Cleaning Calories?!?

Options
Am I the only one who gets totally annoyed with people logging cleaning as an exercise? I'm turning into a bit of a cowbag about it and deleted people off my friends list because seeing it genuinely miffs me off.

I mean seriously - logging over 600 calories for light cleaning? Seriously? Come on - tell me i am not being unreasonable thinking it's a cop out?

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    If I can get up and do anything today I'll log it. Usually I don't worry about what other people do, I figure it's their business.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you care so much. It's my diary, not yours, and I can log it if I want to.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well, I put my HRM the other day to test it when I did cleaning - I mean hardcore, bathrooms, kitchen, hoovering, about 90 minutes. I worked up quite a sweat (having over 100lbs to lose) and my calorie burn from MFP was actually not that far off from what my HRM said.

I think that for people with a lot of weight to lose, cleaning can be a tiring activity which gets their heart rate going. Also, stay-at-home mothers who don't get a chance to go out for a run or do an exercise DVD probably use the 'cleaning' option to get their exercise in, and some cleaning activities, as I've said, can really work up a sweat!

I understand where you're coming from but don't think too much about what other people are logging as exercise, because people will do what they need to do to get their workouts in, and not everyone has the same opportunities to do so!

:drinker:
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I clean up to 4 hours a day, 6 on weekends, and Im not talking about walking around lightly feathering of the dusk like Cinderella. I bust my butt and when Im done I have a good sweat worked up and a floor so clean even I'd eat off it. I run a home daycare so my house has to be spotless, don't want the kids eating last weeks arts n craft off the floor lol. And my bf does not know how to pick up after himself. So you can think for some people it may be a cop out but you have no idea what their actually doing, your only seeing the activity and calories burned. For all you know they could be scrubbing out the stove, moving heavy furniture to clean under it (i.e. washing machines are not light as a feather) or scrubbing scum off of 3 bathtubs. So I think its really not your business. Someone elses calorie burning activities does not affect your weight does it? So who cares, its someone elses life and if thats what they want to do let them. Worry about yourself because your the only one who can make YOU lose weight, not someone elses activities.
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you care so much. It's my diary, not yours, and I can log it if I want to.

:drinker:

It won't affect your goals so....
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    :embarassed: Sometimes I work my *kitten* off cleaning.
  • Natashadb
    Options
    Yeah I think my house must be really messy as I don't ever count cleaning as excersise!

It does annoy me, but then again each to their own and all that! If they see cleaning as ''excersize'' then go for it. They are only cheating themselves by earning extra calories this way.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I see your point but it does depend on whether they have their activity level as sedentary or not. That would determine whether they are right or wrong to log everything. I suspect many people don't quite understand how to get the best out of MFP, though.

And if you have your level set to very active then you would be daft to log anything less than marathons...
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If i could estimate my calorie usage for picking my nose i would put it on there :P
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I take care of that by NOT CLEANING at all... Works well for me. Although the DUST HIPPOS are getting pretty big. LOL !!!
    If they want to clean that much ... then please come to my house !!
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Exercise is anything a person does that is not a part of your regular routine. My own philosophy is to only count what i am actually doing to purposely exercise and not things i do for other purposes. I personally do not believe that cleaning should be considered an exercise. Unless of course it someone that never cleans. (I can see someone logging real deep, move the furniture around, kind of cleaning though.)
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    I clean up to 4 hours a day, 6 on weekends, and Im not talking about walking around lightly feathering of the dusk like Cinderella. I bust my butt and when Im done I have a good sweat worked up and a floor so clean even I'd eat off it. I run a home daycare so my house has to be spotless, don't want the kids eating last weeks arts n craft off the floor lol. And my bf does not know how to pick up after himself. So you can think for some people it may be a cop out but you have no idea what their actually doing, your only seeing the activity and calories burned. For all you know they could be scrubbing out the stove, moving heavy furniture to clean under it (i.e. washing machines are not light as a feather) or scrubbing scum off of 3 bathtubs. So I think its really not your business. Someone elses calorie burning activities does not affect your weight does it? So who cares, its someone elses life and if thats what they want to do let them. Worry about yourself because your the only one who can make YOU lose weight, not someone elses activities.

I see your main point and i agree. However if you are cleaning that often then you should not be logging it on here as it would be factored in to your TDEE already.
  • spm2010
    Options
    Is it just me or is the OP pic of a donut being eaten? Cus if so I don't know why your hating on other peoples activities when your trying to sneak in junk food. Also, why are you looking up what other people are doing for their activities? How is that right? I hate people cleaning but Im going to try and sneak in junk food so no one can eat? Right.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    I see your point but it does depend on whether they have their activity level as sedentary or not. That would determine whether they are right or wrong to log everything. I suspect many people don't quite understand how to get the best out of MFP, though.

And if you have your level set to very active then you would be daft to log anything less than marathons...

this
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I just don't comment on it unless it says including because that means they have done something else as well!

The thing you have to remember is that it depends on a persons settings! If someone is truly sedentary then cooking and cleaning and even brushing their teeth could be classed as extra calories! I couldn't be bothered to keep adding stuff like that so I chose to increase my activity level!
  • spm2010
    Options

I see your main point and i agree. However if you are cleaning that often then you should not be logging it on here as it would be factored in to your TDEE already.

Haven't added it to my TDEE cus it changes sometimes, sometimes Im lucky and can get away with 2 hours so want to be accurate.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    to each their own... i usually use hard cleaning days (moving furniture etc) to punish myself for a previous days binge eating or drinking lol but i don't log it
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    Is it just me or is the OP pic of a donut being eaten? Cus if so I don't know why your hating on other peoples activities when your trying to sneak in junk food. Also, why are you looking up what other people are doing for their activities? How is that right? I hate people cleaning but Im going to try and sneak in junk food so no one can eat? Right.

I am sorry but this comment is ridiculous. If she wants to eat some junk food then so what. It is cruel to give someone any amount of crap for their choices...................................And also, when someone enters cleaning as a cardio exercise it automatically is put on the feed. One does not have to look at peoples logs to see this.
  • suzycav77
    suzycav77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets totally annoyed with people logging cleaning as an exercise? I'm turning into a bit of a cowbag about it and deleted people off my friends list because seeing it genuinely miffs me off.

I mean seriously - logging over 600 calories for light cleaning? Seriously? Come on - tell me i am not being unreasonable thinking it's a cop out?

nope!! me two haha
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Well the op is "giving crap" and deleting people from friends list apparently.