Soy

Options
Whats your opinion on SOY??? The GMO, Non GMO, and the fermented??

Replies

• MelC2013
    Options
    I would always look for non-gmo.
  • rana_bear
    Options
    SOY is bad. K so i used to not have a problem eating and drinking soy products (as i'm allergic to dairy) but except for the occasional soy sauce and fermented soy, i try and steer clear of them. I believe they have played a part in hormonal issues, sluggish thyroid and lack of ovulation.

I would much rather have meat then tofu and almond or coconut milk instead of soy milk.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Dont really have much experience I would think soy is soy and your body processes it like normal. Unless you have an allergy. But I would think variety soy is good in a diet as long as you mix it up and enjoy being the Omnivore that you are!
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't know really.. I'm excited to see what everyone has to say though since I've heard such a variety of things (some bad.. some good!)relating to soy.

I LOVE soy milk and that's the only milk I've been drinking for a while now. For a month or 2 I'd down it like water but then I was told there was a lot of oestrogen in there and that too much could increase my risk of breast cancer so I've limited myself to a glass a day. max. But now I don't know.. apparently even that is too much so I bought normal skim milk this week... but I miss my soy milk :/
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I eat GMO steamed soybeans...

Main modification is being "round up ready".

My uncle grew about 2000 acres of these type soybeans this past season.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I eat soy and meat. Why would it be bad for you?
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat soy and meat. Why would it be bad for you?

There's lots of research on how soy causes all kinds of troubles. The main things I think though are because it's generally genetically modified and can mess with a persons hormones (like too much oestrogen, and lowered fertility). That's just things I've heard though. haven't done any deep research myself on the topic.
  • disdatdude
    Options
    Soy is not good for MEN...
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Soy is not good for MEN...

o-rly.jpg
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with soy. If you are consuming loads of crappy processed soy products, that is one thing, but if you are eating it in it's least processed forms, it can be very beneficial. Edamame, tempeh, and tofu are your best sources and you want to avoid GMO soy and go organic if you can. Soy is fine for men and women. Just stay moderate in your consumption, as with anything else.
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Personally.. I think the negative effects of soy are overexaggerated. I eat soy multiple times a day, especially in replacement for meat/dairy (which I feel like in excess could be more detrimental to one's health). Soy has been a staple in the diet of various countries for thousands of years, who have had little problem with reproduction, etc. I just make sure to buy products marked organic and GMO-free as much as possible.
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Firstly, SOY is plant product, carrying numerous health benefits including those for your heart. It does have estrogen component to it, which is ok for women and in most cases OK for grown men. Not so OK for male kids that are going through their developmental cycle.

For grown adults, it has net benefits and net risks. Anything consumed in excess is bad for you. Not just soy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    I like to dip my sushi in it.:wink:
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    All the soy protein foods are highly processed. I would avoid them for the same reason I avoid all other highly processed foods.

Asians ate primarily fermented soy products, and they used them more as condiments than the main meal. Soy sauce, miso, and tempeh are foods I view much more positively than texturized vegetable protein, soymilk, soy hot dogs, and the like.

A lot of people are allergic to soy. It's one of the most highly allergenic foods. So that's another good reason to keep it a small part of one's diet.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have eaten it pretty regularly throughout my life and never ever had problems (nor any of my family on my asian side). If you like it and don't have issues - stick with it. Other processed soy products have been fine for me as well.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Personally.. I think the negative effects of soy are overexaggerated. I eat soy multiple times a day, especially in replacement for meat/dairy (which I feel like in excess could be more detrimental to one's health). Soy has been a staple in the diet of various countries for thousands of years, who have had little problem with reproduction, etc. I just make sure to buy products marked organic and GMO-free as much as possible.

lol..I agree about the exaggeration! Not this thread, but others that have put a hand down saying soy is just bad bad bad..I have to laugh and point out that there are nations that eat have eaten soy for centuries and continue to eat it consistently and they do just fine on it. :laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Japan practically lives on soy. They live longer than the West. If soy was so bad, most of Asia would have died off centuries ago.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    Japan practically lives on soy. They live longer than the West. If soy was so bad, most of Asia would have died off centuries ago.
    Those darn centenarians of Okinawa must be special snowflakes with all that soy they eat.
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Soy is horrible.

Japan lives on SOY BEAN which has excellent health benefits. America took soy, processed it, pumped chemicals into it and left us with soy milk which is the unhealthiest thing out there. It creates mucas in our bodies more than any other dairy product.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    All the food is poison.