Wheat free diet do I need more protein in this?

Options
2»

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah initially I was intending only to go wheat free but then I decided to try gluten free.
    It's not just because I want to lose weight more because gluten could be making be tired and giving me headaches it usually occurs after lunch which would normally be some sort of bread or in the morning after cereal.

I want to manage my protein intake and eat more vegetables and fruit I don't seem to eat enough I find it easier to manage it so far by cutting the gluten.

Also I seem to find it hard to eat more than 1000cals even though I eat 5/6 meals a day. Maybe it's because occasionally my lunch will be small .

Why are you identifying gluten as the possible culprit?No offense but it sounds more like you are bandwagon jumping than have properly researched this, gluten is just one the proteins in wheat that can cause issues in susceptible people, the carbs can also cause an issue, or the simple fact that wheat products tend to be heavily processed. Do you get the exact same issues from wheat berries or from barley grains?
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Why are you identifying gluten as the possible culprit?No offense but it sounds more like you are bandwagon jumping than have properly researched this, gluten is just one the proteins in wheat that can cause issues in susceptible people, the carbs can also cause an issue, or the simple fact that wheat products tend to be heavily processed. Do you get the exact same issues from wheat berries or from barley grains?

I don't really eat wheat berries or barley grains . Oats makes me tired occasionally depending what I put in it.. I have felt much more energised since cutting out the wheat so far and I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms wanting anything . I just find it easier to eat healthy this way cutting most of the carbs , processed food. I probably will try and get a allergy test done but for now for say a week or two . And most people always tell me I need to cut out wheat to lose weight.
  • skinnylizzy5
    Options
    It's very interesting (to me) to look at the way that different foods affect me. This helps me to learn what is "healthy" FOR ME. Not for anyone else. For example, dairy gives me sinus headaches. Therefore, I do not feel it is healthy for me to eat dairy. Gluten gives me migraines and significant digestive complaints. I have shared all of this with my doctor after doing a bit of food logging/observation on my own and after a number of tests I have been diagnosed with intolerances to gluten and dairy. In my opinion part of adopting a healthy lifestyle is really understanding how the food you eat fuels your own body. We're all different so what works for one may not work for all.

Feel free to add me or message me if you have any questions about the process that I went through. It was a long one but well worth the energetic/headache-free life I live now!

**Please don't comment on my lack of dairy = lack of calcium. I drink almond milk, eat kale or spinach every day, and take a supplement. I am under the care of an MD and RD and assure you I am well nourished.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It's very interesting (to me) to look at the way that different foods affect me. This helps me to learn what is "healthy" FOR ME. Not for anyone else. For example, dairy gives me sinus headaches. Therefore, I do not feel it is healthy for me to eat dairy. Gluten gives me migraines and significant digestive complaints. I have shared all of this with my doctor after doing a bit of food logging/observation on my own and after a number of tests I have been diagnosed with intolerances to gluten and dairy. In my opinion part of adopting a healthy lifestyle is really understanding how the food you eat fuels your own body. We're all different so what works for one may not work for all.

Feel free to add me or message me if you have any questions about the process that I went through. It was a long one but well worth the energetic/headache-free life I live now!

**Please don't comment on my lack of dairy = lack of calcium. I drink almond milk, eat kale or spinach every day, and take a supplement. I am under the care of an MD and RD and assure you I am well nourished.

I do notice certain foods affect me differently like chocolate or bacon always makes me very tired instantly . Bread I think possibly makes me fatigued to the point I can't concentrate but it happens after an hour. Yeah I'm really interested in trying stuff like cutting things out to see the differences too. I don't think I'd go as far as dairy that'd be technically the paleo diet . I did mention to my doctor but it wasn't a doctor I usually see that sometimes after eating something I'd be tired and he told me it couldn't be an allergy. I am thinking of writing a food diary and writing my energy levels everyday while I'm on the wheat/gluten free diet .
    I still need to find ways to add in more protein I still don't feel I eat enough I just need to get used to new meals. Most people tell me wheat is bad with the insulin spikes and is the reason you eat more and to lose weight they always say you should cut the wheat completely.
  • chicagodawn
    chicagodawn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    After years of stomach pain and horrid rashes, I was found to have a gluten intolerance, and also specifically a wheat allergy (which oddly I developed as an adult). Going gluten free changed my life....BUT it isn't a secret to losing weight! Use mfp to track calories....in my first two years of gluten free, i gained a total of 40 pounds!

I was eating so much rice, corn products, gluten free pasta, etc, and not tracking calories!

Wheat free is a necessity for me, but now to lose weight I need to count calories. I am limiting my old favorite processed carbs to once a week each, and measuring the serving sizes. So far I'm down 5.5 pounds in 2 weeks.

I think total calories is what matters, and making sure you have a healthy variety of foods. Good luck!
  • skinnylizzy5
    Options
    Yes, I would agreed calories matter too! I lost a bunch of weight in the first few days which my doctor tells me was likely water weight as a result of inflammation caused by my gluten and dairy intolerance. After that, it was back to the slow and steady progress. I do concentrate on eating whole/unprocessed foods as much as I can and that largely does not include "gluten free" things. Rather my grains are rice, quinoa, or just other things. That's not to criticize the "gluten free" products on the market - they just aren't as nutrient dense and not as helpful to me as I reach towards my goals! I've been working with an RD and also doing the Arbonne 30 day program and grains are not emphasized as much as other foods like fruits/veggies, protein, and fat.

I think keeping a food diary is a GREAT idea and that will really helpful to you when your doctor asks you questions. To me, I view this as a personal health journey rather than just a "weight loss" journey so it's fun and exciting to learn new ways to be healthier/help your own personal body run better. Best of luck :)
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Unless foods are naturally gluten free, I wouldn't eat the "Gluten Free" products that come in a box in excess thinking it helps anyone's diet. These products have potato starch, corn starch, modified starches and high fructose corn syrup. These things are rubbish and will not help you lose weight. Granted, once in awhile these foods may sneak in on occasion. I am not a perfectly clean eater (yet). Non-processed is always best. The wheat that is around nowadays has more sugar in it than a candy bar. It raises sugar levels higher than anything. Sad but, true.