The JJ Diet

Options
Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult any one that belongs to or comments on this thread. If you disagree with this subject and thread then please be respectful and do not leave a message of any kind on our topic. If you are disrespectful at all on this thread, I will report you. I am starting this thread as a safe place for other people who want to be on this diet and lifestyle. We have educated ourselves and as adults have decided to do this diet. We want a safe place to talk and ask questions. We want a safe place to discuss the diet we choose and look for encouragement.

The JJ Virgin Diet. She is a doctor. If you don't know anything about this diet, you can google it and find information on it. After you have educated yourself, feel free to ask any questions and join our group!:flowerforyou:

I am on day 18 of the diet. It has been relatively easy. I feel a lot better and have lost 6 pounds as of today. The book says you can lose UP TO 7 lbs in 7 days. I am losing slower than I'd like but I do feel better.

Welcome to the thread. Vickie

Replies

• chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I tend to distrust any plan that has the word "diet" in it. If I can't eat that way for the rest of my life, then it's probably not a good choice for me. But I wish you well :drinker:
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Celebrity fitness and nutrition expert JJ Virgin says it’s simple: Just drop seven foods from your diet, and you can lose seven pounds in one week. The foods you should drop from your diet include: gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, corn & sugar and artificial sweeteners.

It is supposed to help with inflammation, which is one of my reasons for trying it! Why are you trying it? :flowerforyou:
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying it. I am towards the end of a 9month long dental process, I can't eat very much meat, so eggs have been a big part of my protein intake. I had my teeth pulled on the top and getting an upper denture on Wednesday so I can only eat softer foods. Congrats on the loss though, hope you have great luck :)
  • Julesconan
    Options
    WOW, EXCELLENT OPENING,
    I posted yesterday regarding the diet I am currently on and was mocked, abused and generally disliked. As educated adults we dont generally go into these things blindly, especially as there is so much information at our fingertips, readilly avaliable. I wish you well with your journey : )
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    No offence, but diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do. Can you go for the rest of your life without eating those foods? If you can't sustain this eating plan for the rest of your life, then it's not worth it IMO. But I'm not here to tell you what to do. Your body, your choice. Just make sure you're getting enough protein, fats and carbs from other sources, or vitamin supplements if needed.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    JJ Virgin is NOT a doctor, she is yet another quack nutritionist.

I suggest you make private group for this topic to prevent bad advice spreading.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You're posting on an open public forum, if you'd like to keep responses limited to only those who believe this type of "diet", I would suggest creating a group or private group.

I'll keep my personal opinions about the diet to myself as I don't know anything about it, but when I google someone and the top 3 or 4 things are negative or have the words scam, critics and a promise of lose 7 pounds in 7 days it would be something I would avoid.

Having to put a disclaimer on my choice because I know it will fall under intense scruitiny would be reason enough for me to question how educated of a decision I was making, but I do wish you the best of luck finding a healthy way of life that suits your needs.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Those 7 foods amount to a very, very restrictive diet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You're posting on an open publim forum, if you'd like to keep responses limited to only those who believe this type of "diet"I would suggest creating a group or private group.

I'll keep my personal opinions about the diet to myself as I don't know anything about it, but when I google someone and the top 3 or 4 things are negative or have the words scam, critics and a promise of lose 7 pounds in 7 days it would be something I would avoid.

Having to put a disclaimer on my choice because I know it will fall under intense scruitiny would be reason enough for me to question how educated of a decision I was making, but I do wish you the best of luck finding a healthy way of life that suits your needs.

Well said.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I think the opening paragraph of your post says more about the 'diet' than any discussion of its merits could.

It basically comes across as "I know this diet is probably snake oil, but don't mock me about it because I'm precious about it and its a "lifestyle choice", m'kay?"

Report anyone you like - its a public forum and nobody has insulted you personally, unless of course you take criticism of your diet and the "doctor" who thought it up as a personal attack.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Celebrity fitness and nutrition expert JJ Virgin says it’s simple: Just drop seven foods from your diet, and you can lose seven pounds in one week. The foods you should drop from your diet include: gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, corn & sugar and artificial sweeteners.

