Why girls shouldn't lift weights like men - disgusting hey?

Options

Replies

• bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Matt, I'm curious as a newbie. How long did it take her from when she started? And i'm presuming she was at a good weight already when she started? Also with what weights/reps did she start?

thank you!

years.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    quote]

This look was gained with a sharp diet, lifting heavy weights like me (she squats 60kg for 30 reps x 3 sets, 77.5k for 12 reps!) and ZERO cardio.

Just something to think about :smile:

Absolutely incredible, I would love to look like that. I can only squat 5KG LOL! but im hoping I can increase as time goes on, its easy for someone to say 'Lift heavy' when I simply havent got the strength right now. What does her meals look like, how many calories does she eat? is she on MFP? :blushing:

I'm sure if you can carry your own handbag then you can squat more than 5kg.
    [/quote]

lol. The most I squat right now, and do deadlifts, bent over rows etc with is 20kg, and I find that heavy. Although I can pick up both my kids at the same time - my nearly 4 year old must weight 16kg, or very nearly, and my 20 month old must be 10kg!
  • NatashaB8
    NatashaB8 Posts: 202
    Options
    Wow, this is really motivating me. I have been lifting for almost two months now and I love it. Unfortunately I think it will take me a while until I reach her stage. She is lucky to have her other half as a PT!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Matt, I'm curious as a newbie. How long did it take her from when she started? And i'm presuming she was at a good weight already when she started? Also with what weights/reps did she start?

thank you!

years.

6 months actually :smile:

As for her weight, yes she had it under control, around 60kg as previously stated, at 5' 3", altho she has been heavier in the past.
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Well done to her, I think she looks great!
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    i will never lift a weight! women with muscles that big are just weird (no offence to anyone)

Weight lifting is functional, and not always about size and muscle growth. I hope you never have children. Otherwise, you shouldn't pick them up. That's lifting weights.

Lifting weights (although great for the people who end up with awesome bodies) is for me about mobility and function. Being able to use your own strength to lift yourself off the ground, to put stuff on high shelves, to pick up small children, etc. Lifting weights lets your prevent bone brittleness (osteoporosis) and loss of movement when you get older.

When you get older and those people who fall and can't get up, it's because of muscle atrophy and bone brittleness. Lifting weights prevents that. Staying active in all types of movement prevents that. Lifting weights helps with balance.

So if you don't want to look like that, that's fine, but you don't have to - even lifting weights. I don't look like that and I lift heavy weights.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    That is so disgusting that I can't stop looking at it. LOL

This ^^^
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    And to those critizing her hard work in any way - the only ugly I'm seeing here is your words.
    Agree 100%. The work, dedication and discipline it takes to achieve a physique like that (or even slightly above the norm, for that matter) is something the haters will never even begin to be able to fathom.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think it is incredibly sweet that you are showing off ur fiancé . This is inspirational. Also, who cares is she has breast implants. She worked hard for that body. Maybe she wasn't interested in appearing soft, feminine with little muscle tone. Don't judge.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

If we're just talking about the aesthetics, I think she looks great, but I think the reason her muscles are more noticeable and defined is that she has low body fat. I think she would also look great and have a fantastic shape with more average body fat, but she wouldn't look so obviously muscular. I know low body fat tends to be promoted here and is necessary for fitness models/bodybuilders/etc. but I don't know if there are actually any health benefits to having it so low. The lifting can still have health benefits, regardless of body fat, surely?

Just saying that it's not necessary to aim to look like this, and that some people never will be able to.

Yes, leaner people, with a BMI 20-25 live far longer. Simple medical fact.

Also as stated, the body is getting used as intended - lots of clean and healthy foods with no additives and the bones strengthened.

However there is no correct way to 'look' - this is simply one option and one that a lot of people are coming around to like.

I was meaning body fat % rather than BMI. I'm not convinced of the advantage of a woman having say 15% body fat rather than 25% body fat. (As for BMI, there was that recent analysis showing that overweight people might have a slight advantage in terms of life span, so it's not clear cut). It also might be more difficult to maintain.

I know you are not personally saying this is the correct way to look, but it's a look that I seem to be seeing more of these days, and it can be just as unattainable as the fashion model look.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I like feeling stronger..i like the sense of achievement I feel. I like that as a 43yo mother of a 11mth old (5 altogether) I can easily pick him up. My hubs likes it...the definition unveiling. I'm seriously inspired though to lift heavier.

I solemnly swear I will..But as for ZERO cardio..I'm not giving up my kick bag. No..bloody..way! Lol
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    i will never lift a weight! women with muscles that big are just weird (no offence to anyone)

Her muscles arent big they are just defined. Gaining muscle means you burn more calories daily, some people really dont get the weight lifting benefits (no offence).

Also i wander why you would be so negative about someones hard work and their determination to succeed?
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    yo220113.jpg

This look was gained with a sharp diet, lifting heavy weights like me (she squats 60kg for 30 reps x 3 sets, 77.5k for 12 reps!) and ZERO cardio.

....and a boob job.
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Options

thank you!

Dieting and properly under my supervision (her choice, not forced before anyone says) since mid October 2012 altho I did suggest a basic diet at the end of August to her, it was more guidelines than stuck to. You could argue 6 months, I'd say 4.

Yo started at around 60kg, she is currently 56kg however she has dropped fat and gained muscle so in just 4 months she's really really sharpened up.

Natashaa1991 - each to their own. I don't understand why you have to come and post this on the thread which is promoting healthy living and lifting, however?

tabbyavalon - could you not class your hair and piercings as weird? Again, each to their own!

Ps - I'm pierced and tattoed in more than one place tabbyavalon, so do not take offence :smile:

Actually I don't think women look nice over pumped where they start resembling men but she looks wonderful very feminine and your right everyone to their own
    As I have just started loosing weight would I need to loose most of my weight to tone up my muscles with weights or can I start now I weigh 82 kilos would appreciate some advice please
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    yo220113.jpg

That body is my ultimate goal
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    yo220113.jpg

....and a boob job.

That said, wow. She looks amazing.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    She looks great, I'd love to have muscle definition like that!
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Some of the replies in this thread make me disgusted with humanity. The woman has worked hard - she looks great! I don't care if her boobs are fake or not - my eyes don't go there first. I see all the sweat and crappy-sleep nights from soreness that she went through to get here! Oh, and the self-control in her diet. I'd be proud as hell to flaunt that body! Also shows there's more than one way to skin a cat by her training style. Kudos to both of you!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i love lifting weights . for me anyway, it is a great stress reliever and i feel better after a good hard core workout .
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

thank you!

Dieting and properly under my supervision (her choice, not forced before anyone says) since mid October 2012 altho I did suggest a basic diet at the end of August to her, it was more guidelines than stuck to. You could argue 6 months, I'd say 4.

Yo started at around 60kg, she is currently 56kg however she has dropped fat and gained muscle so in just 4 months she's really really sharpened up.

Natashaa1991 - each to their own. I don't understand why you have to come and post this on the thread which is promoting healthy living and lifting, however?

tabbyavalon - could you not class your hair and piercings as weird? Again, each to their own!

Ps - I'm pierced and tattoed in more than one place tabbyavalon, so do not take offence :smile:

Awesome!! I would love to look like that. Ready to start lifting heavy and I dream of having a body like that!!! I think there is nothing more beautiful that a strong, healthy looking woman. Not rail thin..