When do you weigh yourself?

Options
So my husband and I have differing views on this. He weighs himself once a week, which I've heard to be the ideal. However, I've been weighing myself every couple days. If I've lost weight, then it motivates me to keep going. If I've gained, then I know I need to buckle down. What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• lucyster92
    lucyster92 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i limit myself to once a week just because i obsess over it and end up doing it like 3 times a day!

every Sunday morning i weigh myself.
  • masfe
    masfe Posts: 17
    Options
    You'll just end up changing your routine/lose motivation based on the numbers that the scale shows, which imo is a mistake.

If you follow a plan, and then the scale shows that you gained some pounds, that doesn't mean that you should change your plan immediatelly. Just because you gained 1 pound, it doesn't mean that you haven't lost fat.

Most people that weight everyday tend to undereat often just because they are worried that they gained some weight over the last days or because they wanna reach a new low weight. You shouldn't let that affect anything. Just focus on your plan and eventually the results will show.

I'd say 1time/week max
  • masfe
    masfe Posts: 17
    Options
    Oh and there's a lot of people that lose weight in whooshes and that will affect your motivation rly hard if you weight yourself everyday
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, not sure why. It's a habit I think. I don't stress if it goes up a pound or so.....just keeping at it.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself on the first of the month. I can tell when I need to buckle down, and the scale only frustrates me.
  • carleighsmama
    carleighsmama Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. Usually on Sunday or Monday morning.
  • LoveLiftedMe
    Options
    I weigh in once a week - either Sunday morning or Monday morning - any more than that and I get down on myself. Also, this might be TMI, but I always go after visiting the ladies room - makes a big difference!:wink:
  • Miggy52
    Miggy52 Posts: 164
    Options
    I weigh my self daily in the morning...think Im going to stop doing that....I obsess to much about it and the numbers on the scales are not moving any ways..and it depresses me....so think I will hide them for a while and see what happens....
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    once a month, after tom and first thing in the morning.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself everyday - as long as you get to know you ups and downs rhythm, it's better than waiting a week to see that you really have put on 3 pounds. I know on the weekend I can go up 2- 4 pounds, but it that's not gone by Tuesday morning I have to trim back a little to get back on track.

If you want to be scientific and/or can't deal with fluctuations the use http://physicsdiet.com/to log it and it gives you nice graphs.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I recently joined TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) and weigh in there every Friday for accountability. On Friday's I do MFP weigh in accourding to what I weighed in at TOPS. TOPS is so cheap at $28 per year. Problem is the meetings are the mosts boring I have ever been to. Searched and attended four different TOPS groups and they were all very boring. I weigh myself at home every morning. BUT ....it works for me to weigh in.
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh myself daily. If I don't do this, one day turns into a week then a month. I know i will recieve flack for this but this is what works for me. I am here to lose weight for me!
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every night and every morning. I know my weight goes up at night, but it prepares me for what it might be the next morning. I go by my morning weights as to what I actually am, and if it goes up a pound or two over a couple of days, I know right away what I've done wrong. Usually I know anyway before I see the number, but the number just confirms it so I know I need to work harder.

It's all a matter of personal preference how often one weighs him/herself. Mentally, it's better for some people to wait and do it once a week, but that just doesn't work for me.
  • bids55
    bids55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Every morning..... don't get bent out of shape with "up or down"....just a habit.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Every day, twice a day, just in case I've dropped 10lb without noticing, it's never happened yet :grumble: I like to see the fluctuation :happy:
  • f1ann4rs
    f1ann4rs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week, every Wednesday morning. I find it a good target and also it has been a great motivation so far.
  • leahj4
    leahj4 Posts: 7
    Options
    since ive started to try and loose my weight I weighed every sunday morning. and lost. then my weight loss has slowed and I started weigh in wednesdays I guess I feel this keeps me more on track and if ive gianed some from sunday to wednesday then I can do something different.
  • iknowiknow
    iknowiknow Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning as part of my routine.
  • sphira
    sphira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Once a week works for me. Do what works the best for you.
  • janet800
    janet800 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im really just getting started again,I weigh myself Saturday morning.