Do you count cleaning as exercise?

Options
Having a bit of a debate with my spouse about whether or not cleaning counts as exercise. I spent four hours cleaning my child's room today, it was a huge project that took a lot of time and energy. I was actually sweating at some points. So, I put in two hours of light/moderate cleaning in my exercise log, just to be careful. My husband said it shouldn't count. What say you?

Replies

• PinkRhythm428
    PinkRhythm428 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't generally count cleaning as an exercise, but I might in a situation such as yours. I remember late last month when I was getting the house ready for my older daughter's birthday party, which included taking down the Christmas tree and all kinds of stuff. I think it would be acceptable to put it down for a bigger project, one that takes a few hours, because it is not normally in your daily routine. If you cleaned like that constantly then I wouldn't count it because it would be part of your normal routine.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Only if you're cleaning the gym equipment, after using it...
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have put my lifestyle as sedentary and then would manually add everything. I would definitely count a big project like this.
    Now I use a Fitbit and it takes care of my lifestyle calories on any given day.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Tidying up around the house I do not count/log it... but I do a deep 4 hour clean every two weeks and you bet I count that!!! 4 hours is a long time to be dragging things up and down stairs, cleaning walls, wiping cabinets, vigorously cleaning the tub.. etc... I underestimate on the calories burned... but I do log it, and I do enjoy eating back the calories from doing it :)
  • raggydolljodie
    Options
    i think it depends on the individual and also how physical it is ie washing a car, gardening, painting a room etc.

https://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/exercise/tips/housework_workouts.htm
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is about 2900 due to cleaning half the day. It's usually only 2500.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not log it and have it as extra floaty magical calories than count it and end up over-estimating. Unless I purposefully set out to do a workout, I don't add it.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Never have.......never will.
    I even tend to be an OCD type cleaner, every nook and cranny, and you will still never see "cleaning" grace my exercise log.
  • s_reynolds777
    s_reynolds777 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's up to you really. I usually count those as extra credit calories and it makes me feel good to know I went over and above. I usually don't long them, but then again I wouldn't rule it out. Remember logging is for YOU to make sure you keep yourself on track. If you want to log them, log them, but keep with your standard exercise you had planned for the day and get an extra burn! I did my girls rooms today too by the way.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count light cleaning like vaccuming, but if you are moving and doing strainuous work, then yes. Put on your Heart Rate Monitor and see if your heart rate is up. If its not something you do daily, thats not part of your regular activity. Today I moved boxes, went up and down the stairs, etc. It was WORK!! I counted it! I don't usually do ALLLL THAT!!! LOL!! It counts!
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it because I cleaned before this and it didn't help me lose weight then so I don't think it would help me now, have to do extra workouts
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    No. Not unless I stop and do bicep curls with the bleach container or decide to squat my vacuum cleaner. I like to think of it as a happy extra burn for the day.
  • ximills
    ximills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I count pretty much everything. It is not negatively affecting my fitness goals.
  • Badd3st
    Badd3st Posts: 28
    Options
    Deep cleaning, yes.
  • Why wouldn't you! Your active and moving! Your heart rate is elevated and your burning a lot more calories then watching tv. You may not see "House Cleaning" as the new work out class at the gym but you were exerting force and energy. If you want you could try focusing on things like how you bend down when cleaing...use good squating form and get even more bang for your buck! Sounds like your husband should be greatfull you cleaned the room and happy you want to be healthy over all. :)
  • AdrianPT
    Options
    I believe any form of movement can be classified as an exercise although the effectiveness is another thing. Movement burns calorie so if your think about it your up walking around the house moving your arm working on the arm and legs also some stretches may be out into the mix.

But overall is it an exercise .. It contain walking which is classified as a basic cardiovascular exercise, and it can include the use of your are which can be classified as some arm toning exercises :) do as much as you like, remember every little helps
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    no really.... I have always been really active... so If I count things like cleaning or walking for certain hours... I would consider that like cheating because that is nothing for my body....
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on if you include it in your determination of sedentary, lightly active, etc. If you don't, count it. If you do, don't. For me, when I don't work it wouldn't be right to count it. If I have a particularly active work day, such as subbing PE, I'll add a little activity for that.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I wouldn't...I have a heart rate monitoring watch, and I don't usually record activities outside of "sedentary" unless my heart rate reaches 120+ for an extended period of time. Otherwise, I'm afraid of inputting too many calories lost. I would rather be on the safe side...
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I do light cleaning during the week to, but if I did 4 hours of continuous, sweat inducing, cleaning I think I would have approached it the same way you did, underestimated by cutting in half. You get to count some of the calories you earned and the rest are "floaty magical calories" as auroranflash said.