It is supposed to help with inflammation, which is one of my reasons for trying it! Why are you trying it? :flowerforyou:

You're an adult and others have already pointed out the negatives and due to your wishes, I won't be saying anything against the diet. I just want to know... is JJ really a certified nutritionist?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult any one that belongs to or comments on this thread. If you disagree with this subject and thread then please be respectful and do not leave a message of any kind on our topic. If you are disrespectful at all on this thread, I will report you. I am starting this thread as a safe place for other people who want to be on this diet and lifestyle. We have educated ourselves and as adults have decided to do this diet. We want a safe place to talk and ask questions. We want a safe place to discuss the diet we choose and look for encouragement.

The JJ Virgin Diet. She is a doctor. If you don't know anything about this diet, you can google it and find information on it. After you have educated yourself, feel free to ask any questions and join our group!:flowerforyou:

I am on day 18 of the diet. It has been relatively easy. I feel a lot better and have lost 6 pounds as of today. The book says you can lose UP TO 7 lbs in 7 days. I am losing slower than I'd like but I do feel better.

Welcome to the thread. Vickie

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!

This diet over promises and under delivers. If you did manage to lose 7 pounds in one week it's going to be water weight and you'll gain it back in two days. She's but a doctor. The diet disappoints. Restrictive diets have a high rate of failure. This is an open forum. Start a private thread if you want.

Welcome to the internet. Dave
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm know you only want to hear from people who support this fad diet, and I don't. But this is an open forum so even people who disagree with your view have a right to share their opinion. I find it ridiculous to think that by eliminating any 7 foods from your diet can make all your troubles with weight disappear. Because if you gorged yourself on everything else, you wouldn't lose weight. One could eat nothing but celery, and if they ate enough they would gain weight. It boils down to burning more calories than you consume.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    NO EGGS ????? i can never do that .. i EAT 5 EGG WHITES FOR BREAKFAST ABOUT 6 TIMES A WEEK .. oOOoOooOoOoOO no dairy ? I LOVE CHEESE, I HAVE IT 2 OR 3 TIMES A WEEK...... .
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    and JJ VIRGIN is not a doctor ...

you should google it
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just looked over the "diet" -- really, it's a way to check for food intolerances. So yes, it's "restrictive" in that it removes the foods most likely to cause issues in the general population. As long as it's used for a limited time, I don't see a problem. Having said that, I don't see where you then add foods back in one by one to confirm which are the problem. There is no long term point to removing everything if your body chemistry doesn't have a problem with it. Twelve years ago, I did an elimination diet, where I removed EVERYTHING for a week long period (felt better than I had in years and years, but only last six days eating chicken, rice, pears and I can't remember what else :-P) then every other day added one type of food (citrus, sugar, eggs, wheat) back in. Discovered gluten was the main culprit and have been gluten free since.
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Never mind, she actually describes it as an elimination diet, although they have you off for 21 days before you start introducing foods back in, which I personally think is far too long (maybe not for artificial sweeteners 'cause I'm not sure how long they would hang around in the system). So yes, this is a TEMPORARY elimination diet ... which, may I add, is very easy to do on your own without buying a bunch of product :-P.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Do not forget to exercise much more that you would normally. Most of us on this website have got overweight because we eat too much.

Your body can lose weight by exercising not just eating less food. You will also lose the flabby bits that you don't like and improve your heart health and increase your life expectancy.

Good luck - proud of you for trying.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I think the opening paragraph of your post says more about the 'diet' than any discussion of its merits could.

It basically comes across as "I know this diet is probably snake oil, but don't mock me about it because I'm precious about it and its a "lifestyle choice", m'kay?"

Report anyone you like - its a public forum and nobody has insulted you personally, unless of course you take criticism of your diet and the "doctor" who thought it up as a personal attack.

This!!!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I will respect your wishes and not make any derogatory comments concerning "diets" as a whole. I will say, the purpose of posting on a forum is to gather information, both positive and negative, and then go forward to make an informed decision. The purpose of forming a group is to surround yourself with other like minded individuals. Perhaps then, I shall recommend that you form a group. You will get what you get on the forum. Good luck.