Thoughts on Omelettes

Options
1235»

Replies

• bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're putting in it. I have a very filling omelet with 1 egg, dash of skim milk, tons of veggies and a little bit of cheese. Calorie wise it keeps my under 200 for breakfast and is very filling! Eggs always fill me up. Whole eggs that is, not just egg whites.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If one more person says egg whites are healthier than whole eggs I am tracking your IP, driving/flying to your house and smackin you lol. There is very LITTLE nutrition in the white. All the b vitamins are in the yolk as well as the healthy fats. If you are eating whites only to get to desired protein level and still stay within caloric range and/or fat/prot/carb ratio then fine, eat them. Just stop saying nonsense about them being somehow healthier not that you have trown away the part with all the nutrition. End rant

Ditto.

Plus the yolk is where the flavor is.

Oh i love the yolks but have medical issues which is why I don't eat the yokes. Sometimes I'll have 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites but most of the time I don't eat the yokes. My cholesterol has gone way down by following my doctors advice and nutritionist. So I stick with what works for me and go by what my dr and nutritionist advise me to do. No butter for me or bacon or sausage. And its shown great results in my blood work. I cook with all natural spray pam because it keeps me from over doing it on the oils. Plus my food comes out of the pan much easier. :wink: Believe me I would love to use butter when I cook but I can't. Would love to have bacon, salami, whole milk etc etc. With my family history of high cholesterol and strokes and heart disease I watch all those things.

Yeah I have cholesterol issues too. I have seen arguments that the cholesterol in eggs does not raise your cholesterol. Blood work does not lie though, so keep doing what you are doing. I use most egg whites too, we will see how my blood work comes back next time. I use myself as a guinea pig to find what foods impact me and what don't. :tongue:
  • Izabera
    Izabera Posts: 28
    Options
    Eat the whole egg!!

The yolk contains leucin, choline, as well as Vitamin A, D,E & B. Leucin helps the attack on visceral fat, the fat that builds around your internal organs. It also promotes muscle recovery after exercise.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Another egg eater here. I eat 3 eggs almost every day. Sometimes I have two whole eggs with two egg whites if I need to cut down on my calories for the day. I like to add veggies and a little cheese. Yum! Always used to think that eggs were bad, high in cholesterol, high in fat, etc. But I love the way they fill me up and keep me satisfied until lunch. And from reading other posts on here I have decided they are one of the healthiest foods to eat for breakfast.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    [

Oh i love the yolks but have medical issues which is why I don't eat the yokes. Sometimes I'll have 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites but most of the time I don't eat the yokes. My cholesterol has gone way down by following my doctors advice and nutritionist. So I stick with what works for me and go by what my dr and nutritionist advise me to do. No butter for me or bacon or sausage. And its shown great results in my blood work. I cook with all natural spray pam because it keeps me from over doing it on the oils. Plus my food comes out of the pan much easier. :wink: Believe me I would love to use butter when I cook but I can't. Would love to have bacon, salami, whole milk etc etc. With my family history of high cholesterol and strokes and heart disease I watch all those things.

Yeah I have cholesterol issues too. I have seen arguments that the cholesterol in eggs does not raise your cholesterol. Blood work does not lie though, so keep doing what you are doing. I use most egg whites too, we will see how my blood work comes back next time. I use myself as a guinea pig to find what foods impact me and what don't. :tongue:

Yup blood work doesn't lie. I know someone who thinks she can eat whatever she wants and then complains about her cholesterol levels. She'll eat pizza and cheese cake. She's had strokes and has high BP. Well when I was told i had high BP and high cholesterol I got on it and cut out everything the dr and nutritionist told me to. I'm no longer on any meds of any kind. NOTHING! No more pain from my Fibro or RA or even my MS. I tried going gluten free but that was really tough to stick with every single day. And it didn't really make much of a difference in my blood work or how I felt. Right now I can honestly say I haven't felt this good since I was 25 years old.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs often..

I had one this morning..

