Will all restaurants have to list their calorie info??

Options
Why do so many places still not have their calorie info available? Drives me nuts lol! Eating at Cheddar's next weekend and it would be nice to be able to plan ahead!

Replies

• slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think it's only fast food places that have to post it on the menus now. I don't think ACTUAL restaurants are obligated to. You'll just have to over-estimate what you think the actual count would be...
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I hope not. Sounds kinda ridiculous.

It's not gonna stop people eating high-calorie foods, not at all. Worst it'll do is, I dunno, make them feel guilty later?
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Currently I think it's just fast food places. If you live in or visit CA, they have to have their calories listed. Some law was passed or something that by 2014 or so all places have to post that somewhere, if not on their menus then on a wall somewhere. My husband hates it (He doesn't diet and he loves high calorie meals) because he KNOWS now how many calories are in what he's eating and he said it makes him feel like a bad guy cause know he knows...
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    There are some nicer places that list nutritional information voluntarily - and I love them for it!! When I know I will be eating out I like to look up the restaurant's nutritional info and plan ahead what I am going to have. That way I will not get tempted into a bad decision by a great menu desctiption - or worse - "tonight's special is...".
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Pick something from the database that is similar to what you'll be ordering.
  • cindyhanson58
    cindyhanson58 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you can try checking myfitnesspal's database... many people have figured out the majority of what you'll find. Many seem pretty darn close.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    You want misleading? I'll give you misleading:

Cheesecake Factory's Crispy Chicken Costoletta - According to the menu, it's a chicken breast lightly breaded and sautéed to a crispy golden brown. It is served with a lemon sauce, mashed potatoes and fresh asparagus.

Doesn't sound too bad right?

According to CSPI, it also has 2,610 calories, more than a 12-piece bucket of original recipe Kentucky Fried Chicken, and 4½ days' worth of saturated fat (that's over 90 grams).

Putting that information on a menu would probably keep people from ordering it. In NYC most places have to post calories. I love it
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Currently I think it's just fast food places. If you live in or visit CA, they have to have their calories listed. Some law was passed or something that by 2014 or so all places have to post that somewhere, if not on their menus then on a wall somewhere. My husband hates it (He doesn't diet and he loves high calorie meals) because he KNOWS now how many calories are in what he's eating and he said it makes him feel like a bad guy cause know he knows...

I live in California. I believe it's actually only required for chain restaraunts with 15 or more locations.

To the OP, I certainly appreciate when they list the nutritional info but I don't think it's our right. I am quite capable of making responsible food choices regardless of if there is calorie info posted.
  • pastryari
    Options

Cheesecake Factory's Crispy Chicken Costoletta - According to the menu, it's a chicken breast lightly breaded and sautéed to a crispy golden brown. It is served with a lemon sauce, mashed potatoes and fresh asparagus.

According to CSPI, it also has 2,610 calories, more than a 12-piece bucket of original recipe Kentucky Fried Chicken, and 4½ days' worth of saturated fat (that's over 90 grams).

Putting that information on a menu would probably keep people from ordering it. In NYC most places have to post calories. I love it

Misleading? Sure, for the people out there that aren't educated. Hm, chicken breast that is breaded and sauteed in who knows what is calorie dense? Shocking. People can make responsible food choices, but they choose either not to or aren't educated enough to realize. They could easily order some grilled lean meat and a side of steamed veggies but people don't want that. People WANT to be in denial and remain ignorant so that they don't have to face it. I don't think blaming a restaraunt for one's food choices is valid.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options

wow. and i don't even feel like the calories that are posted for some items at restaurants are even very accurate. the idea of the dish may be ___this many calories...but the actual calories once prepared (given whatever circumstances) may be ____this many calories.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

I live in California. I believe it's actually only required for chain restaraunts with 15 or more locations.

To the OP, I certainly appreciate when they list the nutritional info but I don't think it's our right. I am quite capable of making responsible food choices regardless of if there is calorie info posted.

Yes. This is correct on both points.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    I'll be gald when they all do or at least say all of these meals list are below/under .. cals
  • JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Apparently if the place has less than 20 locations they are not required (CA) to publish a list with nutritional info. Or at leat that's what Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ told me today!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly, it will be required nationwide for chains with twenty or more locations. It's part of Obamacare, but I'm not sure when it goes into effect. This article from Feb 2012 says "later this year," but that didn't happen.
    An important but mostly overlooked measure in the Affordable Care Act’s effort to combat obesity rates and bring down health care costs in the United States is likely to be noticed by consumers all over the country when it goes into effect later this year. The health reform law mandates chain restaurants with 20 or more locations to display the calorie content of standard items sold on the menu board or table menus, and to make other nutritional information, like fat, cholesterol, and fiber content, available in written form upon request. This new rule also pertains to vendors with at least 20 vending machines across the country. These vendors will have to make the calorie content of the foods sold visible to consumers at the point of purchase. Because this rule applies only to large-scale restaurants and vendors, small business owners with fewer than 20 locations will not be affected.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I wish it was for all restaurants, not just the fast-food joints. But the good thing is, that after using MFP I find that I am more and more likely to go to a restaurant and make a good choice. Instead of that 10 oz steak I will get that 8 oz grilled chicken or grilled fish plate with double veggies instead, etc... I have found that you don't have to go to Olive Garden to get a 2 for 1 deal. Most restaurants double the servings anyway.

I ask for a second plate now, and make the portions equivalant to that of what measure at home and then I know I am some what in the area of what I need. The stuff that is left over is lunch for the next day, =).
  • mrsstafford618
    mrsstafford618 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the website of the restaurant that I am going to prior to my visit. I am then able to plan my meal based on the nutrition information. The down side is that some places don't list the information. I agree with another post that said to find a food that is similar in the database. I hope this helps.
  • pastryari
    Options
    If I recall correctly, it will be required nationwide for chains with ten or more locations. It's part of Obamacare.

Well, I think a law was passed in CA but then it was ruled out but then Obama signed the health care reform bill which put it back in place and technically all the states have to abide by federal law so I believe it created confusion. I didn't follow but I think that was the gist of what happened.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    When you have these kind of questions you can google them and find the nutritional facts, while its takes 3 to 5 seconds to do it its great for finding information and be able to plan ahead. Unless I am incorrect in some states this covers the law of having the information available also.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    From 2008, "On Sept 30 California’s governor signed the first state-wide legislation to require chain restaurants with more than 20 locations to offer up key nutrition facts, such as calories, saturated fat, carbohydrate and sodium, at the point of purchase (right next to the price of the item on menus or menu boards). No longer will the availability of this information on websites, on posters or in brochures be sufficient. The legislation goes into effect July 2009 and takes full effect in 2011. In the meantime restaurant chains operating in California are required to provide brochures with nutrition information on site."

http://www.hopewarshaw.com/blog/california-1st-state-nutrition-facts-restaurant-menus

So the existing California law and the new naional law are both for chains with twenty or more.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I have to back the coach's play in this one.

Without the nutrition information, no amount of education can help you make the right choices at restaurants. Sticking with his Cheesecake Factory example, the average salad in that place is around 1600 cal. I order a cheeseburger there for 750 cals and my friends think I'm indulging when I'm eating less than half the calories they are.

Choices that seem safe at restaurants are coated in high calorie sauces and oils that bump the calories to levels you would never guess. That said, CF is the most egregious example and is voted worst restaurant in America year after year in the ET,NT books.