before and finding it so much easier. All I can compare it to is that my lungs suddenly were filling fully, whereas before I'd been working with them only able to fill halfway (I know that's not a biological fact - that's what it FELT like)

I think its perfectly possible to be fit and smoke - I was on my feet all day, much slimmer and more toned than I am now, I could run a few miles, swim for hours, lift weights, run around after kids, you name it. The difference is that now it feels much easier to do, I'm not so tired, I'm breathing deeper, it feels like having lost a couple of stone. The irony is that I put on a couple of stone lol! I'm still trying to get rid of it again :-) I'd still FAR prefer to be non-smoking though, simply because of my lung capacity and my skin is so different too. Fit yes, healthy, maybe not so much!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    As a smoker of 30+ years, I do agree that you can be fitter than alot of non-smokers, especially if you train more than them. I do, however, believe that over the years the smoking does catch up on you. I have returned to weight training after an absence of 15yrs, and find my chest / lungs burn like hell when seriously stressed on those last couple of reps. Something that never used to happen when I was younger. This may just be an age thing anyway ... but in my mind I'm convinced its the smokes. Of course I would prefer to be a non-smoker, but after so many attempts over the years, I've given up giving up! lol. So I will continue to smoke and pump (not at same time, you understand) and just have to work that bit harder to overcome the poison I'm inhaling. One day I will stub out my last ciggie ... who knows ... I might even still be alive afterwards! ;o)
    I am a couple of years older than you and I can say it is the smokes. When I started back up running while still smoking it hurt and was nearly impossible. The discomfort went away quickly when I quit smoking.

I smoked on and off from 14 to 51. I quit a few times, several for a year or more, but always restarted. This time I quit using an ecig and was able to stop immediately and have stayed quit for over 2 years. You still get the nicotine without all the other bad stuff. Google "Volcano ecig" if interested.

Now THIS is an actual useful post. Thanks guys!

I generally only comment when I can add to the discussion, so I would agree with the above, and mention that as a 40 year smoker to varying degrees, and a former Army Master Fitness Trainer, that ran the Seattle marathon in 1978, while smoking a couple packs per day, the physiology is different for us all, you have to figure out what yours is.
    I know do fitness training with wheelchair patients and run our fitness center for patients and staff at a VA Hospital, One of the Docs who is a regular customer of mine and now a good friend commented on my weight loss the other day, and asked if I had quit smoking, when I said no he then asked how much I smoked per day, because he had just read some research that indicated for MALES there is little to no detrimental affect when they smoke 10 cigs or less per day. I have not followed up on the research and read it myself yet so this is hearsay, But may be useful info for you.
    BTW I stopped running when Army Doc told me to in 1989; not because of Lung capacity but because of worn out joints. I still do challenging walks though and at age 58 my BP is still 122/74 and pulse 64 30 mins after exercise.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The harshest criticizers of smokers are former smokers....just as the harshest criticizers of drinkers are recovering alcoholics.
    [/quote]

HAHA-no doubt! The one's who glare at me when I'm outside must be former smokers-sigh.

I'm still trying to get "fit" 40 or so pounds to lose - have smoked for 22 years less one pregnancy. My husband and I often talk about qutting. Its really hard when only one of us is ready. So...either way I hope to be fit and one day I hope to be a fit non-smoker :) Being in my mid-30s, I see how its starting to cause wrinkles-ahhh! :) I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    fit smoker = oxymoron
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    The harshest criticizers of smokers are former smokers....just as the harshest criticizers of drinkers are recovering alcoholics.
    HAHA-no doubt! The one's who glare at me when I'm outside must be former smokers-sigh.

I'm still trying to get "fit" 40 or so pounds to lose - have smoked for 22 years less one pregnancy. My husband and I often talk about qutting. Its really hard when only one of us is ready. So...either way I hope to be fit and one day I hope to be a fit non-smoker :) Being in my mid-30s, I see how its starting to cause wrinkles-ahhh! :) I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

Can I just say, I gave up waiting for my husband, he still smokes (outside) - every time we tried together one of us would lapse then we both would end up starting again. When you're ready just go for it and NEVER rely on anyone else :-)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    fit smoker = oxymoron

I dunno, I reckon you can still be fit and smoke.

Sure, it's not optimal but there are degrees.

I also reckon you can be 'fat' and fit.

I used to smoke, am I fitter now? No idea.
  • beachlover317
    Options
    fit smoker = oxymoron

Well, maybe. But my perspective on fit does not include smoking or overeating. I am not fit now. I am better because I quit smoking a year ago this month. I am better because I now lift weights and make healthy food choices. But I am not FIT in my opinion. So - when I said oxymoron it was because that was the word that came to mind while browsing through the forum on a Sunday morning.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,710 Member
    Options
    I quit in 93. I've seen photos of Bradley Wiggins (Tour de France winner) smoking.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    fit smoker = oxymoron

Well, maybe. But my perspective on fit does not include smoking or overeating. I am not fit now. I am better because I quit smoking a year ago this month. I am better because I now lift weights and make healthy food choices. But I am not FIT in my opinion. So - when I said oxymoron it was because that was the word that came to mind while browsing through the forum on a Sunday morning.

It sounds like you are getting your definitions confused then.
  • KristyHumphrey
    Options

Can I just say, I gave up waiting for my husband, he still smokes (outside) - every time we tried together one of us would lapse then we both would end up starting again. When you're ready just go for it and NEVER rely on anyone else :-)

Thank you :) makes sense - I just gotta do it!
  • KristyHumphrey
    Options
    I smoke 1 1/2 packs of marlboro menthol 100's a day. I lift, do occasional cardio, and smoking hasn't caused me any noticeable problems. That being said, I'd love to quit because I know it's not good for me long term, but it hasn't affected my fitness.

You're only 20-just wait. I didn't start to notice anything noticable until I entered my 30s - physically - dryer skin, more wrinkles, especially around my mouth - and coughing in the morning. You got some ways to go though!
  • beachlover317
    Options
    fit smoker = oxymoron

It sounds like you are getting your definitions confused then.

Really? How so?
    "expression with contradictory words: a phrase in which two words of contradictory meaning are used together for special effect"