How can you lose serious weight and still eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's patience, a lifestyle change and a desire to really want it. Before deciding that I REALLY wanted to change this was my life daily: 2-3 bottles of beer/alcoholic beverages a night, a venti Starbucks everyday, tubs of ice cream, bags of chips, fatty cuts of meat, no portion control, not much fruits or veggies, very little water and little to no exercise other than hoofing around my job.

Now, 2-ish weeks later, I am 12 lbs lighter. The changes I made: 1 beer or glass of wine occassionally, 2 non-fat Starbucks per week, ice cream or rich desserts only when I am visiting someone's house (and that is to be polite), no chips just randomly sitting around, lessened consumption of fatty cuts of meats (which is hard, because I LOVE ribeye steaks!!!) and more lean proteins, still trying to master the art of portion control (so, if I overdo, I exercise off the calories I went over), MUCH MORE fruits and veggies, between 6-10 glass of water (my job does not allow me to keep any drinks at my cubicle, so I get dirty looks from my supervisor whenever I take my every 45 min-1 hr water and potty break), and, lastly, I am doing a minimum of 3 30 mins bouts of cardio-type exercise a week.

I want to lose 100 lbs, minimum. I have a calorie goal of 1700 cal/day, and I have a hard time meeting that goal, but I always try to at least get close... and I losing with that theory. I made fairly drastic changes to my life, and it is working!!! So, you question how morbidly obese people can eat and still lose weight??? I am proof that it can be done.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    track your food here.this site is awesome because all you have to do is enter everything you eat each day,and everything else is done for you.
    now,about eating:
    Try to eat food that is high in proteins and low in carbohydrates.In the morning you can eat both carbs and proteins,but try to really cut down the carbs in the evening.
    The food that is low in calories and will help you a lot:
    *lean meat(meat is actually not bad for your body,it can help you with weight loss if you don't eat it with bread)
    *vegetables(for example:broccoli,brussels sprouts(they taste really good when roasted with garlic and black pepper),kale,tomatoes,beans...)
    *citrus fruit(oranges,tangerines,grapefruit,lemon...)
    Stay away from bread and any kind of pastry.Those were pretty much the reason I've gained weight.
    Also,do NOT eat potatoes,they are almost as bad as candies.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Either you figure your weight loss by TDEE - 20% for a respectable deficit or you use the MFP method and set a modest loss of 1 to 2 lbs. a week. When I started 42 months ago at 560 lbs. this was never a race to get the weight off. You must first come to terms with yourself that this is a total lifestyle change and nothing less. You must commit to this being the rest of your life and than start walking that path. I never set my caloric deficit beyond losing 2 lbs. a week. Was there weeks in there when more weight came off most definitely but that happened more in the beginning while my body adjust to not getting the 8 to 10,000 plus calories a day that it had come used too. Beyond that get moving, I could not stand and support my own weight back then for a period longer than 20 -30 seconds at a stretch so my doctor wrote me a script for Aquatic therapy and I used weight displacement to be able to stand and I would walk laps in the therapy pool. Did this for 17 months and lost 170 lbs. until I was able to get out of the pool and fitted with braces to continue my journey. Now today (still facing 2 total knee replacements in a few months) I am able to walk on a treadmill, do the elliptical, swim laps and lift weights. If you concentrate on calories in vs. calories out and get moving and live this as a lifestyle there really is no way to fail.... Best of Luck to you....
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I started the food plan at kaysheppard.com at 466.6 pounds on 1/8/13.
    This morning (day 13) I weighed 436.2
    I have 3 large nutritious meals and a snack before bed.
  • tcbntx2011
    Options
    Sorry I'M new what is TDEE
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    Total daily energy expenditure.

Welcome!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I started out at 360 lbs...and at 5'6" this is basically a big ol ball. I've lost 80 pounds in the past 10 months and you can eat and lose weight. You have to find what works for you and what doesn't work for you. I know for me...and me only pasta and rice adds weight to me. So I gave them up, I eat whole grain breads now and get up and move my butt. Good luck.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'M new what is TDEE

Total Daily Energy Expenditure

The link will help you find yours so you can use TDEE - 20% for your calorie goal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717565-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • matti07
    matti07 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    On top of what everyone else has mentioned, the more you have to lose, the longer it takes. You never, ever, give up. No matter how much you have to lose or how slow it goes, never give up.

Thanks. I really need to hear that reminder!