I love my mayoless egg salad and i put them in my fried rice and sometimes i throw one in my morning shake

eggs at IHOP are unhealthy. lol

eggs made at home loaded with healthy fillings are good for you

I don't make omeletes enough imo.. but when i do I love them with onion, peppers, tomatos, olives, feta, hot sauce or salsa. I've also put spinach in them and if i have left over meat from the night before i'll throw that in.. ham, chicken, pork.. whatever. it's all good in an egg.. Oh yea.. and that potato you didn't eat last night? Great in the frying pan with the above veggies!! mmmmm.. now I want eggs and hasbrowns.. LOL

Just be careful of bacon.. not because you should never eat it.. but because it's impossible to eat just 1 strip. LOL
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think omelettes are great and I find when I start my day eating them I am not so snacking during the day.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Omelettes are quick, nutritious and satisfying! Expand your horizons though and occasionally call it a frittata.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yum--new Eggbeaters with three cheese-- 3 tbsp = 25 cal. Loaded with mushrooms (microwave for 1 minute before adding eggwhites and drain liquid) Then microwave for 2 minutes. Eat between a low calorie English muffin. I microwave it in a large pyrex custard cup and it fits the English muffin perfectly. (Mushrooms provide 100% vit D) I also add a wedge of light Laughing Cow cheese or Weight Watchers (the jalapeno flavor is great.)
  • Sholmes82
    Options
    I usually have eggs a few times a week..I make mines with 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites because most of the good stuff is in the yolk so why throw it away?!I make it into an omelette with peppers onions and sometimes a little shredded cheese..in addition to my omelette I have oatmeal with strawberries and blueberries mixed in it is very filling and gets me through most of the day without feeling hungry at all
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Love eggs. Have high cholesterol but also hypothyroid. I can't take calcium or milk with my tablets. About all that leaves me is eggs and turkey bacon or sausage. As long as they are not loaded with cheese and oil they are great. I love a ton of vegetables in my omelet. i stay full longer also.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Omelets can be healthy if done right. Now if you'll excuse me, I really want one XD
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love omelettes! It's actually a great way to start your day as they contain healthy fats and great source of protein. For me personally, I find that by eating eggs in the morning, I tend to snack less throughout the day. Plus, omelettes are great way to include veggies -- throw in some mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, onions, etc, whatever takes your fancy and you're good to go.

Mmmmmmmm, I want an omelette now...with veggie sausages, mushrooms, red onion, spinach and cheese! :love:
  • m1key87
    m1key87 Posts: 113
    Options
    Guys really didnt expect this respone thank you everyone really giving me good idea's on what to do, really good advice people

THANK YOU
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I love omlettes with tons of fresh veggies and HOT salsa
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    People at work are wrong.

The only way omelettes are unhealthy is if you don't use cheese on it. Because with cheese omelettes become super delicious (versus just staying delicious) and denying yourself cheese is unhealthy for your soul. Feed your soul. Feed it eggs with cheese brotha!
  • babickler
    Options
    I eat eggs for breakfast or lunch several times a week. I find I am less hungry at lunch when I eat them for breakfast. Nothing wrong with eating eggs just make sure you log them and anything else you put in them.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    [

Yup blood work doesn't lie. I know someone who thinks she can eat whatever she wants and then complains about her cholesterol levels. She'll eat pizza and cheese cake. She's had strokes and has high BP. Well when I was told i had high BP and high cholesterol I got on it and cut out everything the dr and nutritionist told me to. I'm no longer on any meds of any kind. NOTHING! No more pain from my Fibro or RA or even my MS. I tried going gluten free but that was really tough to stick with every single day. And it didn't really make much of a difference in my blood work or how I felt. Right now I can honestly say I haven't felt this good since I was 25 years old.

Numbers don't lie. My total cholesterol dropped over 70 points to 170s and BP dropped from 140s/100s to 112/78 in 10 months never taking medication, just weight loss and increasing exercise. I eat 18 whole eggs a week. But what works for some doesn't for others.