Eggs

Options
13»

Replies

• leypb
    leypb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat 12+ eggs a week and I always find they help me lose weight. Of course there are many factors, but they keep me filled up and taste delicious. Always the whole egg!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for 1

photo.jpg
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options
    Cut and Paste:

I don't think conclusions about cholesterol should be drawn from some select studies (particularly if they are not relevant to everyone. Most people are not on low-carb diets). I am a health researcher and I tend to only trust meta-analyses, which are studies that synthesize the data from all relevant studies on a topic. This meta-analysis combined data from 17 studies and shows that eggs do raise total cholesterol: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11333841.
    One criticism of that meta-analysis is that it had stringent criteria for selecting studies to aggregate, therefore it did not include all published studies on the topic. However, it does make me skeptical about the claim that eggs have no effect on cholesterol (or a positive effect on HDL).
    This statement is contradicting itself. First their saying that eggs do raise cholesterol, then say they are skeptical that eggs have no effect.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for 1

photo.jpg

share!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Poached. I love it when the yolk is still mostly liquid
  • kthullibarger
    Options
    My husband recently went to a nutritionist to go on a weightgaining plan - the book that she gave him says to limit whole eggs to three per week because of the cholesteral. Egg whites do not have to be limited, but you'll need to eat two egg whites to get the protien in one whole egg. Although, If you don't have issues with cholesteral, or are getting it checked regularly then I don't see any issues with having more than three per week.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options
    Poached. I love it when the yolk is still mostly liquid
    Add a little smoked salmon and a few chives and I'm good.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for 1

photo.jpg

share!

I said for 1! OK, well maybe...
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I just love eggs.
  • missmya39
    Options
    Eggs are a perfect little food. It is my belief that you do not need to deprive yourself of the yolk if you have normal cholesterol levels. Alot of people with cholesterol issues is caused by heredity. Thus those need diet modification along with the use of prescriptions (usually). There are 3 kinds of cholesterols- HDL, LDL and VLDL. The HDL's (High Density Lipoproteins) are the "good" fats.. It's the LDL (Low Density Lipoproteins) and VLDL (Very Low Density Lipoproteins) that are the issue and the ones to watch closely. I personally do not think that "Healthy" fats are bad for you (in moderation). I think it's the processed foods that are the culprit for most of our problems. I'm changing my entire eating habits to just whole, natural, unprocessed foods. I'm eating more fruits, veggies, fish, eggs, Chia, Hemp etc. than I ever have and I feel great. Plus I'm juicing too. Love it.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for 1

share!

I said for 1! OK, well maybe...

maybe?!?!?!
    :angry:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat eggs, you WILL die.*

* - this truism sponsored by the egg council.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,279 Member
    Options
    My husband recently went to a nutritionist to go on a weightgaining plan - the book that she gave him says to limit whole eggs to three per week because of the cholesteral. Egg whites do not have to be limited, but you'll need to eat two egg whites to get the protien in one whole egg. Although, If you don't have issues with cholesteral, or are getting it checked regularly then I don't see any issues with having more than three per week.

Then the doctor is not keeping up with new research and findings.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat eggs, you WILL die.*

* - this truism sponsored by the egg council.

well that escalated quickly lol :laugh:
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the input. Really helped :)